saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Boiling Sound

Have a 2006 2.2l manual with 235,000 miles. I am hearing a boiling noise when I stop after a long enough trip to get things hot. I can drive 200 miles or 5 miles and it never overheats, at least that's what the dummy gauge says. But I hear the boiling over sound when I turn it off, almost always and it has been getting worse over the past few weeks. The temp gauge never goes any higher than normal. Radiator fan never comes on. Coolant level looks good when cold or when hot.

Thinking either thermostat or water pump. Any thoughts? Looking at tackling it this weekend.
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Boiling Sound

C'mon now!!!

I do believe you're on a witch-hunt. Ignore the sound and don't touch thermostat or water pump as long as gauge stays normal and you don't expel coolant from surge tank.

Speaking of surge tank - check it next time you hear boiling action. A stream of bubbles from bottom to top of tank is normal. Engine coolant expands as it heats forcing coolant into the tank.

The tank pressure cap has three functions: (1) it raises the boiling temp of coolant, (2) it vents pressure if coolant begins to boil, and (3) it permits air to flow back into the surge tank as coolant cools.

You can tell if the cap works on cooling cycle by checking radiator hoses. A bad vacuum valve will cause hoses to collapse.
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

No definitely not on a hunt! Just have never heard this noise until this spring and its getting worse. I'm used to ignoring noises on the Vue, just this one is new. I'll ignore it for a while as suggested.

I never sit in traffic so maybe air running through compartment is enough to keep it from overheating. Maybe I'll run it around the block a few times and then let it idle for a while and see if the gauge moves up or see if I can narrow down where the bubbling noise is coming from.

Going on a trip in next few weeks and expect to sit in shore traffic. Last thing I want is my wife ripping me a new one because I didn't take care of this...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Perhaps the noise is caused by AC system ... try turning AC off for a minute or so before turning engine off.

Many complain of hiss noise rather than boiling sound - problem is typically caused by failure of cooling fan to run at low speed when AC compressor is on.

See service bulletin attached to post # 5 of this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148371
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
Have a 2006 2.2l manual with 235,000 miles. I am hearing a boiling noise when I stop after a long enough trip to get things hot. I can drive 200 miles or 5 miles and it never overheats, at least that's what the dummy gauge says. But I hear the boiling over sound when I turn it off, almost always and it has been getting worse over the past few weeks. The temp gauge never goes any higher than normal. Radiator fan never comes on. Coolant level looks good when cold or when hot.

Thinking either thermostat or water pump. Any thoughts? Looking at tackling it this weekend.
One suggestion: Check your coolant level (not just the level in the overflow jug). If you are low on coolant (small leak) you may have air in your system, which is causing the "boiling" sound.

Remove the radiator cap when the system is cool and check the coolant level. Once air pockets are trapped inside the system, it may not draw coolant from the overflow jug as the system cools.

Good luck - let us know what you determine.
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No definitely not on a hunt! Just have never heard this noise until this spring and its getting worse. I'm used to ignoring noises on the Vue, just this one is new. I'll ignore it for a while as suggested.

I never sit in traffic so maybe air running through compartment is enough to keep it from overheating. Maybe I'll run it around the block a few times and then let it idle for a while and see if the gauge moves up or see if I can narrow down where the bubbling noise is coming from.

Going on a trip in next few weeks and expect to sit in shore traffic. Last thing I want is my wife ripping me a new one because I didn't take care of this...

What did you determine?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
fgr33n
fgr33n is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue on a different vehicle (Dodge Caravan). It never seemed to be overheating enough to dramatically boil over or cause a "too hot" reading on the temp gauge. However after turning off the engine the overflow res was bubbling. As Far2grumpy mentioned in his post above, the fan should always run when the AC is on, but on the van it wasn't and the bad fan (frozen actually) was causing the overheating. After installing a new fan the problem went away.

The fact that your fan never comes on makes me wonder if there is a problem with the fan or fan relay? Seem like it should come on at least occasionally-- except maybe in the winter.
fgr33n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Its been a while, but I am still having a boiling sound... Made it through the trip and in stop and go beach traffic in middle of summer. But, it still is boiling/gurgling etc when I shut it off. I'm thinking that maybe it is air in the system. What is the proper way to rid the system of air?

I changed the radiator fluid years ago, and was never really sure I completely filled it, but never really payed any attention because it never showed any issues until now.

Would just hate for this to be the demise of an otherwise ultra-reliable beast...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Ever flushed brake fluid?

Lots of people boil their brake fluid in autocross. It's possible stop and go traffic on 240k mile brake fluid could be enough to cause it to boil it...
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Its been a while, but I am still having a boiling sound... Made it through the trip and in stop and go beach traffic in middle of summer. But, it still is boiling/gurgling etc when I shut it off. I'm thinking that maybe it is air in the system. What is the proper way to rid the system of air?

I changed the radiator fluid years ago, and was never really sure I completely filled it, but never really payed any attention because it never showed any issues until now.

Would just hate for this to be the demise of an otherwise ultra-reliable beast...
Did you ever try turning AC off for a minute or so before killing the engine?

There's a SB for newer Vue's for whoosh and gurgle - AC related but happens primarily when compressor is engaged (fix is to add refrigerant).

I'll also attach extract from coolant drain and fill procedures - with steps to purge air from system.

Its also a fact the thermostat should have a small hole (with possible flapper valve) to vent entrapped air from engine into expansion tank after engine shut down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC Noise.jpg (152.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 06 Vue - Coolant Drain-Fill.jpg (145.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
99WhiteC5Coupe

Quote:

Did you follow the advice in post number five above?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WhiteC5Coupe View Post
Did you follow the advice in post number five above?
Post # 5 advice is generally excellent for older conventional cooling systems but not for a Vue.

There's neither a cap on radiator or an overflow jug.

The coolant system is pressurized with cap on expansion tank.

A few expansion tank facts:

A stream of bubbles from bottom to top of tank is normal. Engine coolant expands as it heats forcing coolant into the tank.

Expansion tank pressure cap has three functions: (1) it raises boiling temp of coolant, (2) it vents pressure if coolant begins to boil, and (3) it permits air to flow back into the surge tank as coolant cools.

You can tell if the cap works on cooling cycle by checking radiator hoses. A bad (stuck) vacuum valve will collapse the larger radiator hoses.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

I have removed the expansion tank cap when the engine is cool to see if some coolant would drain into the block but never does. I have been running without A/C on for a long time and still notice the sound when its shut off. I can run the car for ten minutes until its hot without A/C ever being on and it still "boils."

I will give the drain/fill procedures a shot. I'm thinking I never really filled it properly to begin with and possibly a small leak somewhere...

I know from experience after filling my Cadillac CTS after a radiator replacement that getting enough coolant into the block is a little tricky. Thanks Grumpy for posting the fill procedure.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Ever flushed brake fluid?

Lots of people boil their brake fluid in autocross. It's possible stop and go traffic on 240k mile brake fluid could be enough to cause it to boil it...
XRL,
I have never changed the brake fluid... I guess its about time. I'll give Grumpy's fill procedure a shot and see what that does then move on to brake fluid. Thanks for your post; this never even crossed my mind as a possibility.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Just for the record, this turned out to be brake fluid. I can shut the car off and let my foot off the brake and it starts boiling. If I put my foot back on the brakes, it stops boiling.

Never knew brake fluid would boil after age... I'm not looking forward to draining and filling it. Any comments on how to drain completely and fill with clean fluid? I've bled brakes before, just never drained and refilled. If its the same let me know.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #16
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Here is a good video.
But my $0.02, check if local garage would do it for you. If you can get is done for $50-$75 go for it. The mess this creates and possibility of getting air into ABS systems are high.
If you get air into ABS, it is dealer only service as it requires a GM computer to open and close valves inside ABS module while bleeding. I had a bad experience with this once
Most shops use power bleeders rather then manual method, so it is way faster.
But I've done manual way and it worked out ok. Get a 1 litter jug of fluid if you are doing it yourself.
BTW, brake fluid needs to be replaced every 2-3 years.
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Just for the record, this turned out to be brake fluid. I can shut the car off and let my foot off the brake and it starts boiling. If I put my foot back on the brakes, it stops boiling.

Never knew brake fluid would boil after age... I'm not looking forward to draining and filling it. Any comments on how to drain completely and fill with clean fluid? I've bled brakes before, just never drained and refilled. If its the same let me know.
What we did on my Vue was use a little air powered vacuum for it. Basically, we sucked all the bad fluids out, and refilled the reservoir with new fluids. After we had sucked all the old stuff out, all that was left was the new fluids we had been adding in.

I suppose in theory you could do it just like you were bleeding the brakes, but the air powered vacuum made it a lot faster.

One of the vendors on the Corvette Forum was kind enough to include a chart showing the effects of age on brake fluid's boiling point, and thus why we all needed to buy their super awesome new fluid. It's pretty significant though, even just within a year of age. The fluid picks up water (when we flushed mine it had HUGE amounts of water in it), which significantly lowers its boiling point.

Glad you figured out what it was.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for the comments and helpful info. If its under $100, its better than me freezing my ***** off and worrying about air in the lines afterward. And if there's a chance for a mess, you can guarantee mine will be messy, lots of cursing and cleanup... not worth the hassle to save a few bucks this time. I'll take it somewhere.