SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Coolant Level Sensor

Has anyone actually repaired this? my warning notification has always been on since 30k miles... Will replacing the sensor fix it finally or is there another way.
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Coolant Level Sensor

I have had the same problem. I found a russian website with a write-up how to replace the coolant tank with one from opel zafira and a new sensor and that should fix the problem. I actually got all the parts but never had the time to do it. I will ask my mechanic to do it for me together with a new belt which will be due for replacement soon.
09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Sounds like a hassle.... Ill just learn to live with it. I just changed my belt myself today (83k miles, aggressive driving style).
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
TheSilverSaturn
TheSilverSaturn has a spectacular aura aboutTheSilverSaturn has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

I just let it be after the shop told me its nothing to worry about. Though it is a pain... If it was an easy fix i'd do it...
TheSilverSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Articwhite2008, the coolant level indicator staying on may be crud preventing proper operation. Have you ever tried flushing the coolant container with HOT soapy water? While not familiar with Astra's coolant level sensors, its presumed to be the type using a magnetic float and sealed reed switch arrangement where the float rises in proximity to the reed switch to signal coolant level. A sticking float from crud will cause incorrect signaling, sometimes corrected by topping off above the fill level - the float is forced to rise higher with higher fluid levels and if it was stuck becomes unstuck.

If you choose to rinse out the coolant container then either remove the container for a proper hot rinse or disconnect and plug hoses to allow the container to drain. Temporarily tape off the container drains and fill with hot soapy (dishwasher detergent) water. If you can stick something into the container to swish this detergent (or shake it vigorously), the soapy solution should loosen any crud. Drain and repeat as necessary then rinse with plain water before reassembling and refilling with coolant. Hopefully, the coolant level light turns off.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Found the website: http://translate.google.com/translat...u/test_bk.html

It's under Electronics->The sensor in the tank antifreeze
09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
Found the website: http://translate.google.com/translat...u/test_bk.html

It's under Electronics->The sensor in the tank antifreeze
I read the site but he really just says that you only need that new tank if yours already does not have this option.
This seems to be a how to add the sensor if your car did not come with the option already, that is why he says you need Tech 2 tool to enable this function in the computer and to drill the tank to add the sensor. I guess our cars already came with this option so we would only need to replace the sensor itself if it bugs you.
Mine just seems to be super sensitive to level, I keep it just a tab above full and it is happy.
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
Mine just seems to be super sensitive to level, I keep it just a tab above full and it is happy.
I'm not sure if the other posters are having a different issue than what I had, but my coolant was very slightly low, and I would park on a slight incline, and it would give me a low coolant warning. It was so minutely low that I figured there must be a problem with the sensor. But I decided to buy some coolant and top it up a few millimetre's and its never bothered me since. That was 2 years ago I think.
2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Mine's been coming on for years. I just acknowledge it and it goes away til the next time. An endearing quirk that I've had to warn people about when they've borrowed my Astra.
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
SPM
SPM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Obviously a sensor problem that should of been recalled but instead we have to live with it.
SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
everyshadeofblu
everyshadeofblu is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just had mine replaced under extended warranty after it was driving me crazy for a few months. They filled up the reservoir as well to the full line. I bet that would have cured it all along... I think it is just sensitive.
Jeff

2008 Astra XR 5-door
Vauxhall conversion
18" 5-star rims from 3-door
everyshadeofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
torqueit
torqueit is on a distinguished road

I did mine today. Seems to be working properly. Ordered only the new level sensor, not the replacement tank.

Getting the overflow tank off required removal of the battery. From there, you remove a black plastic clip that holds the tank in place. I snapped the black clip in half trying to get it off. Not sure how you do it without breaking it.

Removed the tank entirely and flushed it with soapy water like I saw in the online video. Removing the existing sensor was a little tricky. Pull back on the white plastic hooky thing and pull the sensor straight out. It does not twist. Going back in was much easier.

Took a while for the coolant to process through the radiator and get all the air out. Once it did, it seems to work properly. No more error. For now.
torqueit is offline   Reply With Quote