SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
KapsAstra
KapsAstra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default First Oil Change and Curious Saturn Workers

Only complaints about oil change is that it took an hour and they got some oil on the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

I was however amazed at how many people from Saturn were checking out my car. It is like they have never seen an Astra before. I guess the badges really baffled them. I did hear one person say "there isn't a single Saturn emblem on it." He sounded kind of insulted about it.

Others were trying to figure out what the emblems were and a couple said Opel. I told the guy helping me that they are Vauxhall. He said "same thing." Not sure if he meant the cars or the badges. I told him that Opel has a lightning bolt type of logo. (What exactly is the Opel logo supposed to be anyway?) Then he asked if mine was a lion. I didn't bother telling him that was Holden's logo. I just said it is a griffin and he looked even more confused.

I also had someone at the carwash this morning ask me if this was a new brand of car. Apparently he thought "Astra" was the manufacturer.
KapsAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

Default Re: First Oil Change and Curious Saturn Workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapsAstra View Post
Only complaints about oil change is that it took an hour and they got some oil on the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

I was however amazed at how many people from Saturn were checking out my car. It is like they have never seen an Astra before. I guess the badges really baffled them. I did hear one person say "there isn't a single Saturn emblem on it." He sounded kind of insulted about it.

Others were trying to figure out what the emblems were and a couple said Opel. I told the guy helping me that they are Vauxhall. He said "same thing." Not sure if he meant the cars or the badges. I told him that Opel has a lightning bolt type of logo. (What exactly is the Opel logo supposed to be anyway?) Then he asked if mine was a lion. I didn't bother telling him that was Holden's logo. I just said it is a griffin and he looked even more confused.

I also had someone at the carwash this morning ask me if this was a new brand of car. Apparently he thought "Astra" was the manufacturer.
Before Adam Opel built cars, he made bicycles. One of them was named after the Goddess of victoy "Victoria Blitz" (Victory Bold).

Later Opel used a Zeppelin in the logo.

Over the years the Zeppelin morphed into a bold.

And this is the newest logo, first seen on the Insignia Concept car.

Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

this happens with mine every time it goes in, because every time it goes in I have something different done to it. They did it with the radio after telling me it couldnt be done, did it with the painted vauxhall grill, the Factory spoiler, etc. I swear they are more careful with it now than they were before haha. Its hilarious to watch.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I'd like to see all of this fuss on candid camera ....
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

How many miles did you accrue before the 1st change?
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
KapsAstra
KapsAstra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi junkie View Post
how many miles did you accrue before the 1st change?
KapsAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapsAstra View Post
Geesh, that kinda is low for the OLM. You D.I.C. told you to change the oil at 3,000 miles? How hard do you drive your vehicle? Typically, the OLM usually trips between 5000-7000 miles. And let me be a little proactive here:
1) No you will not damage your engine if you follow the OLM cycle.
2) No you will not void your warranty.
3) No it makes no sense to subscribe to the "old school" thinking of changing oil every 3,000 miles or 6 months. This just wastes oil, money, and time.
4) The OLM program is highly sophiscated that takes into account variables like engine "on" time, engine speed, vehicle speed, braking, DTCs, temperatures, throttle inputs, shift techniques, and on and on.
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Audi Junkie

The engine is filled with GM LL-025-A synthetic oil from the factory, a 20k miles oil.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

according to the dealer, the 2008 astra engine oil was just regular oil.
i am old school. i change the oil (synthetic) & filter every four months - the cheap engine insurance u can buy.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
i am old school. i change the oil (synthetic) & filter every four months - the cheap engine insurance u can buy.
I'm wondering for a long time how often people in the US are changing there oil. I thought they drive the most time at relative low speed and rpms? Personally I change my oil only once a year and my little econobox engines (1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.9 liter) revs most of the time between 4,000 and 6,000 rpms and I have never ever a problem with the engine, only with the brakes on all of my cars I owned.

Btw, I drive in average 20,000 km (12,400 miles) per year.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
I used to be old school too until I realized how much money I was wasting, how much I was polluting, and how useless changing the oil so frequently is.
If you don't trust me have an oil analysis done and you'll be convinced.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
I used to be old school too until I realized how much money I was wasting, how much I was polluting, and how useless changing the oil so frequently is.
If you don't trust me have an oil analysis done and you'll be convinced.
The "old school" comment really dates back to the cars of that era, not the people. The crank cases of old engines weren't sealed to the atmosphere like todays' engines, so fumes were allowed to escape and humidity (and dust) was allowed to enter. Oil additives have also gotten better over time, and don't break down as quickly as the older oils. The "old school" routine was to change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles (5,000 kms) and if you check around, the only people still pushing that schedule are the people making money off of oil changes. The only time an auto manufacturer recommends such intervals today is for "severe service" applications (eg: short drives where the oil doesn't get a chance to warm up fully). GM didn't spend millions of dollars developing their oil life indicator technology just to make enemies out of the stock holders at Jiffy Boob.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
adammsu
adammsu is on a distinguished road

i just got my oil changed again yesterday, 3rd or 4th in the car... and they still didn't reset the OLM. I had to do it myself in the parking lot. I almost went back in and told them to do it, but i figured if it wasn't done, it was probably cuz they didn't know how...
2008 Astra XR5 Twilight Blue
---I hate being a mod-inclined person w/o the money/time to do any of it---
adammsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
bitz_dv
bitz_dv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammsu View Post
i just got my oil changed again yesterday, 3rd or 4th in the car... and they still didn't reset the OLM. I had to do it myself in the parking lot. I almost went back in and told them to do it, but i figured if it wasn't done, it was probably cuz they didn't know how...
When I first started taking mine in I had to call the service manager and tell him how to do it and that the only thing his guys were successfully doing was resetting my tripometer. Took some time, but they finally got it right.
I used to beat up cars, then I got a Saturn.
-Bitz
bitz_dv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

our dealship has alteast 1 smart mechaini hes older one he sounds like he knows what hes talking about
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal scan View Post
our dealship has alteast 1 smart mechaini hes older one he sounds like he knows what hes talking about
You betcha...
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Audi Junkie

If you don't mind chaning the oil, just use the cheap stuff. 3000 miles may only apply to the shortest of short trippers, people who only drive a mile or two to work and the oil never gets hot enough to self-clean (burn off condensation and excess fuel). Water + old oil mixed and warmed= yuk.

This is what the OLM takes into account. No harm can be done by using plain dino (SM spec) oil; at OLM intervals.

This tool gives some insight for comparison of API spec dino and Euro spec ACEA A5 oil...

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngi...ToolIntro.html

Good over-the-counter 30 weight synth oils will carry the A5 spec, a lesser synth might have just A1, even some blend oils have A1. Pennzoil Platinum and SynPower come to mind w/A5, Mobil 1 is just an A1 oil.

So, by comparison you see if dino SM oil is fine at OLM intervals, like 8000miles normal driving, you see the enormous fudge factor involved with an extended drain synth oil. 20k is normal service with the factory Opel LL-025-A oil, basicly an A5 grade.

Find a brand of dino you like and go with that. I believe more frequent changes of dino produce a better result for the same money (a factor of 2x comes to mind). There is no substitute for physically draining out the old contaminates and crud, plus the fresh friction modifiers give that "new oil feeling". Just do it at an interval that makes sense. 2-3-4 times a year on a TIMED schedule is good, maybe even change viscs for summer and winter. Fresh oil for the winter is a must, the cold-cranking ability is reduced quickly in-service.

It looks like we are doing 2x a year with the synthetic oil I already have in a big stash. If I was using dino, maybe 3x a year, every 4 months.

Maybe try a brand of oil your dad or grandpa used or pick a cool bottle colour.

Some of the best preformers are:

PennZoil Yellow Bottle

Motorcraft (or any Conoco product: Trop Artic, Kendall, even cheap PepBoys Proline)

Havoline/Chevron

Castrol GTX

There really is no bad API SM spec oil. 5000-6000 with any is a breeze, Mobil Clean 5000 is even guaranteed at 5k.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=1&page=1

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 09-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you follow the OLM and change when it hits the INSP0 mark, and the engine fails within the first 5 years or 100,000 miles, it won't be your nickel. If the dealer gives you crap, produce receipts showing mileage (it helps to keep a maintenace log). If you've always gone to a Saturn dealer, it will be in their database.
Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote