SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Default How long has your fuel pump lasted

Wondering how long the fuel pump will last on the Vue. Mine has 110,000 miles on orginal pump and filter. Should it be changed before its goes? To get at the filter you have to remove the pump I am told so it would be foolish to not do both.I also believe you must drop the fuel tank so this wont be cheap.
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
Default Re: How long has your fuel pump lasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Wondering how long the fuel pump will last on the Vue. Mine has 110,000 miles on orginal pump and filter. Should it be changed before its goes? To get at the filter you have to remove the pump I am told so it would be foolish to not do both.I also believe you must drop the fuel tank so this wont be cheap.
It should last life time of the vehicle. Unless you have issues I'd leave it alone.
I just did a car where it failed with about same miles as yours, filter was just fine, but that model of car had a known fuel pump defect.
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
roberto1
roberto1 is on a distinguished road

WALT, You must have a lot of time on your hands. LOL. If there are no problems do not create any.
roberto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto1 View Post
WALT, You must have a lot of time on your hands. LOL. If there are no problems do not create any.
Time has nothing to do with it. Most vehicles fuel filters have to be changed at or well before 100,000 miles. My brothers Thunderbird has 100,000 miles and is on its second fuel pump. I assume you have no answer and must be driving a low milage truck.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I am going on 164000 miles on the original. I doubt it was ever changed, as everything else seemed to be neglected all to he on my '05 that I picked up@ 137000 miles last July.

My "armchair" Fuel System Crystal Ball Guess:
HOw long it lasts will vary. Shorter MTBF on pumps/filters on those SAturn's parked for long periods- which can lead to fuel tank ddeposits( water condensation/fuel rot/corrosion etc...) loading up the capacity of the filter, increasing load on the pump - cutting flow eventually.

I have also heard that fuel pumps don't like to be run dry, so if a driver repeatedly runs out of gas and attempts to keep starting it, when it's just futile to continue, the fuel pump will be at risk of overheating/ excessive wear and die a horrible death by dehydration.

THose that are driven on a continuing basis will last the longest, by comparison, as fuel system deposits wont build as fuel will always be fresh and wont have a chance to degrade.

WAlt, are you able todrive your ??what year/engine VUe?? Or do you have issues currently?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Last edited by billysvue; 10-19-2013 at 06:37 PM.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
I am going on 164000 miles on the original. I doubt it was ever changed, as everything else seemed to be neglected all to he on my '05 that I picked up@ 137000 miles last July.

My "armchair" Fuel System Crystal Ball Guess:
HOw long it lasts will vary. Shorter MTBF on pumps/filters on those SAturn's parked for long periods- which can lead to fuel tank ddeposits( water condensation/fuel rot/corrosion etc...) loading up the capacity of the filter, increasing load on the pump - cutting flow eventually.

I have also heard that fuel pumps don't like to be run dry, so if a driver repeatedly runs out of gas and attempts to keep starting it, when it's just futile to continue, the fuel pump will be at risk of overheating/ excessive wear and die a horrible death by dehydration.

THose that are driven on a continuing basis will last the longest, by comparison, as fuel system deposits wont build as fuel will always be fresh and wont have a chance to degrade.

WAlt, are you able todrive your ??what year/engine VUe?? Or do you have issues currently?
Its and 06 with 110,000 miles 4 cylinder. My wife drives out of state sometime alone at night. I have changed all the hoses and belts and always serviced this car.I am thinking of buying a new Malibu to use just for her trips. The car looks like it has 10,000 miles on it and I really cant afford another car payment so I am trying to get the general feel of the weak points of the Vue. The car has been trouble free since new. I am just wondering am I pushing it with that kind of milage? I have done the 100K service except for the transmission. That is the only thing I did not do because my mechanic was not sure how to service it. Since Saturn is gone he said a regular GM dealer would probably wipe off the oil pan and say he serviced the transmission.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Its and 06 with 110,000 miles 4 cylinder.I have done the 100K service except for the transmission. That is the only thing I did not do because my mechanic was not sure how to service it..
Not rocket science- drain and fill it if it's a manual and same for auto- but know that only 1/2 the fluid in an auto will drain.

Flog it, it's a keeper
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
gaurdien
gaurdien will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I have a 2002 vue with over 216,000 miles on it and the fuel pump and screen are original.
Good things are happening..........., somewhere.
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Mine is a 2006 2.2l manual with 244,000 miles, mostly highway. I've never touched the fuel system; if you don't count the O2 sensor... I'd leave well enough alone if its running fine.

The manual transmission requires zero maintenance if that's what you drive. I drained and replaced the trans fluid once just for kicks to see if it would shift a little better but am thinking it made no difference. Probably wasted my money...

And since someone mentioned flogging it; I was just driving my wife in the Vue today to pick up some tile, and really let the Vue have it just for kicks (she's not been in it for a while, 6000 RPM shifts, clutch let hard, its still original and I'm trying to get it to go.) She kept saying you better take it easy on the old beast, and I kept saying I can't believe this thing takes this kind of abuse and worse when you aren't in it! She just shook her head and buckled up...
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote