SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Eonon GM5155

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to give some initial impressions on the GM5155 head unit from Eonon.

First, a little background.
I purchased a Eonon D5122 from a fellow Saturnfans member last year. It worked well for a while, but I started having some minor problems with the touchscreen after a couple months, and then the unit failed to power on. Eonon honored their 2 year warranty on the unit, and sent me a replacement GM5155 unit, which I received today. It took about 3 weeks from when I sent in my unit to when I got the replacement. I had to pay $40 to ship the unit back to Hong Kong (clearly stated in their terms and conditions when buying the unit.) They paid shipping for the new unit. Since it was a warranty replacement, I did not own any duty on the unit. They have almost always responded to my e-mails within a day, and considering they are a 12 hour time difference, that's pretty good.

The unit came very well packed. It was in a sealed heavy poly bag, then had a layer of bubble wrap under that, covering the box, and then the box itself has good protection inside for the unit.

Eonon well packed.jpg

First off, the replacement unit I received was a refurbished unit and seems to have an intermittent touchscreen issue. It seems like a loose connection in the front, because if I squeeze the bezel in the right spot, it works fine, but not consistently, so I plan to remove it and send it back to be fixed or replaced, but I wanted to give my first impressions.

The build quality difference between this model and the previous model seems to be much improved. In addition, they've addressed nearly all the complaints I had in the previous units, and they've added a few more features. This really is greatly improved all around.

Sound: Sound quality is greatly improved over both the stock radio (I have the OEM 7 speaker stereo with the 6 disk changer) and over the previous Eonon model, even with the stock speakers. The bluetooth streaming sounds perfect, which is a great improvement over their previous model. The FM reception could be a bit better. It's OK, but not as good as the stock radio. The CD/DVD players work as expected, and audio is great.

Screen: The screen is greatly improved compared to the previous version. It's larger (7" vs 6.2"), the touch responsiveness works very well, and the screen is much brighter than before, with adjustment for brightness, contrast and color. The screen autodims when the headlights are turned on, and the screen can be adjusted for both night and daytime modes

Looks These photos aren't be best, but I'm trying to demonstrate a few things. First, the paint is a very close match. It's a bit less sparkly than the stock paint, but the color is good, and most people won't notice the difference. The LED color doesn't have as good of a match as the previous version (it's slightly more orange), but it's not horrible.

Eonon Paint Color.jpg
Eonon LED color.jpg

Overall, the unit looks very stock and fits well.

Miracast: This feature lets you screen mirror your phone onto the headunit screen. Keep in mind that you can't control your phone via this screen, as it's just a display, but it's kind of neat if you wanted to show your GPS on the screen. This is the main feature difference between the D5155 and the GM5155. Personally, some people might like this feature, but I could do without it.

Steering Controls and Astra Screen: The steering controls do work with this unit out of the box. You can still access your board computer and you can control the volume, mute, change stations, etc with the steering controls. Additionally, if you don't have steering controls, you can still access your board computer, set the clock, etc. because the radio has soft keys for BC, arrow, enter, etc in a menu in the radio. The Astra Screen is still used by the radio to display the radio station, phone numbers, and other messages.

Bluetooth Phone: The phone interface it great. You can pair your phone with NFC (just hold the phone over the NFC logo on the radio, enter the code, and then you are set from then on). The phone sounds great over the speakers in the car. The microphone in the head unit isn't spectacular, but Eonon seems to be addressing this in some newer models by adding an external microphone. People could hear me, but I had to talk loudly and they said there was a decent amount of background noise.

User Interface: My photos don't capture this well, but this is a nice looking screen and a great looking interface. It's very logically laid out and looks very modern. The speed of the system is good, with no lag. They did a very nice job making everything look great.

Installation: This install took me about 20 minutes, and I'm not joking about that. I did it in the parking lot during my lunch break at work. I had the glovebox out already, because I knew the radio was coming, but removing the old radio is a breeze with the provided radio keys. You route and connect the GPS and Miracast antennas, the antenna, the back-up camera (if you install one), and connect the wiring harness. The hardest part is stuffing all the wiring back into the dash. There is a lot more wiring than stock, but it does fit. I'll post my tips on that at a later date.

I guess that's all for now. If there's enough interest, someone can set up a group buy with Eonon. They typically will need 10 buyers to activate a group buy, but it would be a cheaper price than their website (currently $246 for the D series and $330 for the GM series) with free shipping. Keep in mind that there will be some duty/taxes on these units, since they are imported. Also, for XE owners, there is a D5154 and GM 5155 which match the charcoal dash. XR's have the silver dash. If you want navigation, you need to order maps for an additional fee, or buy your own separately. I didn't get maps, so I can't comment on that performance.

So, there's my initial review. I'm disappointed to get a unit with a defective touchscreen, but I'm an electrical engineer, and I know how tough it is sometime to notice an intermittent problem during testing, plus, it may have been fine before it shipped, but just been damaged in transit on it's way from Hong Kong. The seem to be standing behind their products, and there really isn't anything else out there at this price point that will keep the stock look, let you keep your radio controls, and really improves the feature set of the car to bring it up to a modern infotainment level.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

Last edited by emg77; 04-14-2014 at 09:44 PM.
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eonon GM5155

Can you post the link to it?
Ryan
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraLover View Post
Can you post the link to it?
http://www.eonon.com/searchResult.as...1&txtKey=astra
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Thank you sir definitely gonna order one in a month or so. and amazing write up by the way
Ryan
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Blue08XR3
Blue08XR3 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: Eonon GM5155

Thank you very much for the great review! I've been looking at this for my wife's XR. Just haven't decided if I want to get the silver, or wait and change the interior to black first and get the black model. This has definitely convinced me this is the way to go though!
Blue 2008 XR 3 dr
45k miles
Blue08XR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
Miracast: This feature lets you screen mirror your phone onto the headunit screen. Keep in mind that you can't control your phone via this screen, as it's just a display, but it's kind of neat if you wanted to show your GPS on the screen. This is the main feature difference between the D5155 and the GM5155. Personally, some people might like this feature, but I could do without it.
Is this the only difference? I'm 100% not interested in this feature, so if the other hardware is the same, I'm thinking of going for the cheaper unit.
I checked their website and could not find any other differences, am I missing anything?
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue08XR3 View Post
Thank you very much for the great review! I've been looking at this for my wife's XR. Just haven't decided if I want to get the silver, or wait and change the interior to black first and get the black model. This has definitely convinced me this is the way to go though!
Black interior definitely makes the interior look a lot better, I changed mine last summer and will never go back to silver
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead is on a distinguished road

I'm going to order one next week. Could you tell me what kind of map software it uses? I can't find it on the Eonon website. Just figuring that out before I order
ProstheticHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

They sell the Kudos maps. I believe Igo Primo will also work with the unit if you want to buy maps elsewhere.

As far as I can tell, the miracast is the only significant difference between the units. The remote control is different too. The nfc is on the remote rather than the radio on the D series.

If there is enough interest in a group buy, I can post an email for someone to contact Eonon about it.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Blue08XR3
Blue08XR3 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
Black interior definitely makes the interior look a lot better, I changed mine last summer and will never go back to silver
Did you use vinyl on your interior, or plasti dip? I've been researching the plasti dip and am thinking of using it. The black with a (sparse) blue metal flake would look sweet! (we have the blue XR)
Blue 2008 XR 3 dr
45k miles
Blue08XR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Is GM5155 or GM5154 the one matching the interior of a 3door XR astra?
09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue08XR3 View Post
Did you use vinyl on your interior, or plasti dip? I've been researching the plasti dip and am thinking of using it. The black with a (sparse) blue metal flake would look sweet! (we have the blue XR)
I bought the center trim in black from vauxhall and painted the rest to match

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193208
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
t2thewhy
t2thewhy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Do you think that it would be better to wait until they have the external microphone that you mentioned available in these units? Or was call quality etc not THAT bad that you could still use it and have a normal conversation with someone?

Thanks for the review! Have been looking into upgrading from the stock unit for a while and was not sure about going this route. Helped a lot.
t2thewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Thank you for the informative post.

A couple of questions:

- Can you use the existing antenna / if not can you show us where you placed the additional one(s)?
- Do they make any units that have XM Radio?
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

The 5155 is the color for the XR version of the Astra. The 5154 is for the XE. The 5156 will match the piano black interior (not offered on the Saturn version).

The phone sounds great on my end, but my wife described me as hard to hear sometimes, unless I talked more loudly. She also said it was picking up more of the background noise. It looks like the external mic is only available on the piano black version right now, but I would expect it would make it's way to the others soon. You could ask the question on their facebook page (Eonon Official).

No, they don't offer any radios with XM radio. There are a ton of inputs that you could use an aftermarket XM unit with though, or you could get the streaming app for your phone instead and use that via bluetooth.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Forgot to answer the antenna question. Yes you use the stock antenna. It comes with the adapter you need to plug it into the radio. The magnetic gps antenna seems to work fine mounted in my dash, so I didn't route that outside the car, but you could if you wanted.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead is on a distinguished road

I couldn't wait and I purchased one last week. It arrived on Monday.

I'm pretty happy with it. I did however end up with a dead touch screen last night. I could press up on the left side of the dvd slot and make the touch screen work again.

I was playing with it when I parked my car for work, and when I came back it was dead. I was able to get it working by playing around with how it sat in the dash, I think I'm going to have to change how the wires are routed to see if I can make it a permanent fix.

I was also able it get the igo Primo gps map software to work if you're looking for an alternative to the Kudos maps.
ProstheticHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I may want more info on the Igo maps. Thanks. I typically use my phone, but I wouldn't mind having the option.

Mine is currently boxed up and will be shipped back tomorrow for service for the touchscreen. I can't wait to get it back. It sounds so much better than the stock radio.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

I got the unit as well. Installation was pretty easy although I did run into a small problem. Screws on the sides of the unit that hold the metal plate with clips that hold it in place in the dash were sticking out and were preventing me from easily sliding the unit into the opening. I removed the screws and it fits but I'm worried it will slide out since there is nothing holding it in place.
09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #20
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

My radio arrived back from Hong Kong today. It is now working properly. They had to replace a ribbon cable to the display. Glad to have it back in and working.