SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Parking Brake Cable end broke off

Hey guys, this is the 2nd issue I've had with this rather poorly designed parking brake.

First problem I had was the parking brake assembly splitting apart and allowing the cable to get stuck in-between it's components rendering it useless. I remedied that by welding said components together so that they couldn't possibly separate even again.

But, Now I have a new issue. The end of the cable just broke off. The little nub or retainer at the very end of it came off, it's the part that sits inside the parking brake assembly and it's what gets yanked on.

I've tried welding a new nub to the end of the cable, but it just keeps getting torn off. So my question is this; does anyone know what the part number is for that cable? I've been able to find the two cables that split up to each wheel, but not the one that goes from the pedal assembly to the splitter.

Thanks!

Edward
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Parking Brake Cable end broke off

LEVER. PARKING BRAKE APPLY:

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...ey_model=15693
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Lol I found the same website right before I got the email alerting me to your post.
Thanks though!!

Edward
Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
orendon
orendon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_tek001 View Post
Lol I found the same website right before I got the email alerting me to your post.
Thanks though!!

Edward
I had mine replaced with the recall and it still ended up breaking 7 months after. I called the GM recall line and did the work again. Should of left it alone.
orendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orendon View Post
I had mine replaced with the recall and it still ended up breaking 7 months after. I called the GM recall line and did the work again. Should of left it alone.
There was a recall? Crap! That's news to me...

Oh well, I ended up going to a wrecking yard and pulling a cable from an 05 Malibu. $10
Pretty easy repair

Edward.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
orendon

Quote:

Oh well, I ended up going to a wrecking yard and pulling a cable from an 05 Malibu. $10
Pretty easy repair

Edward.
The cable didn't break. The plastic piece that I guess kept the cable in place broke off. The second dealer that did the job claimed the job wasn't done correctly. Just happy I didn't have to pay.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #7
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
it news to me too. i'm unaware of any such recall on the aura.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
orendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
it news to me too. i'm unaware of any such recall on the aura.
Related?

Report Receipt Date: APR 30, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V224000
Component(s): POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,131,113
All Products Associated with this Recall expand
Details close
22 Associated Documents expand
Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
SUMMARY:
General Motors LLC (GM) notified the agency on April 29, 2014, that they are recalling 56,214 model year 2007 and 2008 Saturn Aura vehicles. On May 22, 2014, GM increased the recall to include an additional 1,074,899 model year 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu vehicles manufactured from May 16, 2003, through October 5, 2007, model year 2004-2007 Malibu Maxx vehicles manufactured from June 25, 2003, through April 5, 2007, and model year 2005-2008 Pontiac G6 vehicles manufactured from May 26, 2004, through September 28, 2007, and equipped with 4-speed transmissions. The total number vehicles being recalled is now 1,131,113.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the transmission shift cable fractures while the vehicle is being driven, the transmission gear selection may not match the indicated gear and the vehicle may move in an unintended or unexpected direction, increasing the risk of a crash. Furthermore, when the driver goes to stop and park the vehicle, despite selecting the ‘PARK’ position, the transmission may not be in ‘PARK.’ If the vehicle is not in the "PARK" position there is a risk the vehicle will roll away as the driver and other occupants exit the vehicle or anytime thereafter. A vehicle rollaway increases the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders.
REMEDY:
GM will notify owners, and GM dealers will replace the shift cable assembly and mounting bracket, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-553-6000. GM's number for this recall is 14152.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

that is for the tranny shift cable.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

If it breaks again, message me. I have a spare one including the pedal assembly.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
HuskyDog
HuskyDog is on a distinguished road

I'm going down the same path as you. My parking brake pedal assembly also split -- the same way as yours. Replaced it. About a year later the end of the cable popped off -- the same as yours.

I'm hoping to get a replacement cable from the salvage yard.

Seems like the other end of the parking brake cable from the pedal assembly is likely buried within the center console (the point where it connects to the separate cables going to the left-rear and right-rear calipers). Did you have to do a major tear-down of the center console to replace the cable? Remove the drivers seat? Any tips on replacing this cable would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
HuskyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

It has been a little while since I did it, so I don't remember exactly what the procedure was. But I'll try my best, if memory serves you do need to pull some of the carpet up which means you need to pull some of the plastic molding along the door edge off. I don't think you have to pull out the driver's seat but I'm pretty sure it makes it a lot easier if you do. The center console definitely needs to come out because you're right all of the linkages are there. Also if you're going to a salvage yard, you can pull the cable from an older Malibu as well which is probably a lot easier to find than a Saturn Aura. Best thing to do is look up the part number for the Saturn Aura and then cross reference it to find out what other vehicles it works in if I remember correctly I took mine out of a 2005 Chevy Malibu. Also the driver seat is super easy to take out it's just four bolts and one or two wiring harnesses underneath.

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDog View Post
I'm going down the same path as you. My parking brake pedal assembly also split -- the same way as yours. Replaced it. About a year later the end of the cable popped off -- the same as yours.

I'm hoping to get a replacement cable from the salvage yard.

Seems like the other end of the parking brake cable from the pedal assembly is likely buried within the center console (the point where it connects to the separate cables going to the left-rear and right-rear calipers). Did you have to do a major tear-down of the center console to replace the cable? Remove the drivers seat? Any tips on replacing this cable would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
jimmyfloyd

2007 AURA XR

Your other option is to purchase the one I have for sale. If you can tell me where they usually have issues, I will check mine to make sure the issue is not present first. Then I can ship it to you to save yourself the time locating and pulling it from the junkyard. PM me with an offer if you are interested. I have no set price on it, so just make an offer for what you believe it's worth. It is the cable and pedal assembly together from an Aura. Will get the part number later
Old 10-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

The two places they have issues are, first where the cable wraps around and locks into the actual foot brake assembly, the rivets holding the assembly together start to loosen and it begins to split apart allowing the cable to singe in between and get stuck while at the same time acting as though it's longer rendering it useless. The second problem is that the knob on the end of the cable breaks off

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
Your other option is to purchase the one I have for sale. If you can tell me where they usually have issues, I will check mine to make sure the issue is not present first. Then I can ship it to you to save yourself the time locating and pulling it from the junkyard. PM me with an offer if you are interested. I have no set price on it, so just make an offer for what you believe it's worth. It is the cable and pedal assembly together from an Aura. Will get the part number later
Old 10-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
jimmyfloyd

2007 AURA XR

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked, and noticed that my cable is indeed missing the end of the cable, probably like that of the person lookinf for the cable unfortunately. My pedal assembly looks good, and the cable, aside from the end, looks good.

Guess I'll toss the pedal on ebay and the cable in the trash. Sorry I could not be of help.

Quote:
The two places they have issues are, first where the cable wraps around and locks into the actual foot brake assembly, the rivets holding the assembly together start to loosen and it begins to split apart allowing the cable to singe in between and get stuck while at the same time acting as though it's longer rendering it useless. The second problem is that the knob on the end of the cable breaks off

Edward
Old 10-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

I stopped using mine after it started to not fully release. I always seem to have issues with disc brake parking mechanisms. Having the same issue with a 2010 Fusion. Now it only gets used when the car is inspected and then I get out the channel locks and fully release both sides.
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

It's actually a bad idea to not use it, as it will tend to rust and seize itself. Furthermore using the parking brake actually helps prevent damage to your parking pin in your transmission even a slight incline or decline places a great deal of stress on the parking pin on an automatic transmission . Always good to make a habit of using your parking brake every time you turn off the car even if it's only half tension .

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano92sl View Post
I stopped using mine after it started to not fully release. I always seem to have issues with disc brake parking mechanisms. Having the same issue with a 2010 Fusion. Now it only gets used when the car is inspected and then I get out the channel locks and fully release both sides.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #18
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

You may be right, I'm just giving my personal experience (40yrs). I've tried using it every time I park to keep it moving, but always had them stick in the end, and also I never had an issue with my automatic transmission "parking pins", nor heard of anyone having a transmission issue relating to their parking pin. Maybe it has more impact in a hilly area? All my old cars with rear drums never had a parking brake issue.
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #19
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

It's not common, and yeah if you're not completely ignorant, you'd never have an issue. But there's to many ignoramus people out there, better to just make it a habit and spread the word.
Here's more on the "potential" issue: myautomatictransmission.com/transmission-parking-pawl.htm

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano92sl View Post
You may be right, I'm just giving my personal experience (40yrs). I've tried using it every time I park to keep it moving, but always had them stick in the end, and also I never had an issue with my automatic transmission "parking pins", nor heard of anyone having a transmission issue relating to their parking pin. Maybe it has more impact in a hilly area? All my old cars with rear drums never had a parking brake issue.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
HuskyDog
HuskyDog is on a distinguished road

Edward,

Thanks for the great feedback! I got a cable from a local salvage yard. Looks in pretty good shape. They pulled it -- don't let customers touch their cars. The only part of the replacement that scares me is tearing down the center console. I've had the drivers seat out before. Do you remember if the console comes apart pretty easy? Is it just popping off some trim pieces to get to some hidden screws? Do you need to remove the tranny shift lever to get the console out?

Thanks again!
Gregg
HuskyDog is offline   Reply With Quote