SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Thinking of trading for a 09 VUE XE, 2.4L

I am thinking of trading my Aura in for a 09 Vue XE with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine.

What should I look for when go to the dealer to test drive?
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2
Default Re: Thinking of trading for a 09 VUE XE, 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post
I am thinking of trading my Aura in for a 09 Vue XE with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine.

What should I look for when go to the dealer to test drive?
Don't buy the 4 banger Vue IMO its under powered for the weight it has to pull. We love our Caddy (motor) CTS inspired V-6 Vue Other then that, just make sure the paint and body is strait,no dents or dings from sitting any period of time.I won't buy any new car that they want to send to the body shop before I take delivery of it. Good luck with your purchase and I am sure you will love the New Generation Vue
Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I too have the V6 and just love it. I probably would have purchased the 4 cylinder but I needed the extra power to tow my 18 foot travel trailer. Our neighbor has a 4 cylinder Vue and just loves it. He claims it has enough power for his needs. I'm not certain what that means but he had a Ford Taurus before buying the Vue. Make sure you give the 4 banger a good test drive (both city and highway) and see what you think.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have on 08 Vue...and it happens to be a "4-banger". For me, it is enough power for my needs. If you have plans to use a hitch often then the 4 cyl may not be the one for you. I have been on several road trips and have not had any problems that made me wish I had chosen the 6. It's really about personal needs and satisfaction.

As mentioned, I would check the exterior (and interior) thoroughly...not because it's a Vue. I think that's something that should be done with any new vehicle you buy. Just treat it like you would during any test drive...only you know what feels right for you.
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
k2qo
k2qo is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2009 AURA XR

Hi Gang,

I have both! A 2008 2.4L Vue XE and a 2009 Aura 3.6L XR. My wife drives the latter. For me the 2.4L is just fine. One reason is because it is sooooo smooth! It revs effortlessly and feels great. We just took the Vue on a 1300 mile road trip through the Adirondack Park, NH, VT and ME. Mostly at the speed limit to 5 mph over. The actual calculated MPGs for the trip were 29.1, 27.4 and 26.5. The last leg was fighting a headwind on the NYS Thruway at 70 mph. That is with 3 adults with gear for a week. (I do use Mobil 1 5W-30 and follow the OLM.)

If I had to buy the Vue again, I might go the XE AWD, but I do have snow tires on steelies which does a credible job here in WNY snow country. The need to stop and corner trump a quick take off in the snow/ice.

Good luck.
Best regards,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra
k2qo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

A friend of mine bought a 2008 Vue with the 2.4L, but he wasn't too thrilled by the low power-to-weight ratio of the vehicle.

The 2010 Equinox is supposed to have a direct injection version of the 2.4L ... I think that adds 10 or 15 HP. Perhaps that motor will find its way to the Vue? If not, I'd consider the new Equinox over the Vue for the better engine and better chance for service support into the future.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
ski2moro
ski2moro is on a distinguished road

Just yesterday, I had to utilize all the power that my 6 cylinder Vue had in order to avoid a collision on the highway. The Vue responded well to the request.

Actually, I was surprised at the amount of power it had. I'm a conservative driver and as a result, have better gas mileage than most.

But when I needed power and handling to avoid the boat that came off the trailer in front of me , the Vue accelerated quickly and smoothly and the handling was superb. I was truly impressed.

I doubt that the 4 cylinder would have been able to handle the situation as well.

Get the 6.

PS. As for the boat, it laid down a patch of white fiberglas on the highway and ripped off most of the lower unit. Apparently, the idiot had only the winch rope holding the boat to the trailer. When it came off the trailer, the boat was whipping across three lanes of the highway. I was about 3 cars back and saw the whole thing. I saw the opportunity to avoid a collision and accelerated around it before the boat broke free.

Last edited by ski2moro; 05-31-2009 at 11:42 AM.
ski2moro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I'll bet you were a little shaky after that episode. Glad you are fine and that the Vue performed well. Yet another reason to drive a Vue. We just love our V6 XR AWD. One thing about the 4 cylinder however is that the Ecotec 4 cylinder engine is probably one of the best engines ever built. Indeed it is virtually indestructible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski2moro View Post
Just yesterday, I had to utilize all the power that my 6 cylinder Vue had in order to avoid a collision on the highway. The Vue responded well to the request.

Actually, I was surprised at the amount of power it had. I'm a conservative driver and as a result, have better gas mileage than most.

But when I needed power and handling to avoid the boat that came off the trailer in front of me , the Vue accelerated quickly and smoothly and the handling was superb. I was truly impressed.

I doubt that the 4 cylinder would have been able to handle the situation as well.

Get the 6.

PS. As for the boat, it laid down a patch of white fiberglas on the highway and ripped off most of the lower unit. Apparently, the idiot had only the winch rope holding the boat to the trailer. When it came off the trailer, the boat was whipping across three lanes of the highway. I was about 3 cars back and saw the whole thing. I saw the opportunity to avoid a collision and accelerated around it before the boat broke free.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
ar15
ar15 is on a distinguished road

I have the 4 cyl 2008 Vue with 36K miles.

The power is fine for everything except hilly highways, where the car loses speed, and has to downshift often from 4th to second gear.

I just drove a 1600 miles round trip from Mobile, Alabama to Indianapolis, and got 25 mpg going mostly 75 mph.

I've never gotten the claimed 26 mpg, and I've never gotten worse than 22 mpg no matter how hard I've driven it.
ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I have an 08 Vue 4 cyl and to be honest, it drives fine, and has enough power for what I intend to use it for. I've even had it packed with 5 adults and cargo, and it hasn't felt underpowered. Then again, I've gotten over my lead foot awhile back. Maybe if I wanted to boot around town more zippy than I do now, I could see it as a problem.

Drive the 4 and make the decision for yourself. Only you can make the final call based on your driving style and intended use.

Since purchasing the vue, I've seen some people go on to say that the 4 cyl is not safe because it is weak for the size of the vehicle. I've seen people with the dumbest excuses for not buying a 4 cyl than I have ever seen. Some claim that the vehicle doesn't get up to speed fast enough, causing it to be unsafe for highway merges, etc.

I've had mine for a year thus far, and I drive 80% highway. I have no problems merging. No close encounters yet with people about to hit my slow-ass SUV. No issues with poor gas mileage because of a 4 cyl in my heavy SUV, etc.

It's fine for what most people would need it for, but if you have to tow, or you absoolutely need AWD, the 4 banger is not for you, otherwise, you should have no problems with it.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

We have an 09 VUE XE with the 2.4L Ecotec. There is plenty of power for non-towing driving and I can get 28 to 30 MPG on the highway using cruise control. I agree the V6 has more power as I discovered on a test drive and I might have opted for that if our usage was at least 75% highway. My wife however uses the VUE as her everyday car for urban driving and the 2.4 does get better mileage in town. The power issue depends on what you are used to and what you want out of your VUE. Test drive it under the same conditions that you will use it and decide for yourself.
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
ar15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
We have an 09 VUE XE with the 2.4L Ecotec. There is plenty of power for non-towing driving and I can get 28 to 30 MPG on the highway using cruise control. I agree the V6 has more power as I discovered on a test drive and I might have opted for that if our usage was at least 75% highway. My wife however uses the VUE as her everyday car for urban driving and the 2.4 does get better mileage in town. The power issue depends on what you are used to and what you want out of your VUE. Test drive it under the same conditions that you will use it and decide for yourself.
John,

I'd like to know:

1. How are you computing your gas mileage?

2. If you are truly getting that kind of gas mileage, how are you doing it?

Like I've mentioned, I've NEVEr been able to reach the advertised 26 mpg this car is supposed to get. I have tried everything I can think of to improve the mileage. I over inflated the tires, turned off the a/c, rolled up the windows, used the cruise, and traveled down a mostly level highway at 65 mph, and only got slightly better than 25mpg.

Do you drive down hill all the time, or never exceed 55 mph?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
saturnd00d

2008 VUE 2.4L

I can't speak for John10, but I achieve great mileage just by driving speed limit, and not taking off from a stoplight or stopsign using full throttle.

I have 35,000 kms on mine and I can tell you, my mileage did improve with age. I also use full synthetic in mine, and change the oil every 7,000 kms (about 5,000mi)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
ar15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d View Post
I can't speak for John10, but I achieve great mileage just by driving speed limit, and not taking off from a stoplight or stopsign using full throttle.

I have 35,000 kms on mine and I can tell you, my mileage did improve with age. I also use full synthetic in mine, and change the oil every 7,000 kms (about 5,000mi)
Perhaps the MAS is detecting the hot moist southern air I'm feeding it, as opposed to the thin air in Canada, and forcing more fuel into the chamber to accommodate.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15 View Post
John,

I'd like to know:

1. How are you computing your gas mileage?

2. If you are truly getting that kind of gas mileage, how are you doing it?
ar15- I can get that kind of mileage if I set the cruise between 68-72 (I usually set it right at 70), can drive long stretches without hitting the brakes, have the AC off and have no more than one passenger and no heavy cargo with me. I also exclusively use Shell Tier 1 gasoline where it is available. I have found that Shell adds 1 to 2 MPG over ethanol laced junk regardless of brand.

If I start driving over the low 70s and have to use a lot of braking and acceleration in traffic flow I drop to 25 to 26 MPG. It's usually easy for me to get 28+ on I-80 in PA and hard on I-95 from PA to VA simply because of traffic related slowdowns and acceleration.

I have never had any problem beating the EPA highway estimates on any 4 cyl Saturn I have ever owned but I will equally admit I can't often do the same in local urban driving conditions.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
ar15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
ar15- I can get that kind of mileage if I set the cruise between 68-72 (I usually set it right at 70), can drive long stretches without hitting the brakes, have the AC off and have no more than one passenger and no heavy cargo with me. I also exclusively use Shell Tier 1 gasoline where it is available. I have found that Shell adds 1 to 2 MPG over ethanol laced junk regardless of brand.

If I start driving over the low 70s and have to use a lot of braking and acceleration in traffic flow I drop to 25 to 26 MPG. It's usually easy for me to get 28+ on I-80 in PA and hard on I-95 from PA to VA simply because of traffic related slowdowns and acceleration.

I have never had any problem beating the EPA highway estimates on any 4 cyl Saturn I have ever owned but I will equally admit I can't often do the same in local urban driving conditions.
John, your Vue must either be built better than mine, or mine worse than yours.

I have taken 100% highway gas mileage measurements with top tier gas (even Premium to see if it would help), just my 150lb body in the car and a briefcase, a/c off, cruise on 65 to 70 mph, tires over-inflated to 40lbs, clean waxed car, new 5w-30 oil, clean air filter, and light foot. I cannot under any circumstance, get this car to achieve 26 mpg or higher.

I get new company fleet cars about every two years because I do so much driving. EVERY car I have owned for the past 20 years has exceeded the epa estimated gas mileage for that car, except this one.

Now, I like the car fine. It drives and rides well. It is solid with no squeaks or rattles. The fit and finish is very good. BUT, based on my experience as a professional driver, this car's gas mileage is not meeting the epa estimate, and is not very good for a car this size.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

ar15- It would not surprise me if there is MPG variation among various cars of the same make and model. I'm not questioning your results just because mine are different.

If you have this kind of interest in gas mileage, engage the setting on the info center on your dash to show the instantaneous gas mileage as tracked by the car's computer. It was very enlightening to me to see just how low the MPGs go on hard acceleration and how high they can be rolling on level ground or going down hill. After that its all just averages.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
ar15

My 2008 does not have the DIC, but I have two other cars that do, so I know what you are talking about.

With my job, I have to log my mileage, every time I buy gas, so I compute the gas mileage on every fillup. I just passed 37K miles. A few time I have filled up, and driven a hundred or so miles down the highway, exited, and filled up again to see how high gas mileage I might get. I've already told you my results. I'm just surprised this car doesn't get close to 30 mpg on such tests.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I guess I must be one of the luckier Vue owners...I now get 26-29 mpg on highway trips and 21-24 mpg mixed driving. I don't do anything special...I'm not the most conservative driver...I tried to be last year when gas was painfully high, but driving habits are hard to break lol. My last few tanks included AC use because I live in the South and I'm not willing to suffer in high heat and humidity just to gain a few miles. My oil is whatever the dealership service center uses when they do my car care services. My tires are inflated appropriately. Overall I'm happy with the mpg's as is...of course I wouldn't complain if it were better. It's alot better now than it was when I first got the car...I have a little over 14.5k miles now. Like I said before, the 2.4L fits my needs so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
saturnd00d

2008 VUE 2.4L

I just wanted to share with you all, that on my last tank of gas (ending 2 days ago) I achieved a personal best of 32 MPG driving 90% highway

This was achieved on 62 litres of fuel going a distance of 700.9 kms

Given that 1 gallon equals 4.54 litres of fuel and 1 mile equals 1.6 km

Now, I did slow take-offs from a stop, tried some hypermiling techniques like planning traffic lights ahead so I don't have to stop as often, and coasted down slopes (not in neutral but still in gear) and I have learned to allow the car to downshift for brief periods of time on lengthy inclines so that it's not costantly revving at 3,000 RPM, but say for only a minute, then force it to down shift again to 4th and stay there for as long as I can before downshifting again.

I know it sounds complicated, but it's just like learning manual transmission, you're trying to concentrate on these techniques so much, but after a few days of doing it, it becomes second-nature.

For the record, my tires are over-inflated to 36 PSI (from 30) and I run full synthetic as well. I do occassionally run a tank of lucas fuel treatment to clean out the gunk, and recently had a buddy stop by and I used throttle body cleaner (while he revved my engine for me). I also use Lucas Oil stabilizer (1/2 litre) to help with lubrication. Yes I know of the site bobistheoilguy, and yes I have been using oil stabilizer for years with no adverse effects from it.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post, but I was excited to see the results from a few days ago. As for the 4 cyl Vue, it is a bit underpowered for some, but in the real world, MOST people wouldn't need anything more for their purposes.