Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Air Conditioning Fan

Hello everyone,
New problem just started about a week ago. My air circulation fan does not always come on right away. About every other time I start up it takes 5-10 minutes to start blowing. I have turned it off of the auto setting and turned it to high but that doesn't help. I can feel the cold air so I know the compressor is working. The temp outside has been in the upper 80's & lo 90's so it should be kicking. When it suddenly starts blasting air, as normal, it is nice and cold. Sometimes it comes on instantly as it always has. What should I be looking for and checking?

I will also add that it is a "09" XR 3.6 w/ 52,000 and automatic climate control.

Thanks
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Air Conditioning Fan

Anybody.................
Anything ? ......................
Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Did you try searching for threads about this issue within Saturnfans?

2-If yours uses the auto climate control system, this may be a climate control head problem.

With or without service manuals, troubleshooting may be simplified for diyers by ensuring all fuses and relays are in good condition, checking for a blocked cabin filter, examining wiring to the blower motor and if possible - wiring the blower directly to the battery to see if the blower is worn out. Powering the blower directly to the battery separates possible blower failure from wiring and the control panel containing microprocessor electronics.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I think the blower motor and fuses are fine. It operates normally, most of the time, and I don't hear any unusual sounds, squeeks or rubbing sounds, from the blower. It is intermitant when it doesn't run. Where is the cabin filter located that I need to look for blockage? I didn't think the 09 Aura had one. Begining to shudder at the thought you may be right on with the faulty head unit. How much does that one cost?
Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know if Aura's use a cabin filter so the usual areas may be under the window cowl between the wipers or inside behind the glove compartment. If you have your owner's manual, review it. L300's were discontinued so the Aura replaced it. My cabin filter resides under the window cowling with a large plastic hinged flap covering access; opening the hood and popping the plastic panel reveals the wide filter (large than the engine filter). My guess is Aura's use a cabin filter. I may be wrong.

One Vue owner posted about poor a/c cooling at low speed, local traffic in Texas heat but great cooling at highway speed. Vues use two cooling fans. It was determined not an a/c problem as most suspected but loss of one cooling fan. Texas heat demands near constant a/c use and premature cooling fan failure wasn't expected. A new fan restored low speed a/c cooling and was cheaper than an expensive a/c repair when a/c wasn't failing.

With Saturn discontinued, either GM parts online or ebay are two sources for new and used parts and may be discounted as no one wants to hold new parts at retail when Saturn doesn't exist...............
Old 08-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasact View Post
Begining to shudder at the thought you may be right on with the faulty head unit. How much does that one cost?
its not uncommon for the auto climate heads to fail intermittently.

used units are cheap enough on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...imate&_sacat=0

i'm unsure if new ones are still available.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasact View Post
Where is the cabin filter located that I need to look for blockage? I didn't think the 09 Aura had one.
i don't think any aura was fitted with a cabin filter (& i've never understood why) but u can jerry-rig one in easily enough.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

How do I remove all of the trim to get to the climate control head unit? I have not had this happen again for the last couple of days. I want to check all of the electrical connections and make sure nothing is loose.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

http://integrationsolutions.net/RADI...A_REPLACE.HTML
Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It seemed to be working much better, so I thought I had got real lucky. Just because, I decided to disassembled the control unit and cleaned all of the connections. I reassembled using dielectric grease. All went well and I thought mayby I just had a bad connection. Now just this morning I am heading to work 70 degrees outside with temp set to 68 degrees. Temp was about 90 degrees in my garage. It comes on as normal with a blast of cold air to cool itself down. Fan would normally have shutdown after a couple of minutes, but it doesn't. It continues to blast cold air on high speed and I can't slow down the fan for the next 25 minutes. I am now back the thinking that it is the control (head) unit again. Could the unit need to be reprogramed? If I purchase and replace the control unit, will that need to be reprogramed?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't have info for '09's but do for '08's. Presuming the hvac auto climate control systems are the same (open to correction), there are two electronic parts to the hvac system; the climate control head and a separate blower control module next to the blower motor. If you can verify having the blower control module then you may have to visit GM to determine whether its the control head or blower c/m. At the least, checking for loose connections to the blower module can eliminate the simple problems.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It has been several weeks since I checked and cleaned all of the connections. It has been working normally 90% of the time. On a couple of times it has been delayed about 2-3 minutes before blowing any air. On one occasion it seemed to be stuck blowing air on high and wouldn'd slow down at all, and one time it worked perfectly, but when I got home and shut the car off, pulling the key, the fan continued to blow air.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
rgreg1
rgreg1 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Air Conditioning Fan

2007 Saturn Aura XR 3.51. Went out to start car. No power to the climate control module. Radio and instrument cluster is fine, Just no power for the LED automatic control module. So now the car warms up, but no fan, no control for temp , etc.. I checked what fuses I could although not finding it easy getting info on what fuses and relays to check. But anyway didn't find any blown fuses related to the ac/heat.

Could the control module just quit like that? was working great when I shut it off 2 days ago......
rgreg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Check for blown fuses; a 10 amp HVAC CTRL and 30 amp IBCM 1-20.