SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Does this oil filter look normal?

then spring hills and dealerships have been doing it wrong for years. why did you ha ve the spiffy gloves on for the clean part of the job? idiot, they're to keep your hands clean, or warm if you're up here.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
then spring hills and dealerships have been doing it wrong for years. why did you ha ve the spiffy gloves on for the clean part of the job? idiot, they're to keep your hands clean, or warm if you're up here.
I see your back to talking to me after I have asked you to never speak to me. Why because when ever you are wrong you can not admit it, nor can you refrain from calling people names because your at a loss for words when you are wrong.
It's funny that I show you and others that your wrong and the only thing you can come up with is to call me an idiot because I had gloves on. Your correct I'm an idiot for having gloves on what a foolish thing to do.
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, I'm saying you were an idiot for taking them off. reading>you. also, you started to respond to my posts a while back, so now I do the same. I'm saying a lot of people (tens or hundreds of thousands of people potentially) are wrong, or maybe there are other reasons for some cars to be different beyond error on the people changing the oil's part. I'm thinking the latter is the case. we'll see as soon as I can pull my filter out that got put in by a dealership (right now there's too much snow flying).
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Ok because I have never seen this crushed filter syndrome on any of the ION's from around here to include 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4L I thought I'd wait till I had a chance to do an oil change.

This video is of my neighbors 2007 2.4L ION sedan. I changed the oil for him the last time. Now that he was ready for another I thought I'd get my camera out and give you believers of crushed oil filter is normal something to think about.

Only two reasons for that filter to be crushed, and it does not matter who does it if the two reason are not known can you guess what they are?
If not, thats why you think it's normal.

One of the links are sure to work for you, but you have to click on it.

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/a...terRemoval.flv

Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
Ok because I have never seen this crushed filter syndrome on any of the ION's from around here to include 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4L I thought I'd wait till I had a chance to do an oil change.
That's not a PF456G or PF457G AC/Delco filter. That's why it's not crushed.
Neighbour is using some other brand of filter. I can only speak for AC/Delco, which is all I use. You can't overtighten the filter to squeeze it. The threads of the filter cap bottom out. Pleat folding is totally normal. I'm beginning to think that you're not. Nice gloves
Where's the neoprene gloves to keep carcinogenic used motor oil off your skin?
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
That's not a PF456G or PF457G AC/Delco filter. That's why it's not crushed.
Neighbour is using some other brand of filter. I can only speak for AC/Delco, which is all I use. You can't overtighten the filter to squeeze it. The threads of the filter cap bottom out. Pleat folding is totally normal. I'm beginning to think that you're not. Nice gloves
Where's the neoprene gloves to keep carcinogenic used motor oil off your skin?
I was just waiting for that bs, but your not using the DELCO filter that can be bought at a Saturn Retailer. Shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone bigbird I took a picture, and it looks like it's just for you. I swear you guys can use every excuse in the book. He got the filter from me, this time and every time., and I get them from work all of the time.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/a...FilterUsed.jpg
Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #27
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

bigbird, just remember, no matter how many of us say all of our ion filters have done this, we are ALL wrong, because we are not the almighty roadion, saturn techs, enthusiasts, lifetime mechanics, whatever, only roadion holds the secret scrolls telling him (and apparently only him, because he won't share) how to install an oil filter.

if you're so psychic, roadion, why didn't you preempt bigbird with the picture?
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I did share the two reasons the filter would be crushed....but you fail to see it. Nothing almighty about it just the correct parts installed the correct way, and you'll never see a crushed ecotec filter again.

Why no picture first, because I love giving people enough rope to hang themselves.

psychic: he said psychic

Is the gallery working yet ............?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #29
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

just for you, roadion, I went out in the 30MPH wind, snow, and freezing rain and took a picture. notice this dealership installed AC Delco filter, not over torqued. is it...... TWISTED!!!!!! there's a shock, it was inserted into the cap correctly, too, go figure.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #30
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

as stated above.

Only two reasons for that filter to be crushed, and it does not matter who does it if the two reason are not known can you guess what they are?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

The better quality PF457G filter in the ACDelco box, like RoadIon has, are the more expensive, better quality filters. They don't seem to distort much. The cheaper Delco filters (made by whom, I don't know), and the off-brands usually do. At least, that's been my experience over the last decade of working on Ecotecs. Maybe I'm nuts, who knows?
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I got the $55 mobil 1 oil change fwiw. not sure which filter they put in.

Quote:
if you snap the oil filter into the cap and install the filter and cap as one piece I think you'll find that will not happen again.
that's the only way I install them. as a matter of fact, I thought it was the only way to install them (in the 4.5 years I've owned a 2.2 ecotec).

and I don't over tighten them, either. so what other two reasons are there again? please, enlighten us, I would really like to know what EVERYONE is doing wrong besides you.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Last edited by 2006 ion2; 02-15-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #33
bigbird

Quote:
I was just waiting for that bs, but your not using the DELCO filter that can be bought at a Saturn Retailer. Shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone bigbird I took a picture, and it looks like it's just for you. I swear you guys can use every excuse in the book. He got the filter from me, this time and every time., and I get them from work all of the time.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/a...FilterUsed.jpg
That's the box from the new filter you just installed, not from the off brand filter you just removed. You can try to pull the wool over our experienced eyes, but we don't fall for your slight of hand tricks.
Did I already mention.... nice gloves?
Where's the neoprene, you rookie?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #34
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Ok, we're not helping the OP by arguing...
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
Ok, we're not helping the OP by arguing...
Not arguing, just having some fun with each other. Remember, this is the Internet. Take NOTHING seriously.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #36
bigbird

There is only one way to install the filter correctly. That involves snapping the tabbed end of the filter into the cap until it clicks in, then lubing the o-ring on the on the bottom of the filter, then screwing the cap, with attched filter, into the filter housing. If you were to lower the filter into the housing, then screw down the cap over the filter, you may not compress the filter. But that would be doing it WRONG.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #37
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Dare I say that all the oil filters that came out of the '06 ION we owned looked crushed / twisted also? The brand didn't matter. AC Delco / Wix NAPA Gold.
I thought it odd at first too, but figured it must be normal for that style of filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
There is only one way to install the filter correctly. That involves snapping the tabbed end of the filter into the cap until it clicks in, then lubing the o-ring on the on the bottom of the filter, then screwing the cap, with attched filter, into the filter housing. If you were to lower the filter into the housing, then screw down the cap over the filter, you may not compress the filter. But that would be doing it WRONG.

Exactly!
Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #38
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
No it's not normal, and if you snap the oil filter into the cap and install the filter and cap as one piece I think you'll find that will not happen again.
I have changed my oil numerous times and every filter looks like this after I take it out. I oil the top and bottom so it will slip if needs be and I torque the lid to factory. Always looks like this. And I use the better Fram filter as well. So this is normal.
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #39
Ion Greatest
Ion Greatest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
This is out of a 2005 Ecotech and a Purolator brand filter. I do not remember it being distorted like this last time so I'm wondering if it is something to be concerned about.
normal. Mine usually look a little distorted like that. If I remember to I'll take pictures of mine when I change it out in the next week or two.
Ion Greatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #40
SBXLI93
SBXLI93 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:

This video is of my neighbors 2007 2.4L ION sedan. I changed the oil for him the last time. Now that he was ready for another I thought I'd get my camera out and give you believers of crushed oil filter is normal something to think about.

Only two reasons for that filter to be crushed, can you guess what they are?

One of the links are sure to work for you, but you have to click on it.

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/RoadIon/?action=view&current=24OilFilterRemoval.flv
could one of the reasons be that the filters are too short ? I changed my girlfriends and there was a filter in hers that came from korea, placed it side by side with a NAPA Gold filter.....quite a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil filter ION.jpg (51.0 KB, 33 views)
1999 SL2 748k miles
engine and tranny rebuilt
36.5 mpg
Now I am ready to go for another 500,000!
SBXLI93 is offline   Reply With Quote