SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: replace the liftgate gas springs

Ordered from Rockauto Monday got this AM. I used the ladder with a towel on top to support the hatch. The top of the first one was a little difficult to get off. I just gave a good tap with my palm and it came off. At the other 3 points they came off easily. The new ones snap easily on (The clips are already attached) . You just have to push the hatch all the way up to attach the lower ones properly. Man does that hatch go up fast with the new ones so be careful .. You don't realize how weak the old ones are compared to new ones. 5 - 10 minute job
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
BuckeyeBud
BuckeyeBud is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the "Ideal Gas Law" (PV=nRT). Pressure will diminish when temperature goes down. It is not always that the strut is going "bad".
BuckeyeBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
ricksLS1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBud View Post
Don't forget the "Ideal Gas Law" (PV=nRT). Pressure will diminish when temperature goes down. It is not always that the strut is going "bad".
True ... My hatch wouldn't go all the way up and was slow going up. Now with the fresh stuts in the same lower temp the hatch goes up all the way (I don't hit my head) and is a lot faster. Only drawback is that it is harder to close.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
xylene
xylene is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: replace the liftgate gas springs

I just installed a set of the Tuff brand gas springs from Rock auto yesterday. I am very happy with them... This past summer I put a double layer of dynamat extreme on the lift-gate and thought that this was causing the poor spring performance. It just showed me that they were already on the way out. On the really cold days, (yes... gases do occupy less volume with decreased temperature, which decreases the pressure), the springs wouldn’t even hold the lift-gate up.

With the new set we have to be careful and found it better to just let the lift-gate go without a guided hand. This way the gas springs suppress the fast snap up.
xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...63&a=FR10-4363

$12.19 each from rockauto...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #26
ricksLS1
Master Member

On the struts it says do not use any grease or lubricants on them.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuy View Post
having done the reflectix on my VUE, I've noticed this as a natural result of the added weight. I've also got an '05 so it might be due it anyway.
I also added sound deadening to the hatch (about 5 sq ft of fiberglass mat), and it weighs a bit more now. My new hatch liftgate shocks work fine (ordered OEM replacements from SaturnParts.net), but don't seem to lift quite as high as the old ones. It's not because they don't have the power, it's because the shocks themselves seem to have a shorter range internally. They don't look exactly the same as the original shocks. But, the gate opens completely by itself again, even in cold weather, and won't sag or fall at all. After adding the sound deadener mat to the inside of the outer door skin (the metal inside the door) and to the inside of the inner door frame, covering up those big holes, the hatch shuts with a MUCH more satisfying, solid thud. I also covered the back of my license plate and tightened it down and it doesn't rattle anymore either. w00t!

Total time to change shocks was about 10 minutes, and that included figuring out the clip arrangement. Now that I know how, 5 mins max. A ladder with a pad or towel on top is required unless you have someone else willing to stand there and hold it and watch you work.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
PerfectReign
PerfectReign is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I just wanted to thank y'all. The struts on my wife's '05 Vue started failing recently. I searched this thread and figured it would be easy.

I made a quick trip to Amazon and I received a shiny new box containing replacement struts.

Installation was super simple. I put a ladder down under the tailgate and made a note where my struts were positioned.

I then got a smallish flathead and pried off the clips holding the struts. They came off very easy. Thanks for the tip of using a ladder. I simply put the lift on top of a ladder using a tent to cushion it. (I happened to have a tent I hadn't put away yet from a recent camping trip.)

Putting the new struts in was simple, just keep in mind, the new ones weren't in the exact same position as the old ones, so I had to slowly twist the ends to match the ball connector. I then used the flathead screwdriver to losen the clip enough to allow me to put the strut in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2011.39.46.jpg

Done!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2011.43.02.jpg

kai - remember - a turn signal is a statement, not a request
2005 Vue V6 FWD || 2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH Charcoal
PerfectReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

did this not so long ago as they were struggling in the cold weather. My wife complained for a little while that they were "too stiff" and it was hard to get it closed

They are not as stiff as they were initially but are still pretty tight and will really whip that thing up and you have to use some force to pull it down. Just as it SHOULD BE!!!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Just replaced mine with Rock Auto's along with a another set of trunk lids for my CTS. Both sets were in in less than 30 mins total.
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Hardware is all rusty. Sure this will be a job if I need to do this.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #32
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Hardware is all rusty. Sure this will be a job if I need to do this.
Nah, mine were rusty looking too but the picture below shows some indents that you can use to pry the spring clips off. Mine came right off. It took longer to figure out what screw driver to use to do the prying...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
Nah, mine were rusty looking too but the picture below shows some indents that you can use to pry the spring clips off. Mine came right off. It took longer to figure out what screw driver to use to do the prying...
I was speaking of the bolts/washers on the liftgate, you mean those don't have to be removed? I shoot mine on occasion with Liquid wrench just in case... they looked bad @ 3 years & got even worse every winter.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

I hope we are talking about the same thing... I was speaking of replacing the lift gate "shocks." They come off very easily by pulling the spring clip away from the body of the shock. Once the clips are away, the shocks just pull off the "pins" that hold them, in place. Replacement is just the reverse. There were no bolts, nuts or washers to fool with.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I hope we are talking about the same thing... I was speaking of replacing the lift gate "shocks." They come off very easily by pulling the spring clip away from the body of the shock. Once the clips are away, the shocks just pull off the "pins" that hold them, in place. Replacement is just the reverse. There were no bolts, nuts or washers to fool with.
The perfectly shiny, clean & bright washer/bolt on the liftgate on the L.A. California example, mine are all rusting, I thought these had to be removed I really would not want to touch these as that would be opening a can of worms.

Then again, us people in the northeast don't know how to take care care of a vehicle anyway.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #36
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
The perfectly shiny, clean & bright washer/bolt on the liftgate on the L.A. California example, mine are all rusting, I thought these had to be removed I really would not want to touch these as that would be opening a can of worms.

Then again, us people in the northeast don't know how to take care care of a vehicle anyway.
I used a small thin screw driver to pull my rusty, Northeast beaten down, salted, rusted, unmaintained, liftgate spring clips from the liftgate "shock."

Look at the top part of the liftgate "shock" in the pictures; the portion that is black. There are two indents near the top; one on each side of a metal band going around the shock. That is a spring clip(mine was rusted) that can be pryed away from the shock with a small screw driver. Once it is removed, the shock just pulls away from a ball joint that holds the shock to the liftgate. I think the bolt you are referring to is the ball joint that attaches to the liftgate and does not need to be removed.

This is a very easy job. Go out with a small screw driver as a tool... nothing else is required.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I used a small thin screw driver to pull my rusty, Northeast beaten down, salted, rusted, unmaintained, liftgate spring clips from the liftgate "shock."
TY & you wouldn't worry about them snapping from the rust?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
pdough
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
TY & you wouldn't worry about them snapping from the rust?
If the bands snap when pulling them away from the body of the "shock", then its easier... they no longer are clinging to the ball joint at that point and should allow you to pull the liftgate "shock" away from the ball joint.