SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Jays3.5
Jays3.5 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Break Failure?

Hello everyone. I have an 08 Aura and just hit 31K miles. since around 24k I started noticing that the brakes act a bit strange at 70 mph. Ive had MANY vehicles, but have never had the breaks act like this. Its almost like they are overheating when I break at 70. They car moans a bit and the peddle gets sluggish. Any ideas or if you think the dealership would cover this? The pads themselves seem fine.
Jays3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Break Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays3.5 View Post
Hello everyone. I have an 08 Aura and just hit 31K miles. since around 24k I started noticing that the brakes act a bit strange at 70 mph. Ive had MANY vehicles, but have never had the breaks act like this. Its almost like they are overheating when I break at 70. They car moans a bit and the peddle gets sluggish. Any ideas or if you think the dealership would cover this? The pads themselves seem fine.
Typical GM brake fade. I'd go with aftermarket pads and rotors and dump the mediocre GM ones. Brembo blanks and EBC pads are probably your best option.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
strat81
strat81 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

My Aura regularly saw speeds over 70mph (speed limits are 75mph around here). Never had a problem with the brakes.
Aura OEM rubber floor mats for sale:
http://www.saturnfans.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/3398/cat/35
strat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Break Failure
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

"Braken the Law,Braken the Law"...
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

from Port Forth Mexas
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Definitely have the dealer look at it. That's not normal and is a safety issue. They should replace it under warranty but they may try to call it simple wear and tear. If they refuse to replace it under warranty and want you to pay for new OEM brakes, then I agree that you should go aftermarket. I haven't done much research on this but it sounds like golftango has.
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
If they refuse to replace it under warranty and want you to pay for new OEM brakes, then I agree that you should go aftermarket. I haven't done much research on this but it sounds like golftango has.
I am basing my suggestion on previous experience. It is no secret that GM brakes suck. And the problem is always subpar rotors. FWIW, I am not hard on my brakes and I drive fairly conservatively.

I had an Ion that went through two sets of rotors in 36K miles. Once I swapped them out with cheapo Advance Auto brand rotors, problem solved. At the first hint of fade and warping with my VUE, I again went with Advance Auto rotors and never experienced warping issues in 30K miles. Can't go wrong for $20/30 an axle.

With less than 1K miles on my Aura, the dealer replaced the rotors and pads because after sitting on the lot for a year, they rusted away and constantly made grinding noises. After three visits to my local Chevy dealer, the Service Manager indicated they went with a higher quality pad because the OEM sucks. At the first hint of fade/warping, I will be going to Brembo blanks and decent pads. Brakes should last 100k miles easily, not 20/30k.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
BadAura
BadAura is on a distinguished road

Hey golftango were you a member on 7gen accord forum? I had an 03 Accord coupe back in 07-08 and I was on that forum a lot. I remember your avatar. haha
BadAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAura View Post
Hey golftango were you a member on 7gen accord forum? I had an 03 Accord coupe back in 07-08 and I was on that forum a lot. I remember your avatar. haha

Yes! My other vehicle is a 04 Accord. Don't frequent that forum much as my Accord is pretty much trouble free.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Yes! My other vehicle is a 04 Accord. Don't frequent that forum much as my Accord is pretty much trouble free.

I would really like to hear you compare and contrast your Accord and Aura... I figure you're about as unbiased of a person as can be if you own both.

My friend bought an 03 when that gen first came out... it was a DX 5-speed manual sedan. I remember really liking the car and thinking it was very impressive for the money. He doesn't own it anymore so it's really hard for me to compare it directly to my Aura.

From what I do remember my Aura is quieter and a bit smoother riding but the Accord also felt tighter, handled a bit better, and felt more solid or composed over bumps (even if it was a bit stiffer). What sort of MPG do you get with your Accord and what powertrain do you have? I know you get amazingly bad MPG in your Aura (by far the worst I've heard of with the 4cyl/6AT).
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
I would really like to hear you compare and contrast your Accord and Aura... I figure you're about as unbiased of a person as can be if you own both.)
I have the 2.4L powered LX, auto trans. Has about 65K miles.

The Aura feels heavier, is more solid and rides more quietly. It also has more safety features than my Accord, no side airbags or traction control. But the Aura is begging for more hp from a 4cyl. The Aura seems to lose "umph" when you reach an incline and you're in 6th gear.

The Accord is peppier although has a little less hp. The Accord's 5 speed auto definitely shifts better that the Aura. It also handles better and you feel more connected to the road. Ride is more firm in the Accord and "feels" tighter. Brakes grab a bit more in the Accord too.

I do like to drive the Accord more than the Aura, however, the features and quietness in the Aura makes it a winner. Therefore my wife and I spend more time in the Aura and the Accord sits in the garage.

As far a MPGs go, I average 24mpg in the Accord which is about what I am seeing in the Aura now. So they are comparable. The Accord has been pretty much trouble free, just a bad battery and O2 sensor in the last 25K miles or so. The Honda dealer is top notch too, but on the same token my local Chevy dealer had been great as well.

A few buzzes and rattles have sprung up in the Aura while the Accord is drum tight. I do get some plastic popping in the Accord when it is cold, but the top half of the dash is hard plastic and goes away when it warms up. The other issue I had with the Accord was the doors were popping and creaking when driving. A little silicone grease sourced by Honda fixed that.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
BadAura
BadAura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have the 2.4L powered LX, auto trans. Has about 65K miles.

The Aura feels heavier, is more solid and rides more quietly. It also has more safety features than my Accord, no side airbags or traction control. But the Aura is begging for more hp from a 4cyl. The Aura seems to lose "umph" when you reach an incline and you're in 6th gear.

The Accord is peppier although has a little less hp. The Accord's 5 speed auto definitely shifts better that the Aura. It also handles better and you feel more connected to the road. Ride is more firm in the Accord and "feels" tighter. Brakes grab a bit more in the Accord too.

I do like to drive the Accord more than the Aura, however, the features and quietness in the Aura makes it a winner. Therefore my wife and I spend more time in the Aura and the Accord sits in the garage.

As far a MPGs go, I average 24mpg in the Accord which is about what I am seeing in the Aura now. So they are comparable. The Accord has been pretty much trouble free, just a bad battery and O2 sensor in the last 25K miles or so. The Honda dealer is top notch too, but on the same token my local Chevy dealer had been great as well.

A few buzzes and rattles have sprung up in the Aura while the Accord is drum tight. I do get some plastic popping in the Accord when it is cold, but the top half of the dash is hard plastic and goes away when it warms up. The other issue I had with the Accord was the doors were popping and creaking when driving. A little silicone grease sourced by Honda fixed that.
You didn't ask but I'm feeling nostalgic so here goes. I agree with gt, for the most part. It has been since mid 08 since I've owned that car and I've owned 4 (yes that's true) cars since then so my memory is a little distorted. I had an 03 EX coupe. 2.4/5AT. First, off I love Hondas. I've owned 4 (if you count Acura ) and my sis has owned 1 so I'm biased.

That car was really, really solid. I bought it with 103K and it looked/felt like a new car. Seriously. It was slow though but peppy off the line. The 5AT would shift to the highest gear (for fuel economy) any chance it got. I remember mid-corner on hairpins it would upshift sometimes and I was like no..........DOWNSHIFT STUPID. Cornering was tighter than the Aura but you really didn't have any power to use so it kinda didn't matter.

Those cars have NO cargo carrying capacity IMO. I've owned two hatchbacks in my life and its pathetic how much more those could hold. The trunk opening just wasn't big enough to put anything that was too big even though the trunk itself was decent size. I remember I had to carry a 27" CRT TV once and i had to finally strap it in the front seat with the seat belt like a passenger. It barely fit that way and wouldn't go any other way in the car.

I had 0 problems with that car in the one year I owned it. I think that body style was gorgeous but it started to look dated the past couple of years. I was in grad school with that car in my mid 20s and it was sporty enough that you blended right in. Girls liked it....they told me. College girls love Hondas, if you didn't know. You had the "practical but I'm sporty vibe". I miss that car a lot sometimes.

The Aura is quieter, smoother. Right now if I could literally switch that car and the Aura I'm not sure which one I would pick.

Here are some pics:

I also owned an 08 Accord coupe for 4 months; pics:

BadAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Jays3.5

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
"Braken the Law,Braken the Law"...
Yeah...it's pretty bad when I misspell it and correctly spell it in the same post...BUSTED..
Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Jays3.5

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Typical GM brake fade. I'd go with aftermarket pads and rotors and dump the mediocre GM ones. Brembo blanks and EBC pads are probably your best option.
Yes, the rotors are crap...that is what the issue is. I think I will take your advice on this one and just go aftermarket. Now if I can just get past all of the electrical issues this car has had..