SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
monte70z20
monte70z20 is on a distinguished road

Default Folding Outside Mirrors

I have a 2007 XR AWD. It does not have the power folding mirrors. On many occassion's I need to park in tight spots where I need to fold in the mirrors. The driver's side folds in but I have not been able to fold in the passenger side mirror. At my last service, I ask them to look into the passenger side mirror and when I picked it up later in the day I was told they checked on another Outlook in the lot and it did not fold in either. Is this true? I find it weird that Saturn would only have one side fold in, especially since most other GM vehicles I've owned both sides fold in. I know it is an inconvenience to have to get out to fold in the passenger side but can't imagine this to be a reason to not make it fold in. Any help appreciated. m70z20
monte70z20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Folding Outside Mirrors

I have an 08 XR and both my mirrors fold.
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I thought that Power mirrors were standard on the XR. Something does not sound right. I would go to the dealership and look at one on the lot and try for yourself. Even try an XE as they should be the same mirror. Then if you find one that does fold in, walk over to the shop and tell them that is the one you want.
2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte70z20 View Post
I have a 2007 XR AWD. It does not have the power folding mirrors. On many occassion's I need to park in tight spots where I need to fold in the mirrors. The driver's side folds in but I have not been able to fold in the passenger side mirror. At my last service, I ask them to look into the passenger side mirror and when I picked it up later in the day I was told they checked on another Outlook in the lot and it did not fold in either. Is this true? I find it weird that Saturn would only have one side fold in, especially since most other GM vehicles I've owned both sides fold in. I know it is an inconvenience to have to get out to fold in the passenger side but can't imagine this to be a reason to not make it fold in. Any help appreciated. m70z20
Monte70z20: Dual Power Folding, Heated Mirrors are included in the XR Enhanced Convenience Package. If you have the power folding buttons on the door, then you must have that option. Soulds like your passenger side mirror needs adjustment. Stop by your friendly, neighborhood Saturn store when you get a chance.
Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Are your mirrors black or do they match the color of the Outlook (unless that of course is black) and do they have the turn signal indicator?
2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
monte70z20

Thanks for the great feedback and info. It is a 2007 XR AWD. Mirrors match the color of the rest of the vehicle and have the turn signal indicators on them. They are not power as I did not get the Enhanced Convenience package so I have to manually fold these in. The driver's side is very smooth to fold in but the passenger side will not budge. I have applied significant pressure on it to the point I thought it was going to break off so I asked the dealership to look at it. As in the original post they told me another Outlook they tried in the lot did not fold in either. I will drive out to the lot and try for myself but it will be on an '08 which may be different than '07. Would appreciate if a few members with '07 and no power folding mirrors could check their passenger side mirror to see if it folds in. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback and info. It is a 2007 XR AWD. Mirrors match the color of the rest of the vehicle and have the turn signal indicators on them. They are not power as I did not get the Enhanced Convenience package so I have to manually fold these in. The driver's side is very smooth to fold in but the passenger side will not budge. I have applied significant pressure on it to the point I thought it was going to break off so I asked the dealership to look at it. As in the original post they told me another Outlook they tried in the lot did not fold in either. I will drive out to the lot and try for myself but it will be on an '08 which may be different than '07. Would appreciate if a few members with '07 and no power folding mirrors could check their passenger side mirror to see if it folds in. Thanks again.
Wow. I'm glad I told my dealer: find me an Outlook XR with EVERY available option. I drive my Outlook XR into a single garage stall by folding the power folding mirrors when entering and exiting.

I can't believe you paid for an XR without power folding mirrors. I'm in shock.
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
monte70z20: Just tried the two pre-owned '07 Outlooks out on the lot. Both folded fine... what I did notice is that the mirrors on the Outlook took more effort to fold than I expected. Upon further examination, there's a pretty agressive little detent that the spring-loaded piece fits into. I stand with my original assessment that yours is just out of whack. I bet the spring mounted piece is stuck & just can't get out of the detent.
Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

I have a 07' XR without power folding mirrors and I just tried to fold them in and could not get either of them to budge for fear of not wanting to bust them off I quit trying. What's the deal?
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
monte70z20

Easy there Plainsman. Someone may have to call a medic. Not all of us can afford all the bells and whistles. Some of us have to choose between a bell or a whistle.

Shawn thanks for checking this out. I will try mine again. If no luck, I'm back to the dealership to let them sort it out.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Look at the mirror housing and see if it has the seams for the joints to allow it to fold. If so, give it a little persuasion, a slight pop from your open wrist.

My mirrors on my VUE needs a little pop for it to fold. They lock into place pretty tight.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Plainsman,

I decided to save the $2800 and opted for no power mirrors.
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

lewisr, ditto.

Not all of us want all the 'bells and/or whistles". We are just happy with the "bells".

I really didn't want either. All I wanted in my XR was the 'trailering package', but could not find one without other 'stuff'. Oh well, I still love my Outlook.

Back to the subject, I will try my mirrors tonight and will let you guys, and gals, know.

BL
2008 Saturn Outlook XR FWD
Silver exter and ebony cloth interior
Navigation (w/ rear view camera)
Trailering Pkg.

No brand loyalty; My loyalty is to my money!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Easy there Plainsman. Someone may have to call a medic. Not all of us can afford all the bells and whistles. Some of us have to choose between a bell or a whistle.

Shawn thanks for checking this out. I will try mine again. If no luck, I'm back to the dealership to let them sort it out.
Sorry. I meant no offense. But I've read so many posts by people who bought Outlook XE's or a fairly bare XR and now want to add (so they must have the money) HIDs or 19" tires or trailering or something else. Why didn't they get all that stuff in the first place? I'm not rich, so I held out until I could get exactly what I wanted instead of buying a bare model right away and then feeling frustrated later on.
2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
monte70z20

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I took all your advice and I did try again and with a little more persuasion I got the passenger side to fold in as well. For others having difficulty, try pulling up on the mirror to get over the "notch or lip" that it sits in, at the same time as folding it in. Once it popped up and folded it once, subsequent folding in was a lot easier. Not sure if something inside this swivel mechanism seized over time from lack of use. Once again thanks!!