SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
corynoack
corynoack is on a distinguished road

Default Help 93 sl1 won't start

I have been working on a 93 sl1 that the timing chain guides fell a part. I have cleaned and rebuilt the motor but when I try starting it it turns over gets fuel has spark but will not start I need some help
corynoack is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Help 93 sl1 won't start

What are the compression readings?
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Got compression?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
corynoack

Yes it has compression
Old 06-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
corynoack

Can anyone give me some advice on this problem
Old 06-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Must have spark, gas, and compression. Remove plug wires from 1 coil and crank engine while verifying spark between towers.

Once you experience a protracted failure to start there are several things that if done will markedly increase the probability of starting the car after verifying that you do have both spark and fuel.

1) remove PCM B fuse
2) place battery on a slow charger for 16 to 24 hours before the next start attempt
3) remove all plugs and place about a tablespoon full of engine oil in each cylinder and crank engine over 1 or 2 complete revolutions
4) install new plugs
5) install new wires
6) verify correct plug wire routing and dress, do not assume it is correct
7) replace PCM B fuse and turn key to RUN for 3 to 5 seconds but do not crank engine, then turn back off to lock position
8) wait 30 seconds
9) repeat #7 and #8
10) turn key to RUN, wait 3 seconds and continue to CRANK, only crank engine for about 5 seconds if it does not start, that will be ~21 revolutions of the engine

If the engine does not start after following these steps its time to start looking at other causes of not starting.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

"Can anyone give me some advice on this problem"

Tell me what the actual compression readings are...
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
corynoack

OK I found out that a couple of the cylinders have 0 compression so I guess that is why it won't start
Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That could be part of the problem. When you replaced the chain and guides did you have the head off and check for bent valves?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #10
corynoack

Yes I did I visually check and used a feeler gauge to check for any gaps and didn't find any
Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
corynoack

I also rebuilt the block with new bearings and new ring. The guy that owns the car had drive it till one of the rocker arms broke off then he replace the rocker arm and tried to start it and it broke off the rocker arm again
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
billr
Master Member

I think that "feeler gauge" check wasn't sufficient. You need to remove the valves and spin them in an arbor... at least roll the stems on a flat surface. Were only a "couple of cylinders" at 0 psi, or did you stop checking compression after the first two? What was compression on all four? Re-check the cam timing before yanking the head, but if this thing has already broken two rockers, I think there is something seriously wrong with that head (or the way cam timing is being set).
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

To check valves for leakage filling combustion chambers with naphtha is simple and requires no head disassembly, all that is required except being able to recognize the chamber is not holding fluid. Breaking rockers is indicative of bent stems as is zero compression. Either leakage, zero/low compression or broken rockers requires head disassembly to actually check valve condition or better yet valve replacement.