SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
orendon
orendon is on a distinguished road

Default Engine heating issue

When I go for a long ride I usually return to this (see attachment). Any idea what's causing it?
orendon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
orendon

Default Re: Engine heating issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by orendon View Post
When I go for a long ride I usually return to this (see attachment). Any idea what's causing it?
I have a 2007 Saturn Aura and when I finish driving the coolant reservoir fills up with coolant and gushes out of the overflow. I can't post links if not I'd post a video I captured and uploaded to YouTube.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #3
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
I have a 2007 Saturn Aura and when I finish driving the coolant reservoir fills up with coolant and gushes out of the overflow. .
sounds like u have a breach in the system & the coolant is boiling. coolant must be kept under pressure or it boils.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #4
orendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
sounds like u have a breach in the system & the coolant is boiling. coolant must be kept under pressure or it boils.
So where should I be looking at for this type of issue?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

since i don't know which engine, i cant give u specific advice. generally, coolant leaks can be found using the dye & blacklight method or the pressurizing method.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

could be air bubble in system. see manual for procedure. think its same system on xe 3.5 and xr 3.6..
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
orendon

Quote:
since i don't know which engine, i cant give u specific advice. generally, coolant leaks can be found using the dye & blacklight method or the pressurizing method.
Sorry it's the 3.5l
Old 07-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Sorry for the thread jack but My 08 3.5 started doing the same thing when I got back from a trip (leaving the car sitting for a week). I believe the thermostat stuck closed. I am attempting to replace the thermostat, but taking it all apart I broke the plastic neck that the heater hoses go to on the crossover pipe. I am going to go see if I can get the neck or if I have to get another crossover pipe. Also, the rear crossover gasket had been leaking for a while, and then slowed when spring/summer came. So I while I'm in there those crossover gaskets are getting replaced too.
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Sorry it's the 3.5l
if that 3.5l still has the original coolant crossover gaskets they are the first suspect. a very common issue for that engine to have those fail. google: 3.5l coolant crossover. u want to verify the leak location with the above mentioned methods.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerbigjon View Post
Sorry for the thread jack but My 08 3.5 started doing the same thing when I got back from a trip (leaving the car sitting for a week). I believe the thermostat stuck closed. I am attempting to replace the thermostat, but taking it all apart I broke the plastic neck that the heater hoses go to on the crossover pipe. I am going to go see if I can get the neck or if I have to get another crossover pipe. Also, the rear crossover gasket had been leaking for a while, and then slowed when spring/summer came. So I while I'm in there those crossover gaskets are getting replaced too.
u might get something from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGHlzDH2wlY
Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
greenman

2009 AURA XE

for the OP, here's added detail:

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...crossover-leak
Old 07-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
orendon

Could a damaged radiator be causing this? I was hit on the front driver side a few months back and thought it was all cosmetic until I did a coolant flush and found out the radiator was pushed back. It was difficult to reach the drain because of how the radiator sits now.

I am currently waiting for the insurance to accept the estimates. I was thinking of waiting after that to see if I still have this issue since I can't remember if this started before or after the crash.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Could a damaged radiator be causing this? I was hit on the front driver side a few months back and thought it was all cosmetic until I did a coolant flush and found out the radiator was pushed back. It was difficult to reach the drain because of how the radiator sits now.

I am currently waiting for the insurance to accept the estimates. I was thinking of waiting after that to see if I still have this issue since I can't remember if this started before or after the crash.
if the issue began shortly after u flushed then yes, like onefunkar pointed out, u might just have air trapped in the system. otherwise, air is getting in & coolant is leaking out somewhere.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
u might get something from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGHlzDH2wlY
I reviewed the video a few times in the past year before having to disassemble it in the last couple days.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Sorry to threadjack again. Have the thermostat and crossover gaskets installed. Let it run, bled air out for ever it seems. Runs okay, but still tries to overheat. Seems to be acting like a bad water pump now that I've done that.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

i have personally seen some bad third party stats out-of-the-box so will only use oem now.
i would be very surprised if the vanes of the water pump corroded enough to cause poor circulation even if the coolant was never changed since '08.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #17
explorerbigjon

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
i have personally seen some bad third party stats out-of-the-box so will only use oem now.
i would be very surprised if the vanes of the water pump corroded enough to cause poor circulation even if the coolant was never changed since '08.
I found out I had a big pocket of air still, so the water pump had been ruled out. While at work I was able to use the lift to raise the front of the car with the surge tank cap removed, moving all the air from the engine, radiator, and hoses to the surge tank. Seems to have fixed the issue, there were no problems driving on the way back home.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
orendon

What's the best way to "burp" the air out? Can't seem to find a good guide that uses a reservoir tank.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are no best ways to burp a cooling system. According to service manuals, all service is done with the engine level, following procedures to eliminate air in a system. Here are two files to read. If you still insist on burping your system and ignore service manual procedures, you can always drive the car up on portable ramps or find a place to park with the front wheels higher than the rear. The car doesn't have to be at 45 degrees as long as the front wheels are a little higher than the rear wheels. Doing it this way still means removing the coolant cap and running the engine until the top radiator hose warms up. This tells you the t-stat opened and any air should be purged into the coolant container, lowering coolant levels. If this doesn't show lowering of coolant then no air remains and the system is already running purged of any air.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote