SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 09-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
acg8320
acg8320 is on a distinguished road

Question 2003 Saturn Vue No Power To Brake Lights...

Hi guys, long time browser here, first time posting. So I got a problem with this 2003 Vue I got a few months ago. Ever since I bought the car I've had no brake lights at all including the third light and I just now got around to fixing it.
What I've already done:
-Checked the fuse in under the hood, it was good but I replaced it anyway. Also checked it was getting power and it is.
-Replaced all the bulbs. They were a little blackened on the glass, but the filaments all looked good.
-Tested the brake light switch and it checked out okay on the multimeter, replaced it anyway...no luck.
-Tested the wires on each of the 3 lights, no power anywhere with lights off.
-Turned on headlights and the right and left sockets showed ~11.0v, the 3rd brake light showed 7.0v.
-Tested the wire leads to the brake light switch and with brake pedal pressed/switch on I'm only reading ~0.11v to the switch.

So I know I'm losing power somewhere between the 10 amp fuse under the hood and the brake switch. With it not being a total voltage loss, I'm guessing either a loose connection or bad ground. Could a relay cause that? Is there any fuses I'm missing? The only fuse/relay I'm seeing that has anything to do with the brake lights is just the one under the hood? Any help would be great. I suck at reading electrical diagrams so if anyone wants to post a diagram of the circuit, if you could please edit it and kinda circle what I'm looking for I'd appreciate it lol. Thanks!
acg8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue No Power To Brake Lights...

I think the body control module (BCM) controls all gauges, interior and exterior lighting, among other programs like security and a gateway for all error codes output to the OBD II port. The brake pedal may have two switches; one for brakes and the other for cruise control. Brake and cruise control signals go into the bcm and may switch ground instead of 12v. There may be other fuses inside by the foot well to check. Briefly put, pressing brake pedal sends a signal to the bcm, the bcm sends either a ground signal or 12v to brake lights. There may be wiring diagrams within these forums. Checking the bottom of this page for Similar Threads may help or try using advanced search. Vue members may have better info.

Hopefully this is just a blown fuse or faulty relay and not a wiring problem. Check for any aftermarket mods that may have interfered with the brake circuit. Most aftermarket wiring mods are conspicuous by loose wiring not bundled and taped as factory wiring shows and sometimes power taps into existing wiring for 12v power along with an inline fuse on a wire.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
acg8320

From what I've read so far on other posts I've seen about this problem, the orange wire going into the brake switch is supposed to be hot at all times then when you press the pedal the plunger in the switch comes out and allows the current to flow through to the light blue wire to illuminate the brakes. I'd like to know for sure because if all else fails and I can't find the problem, couldn't i just run my own fused jumper to the brake switch and it would correct the problem? So if anyone can tell me for 100% sure the orange wire is supposed to be 12v constant that'd be great! �� I'd hate to go and experiment for myself and run 12v to a ground and it like fry my bcm or something..be just my luck����
Old 09-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
acg8320

I'm really hoping its not a problem with the bcm which it very well could be. For what looks like the entire life of the car had the notorious sunroof leak since for some reason they decided to manufacture the car with too short of drain tubes in the front. When I got the car there was a pool of water in the glove box and probably another inch of water in both floorboards. All the metal in the dash is rusted from all the moisture sitting in the car all the time, so its a very real possibility corrosion has struck the bcm as well since im pretty sure the bcm is located right around the interior passenger side fuse box. I guess when you buy a car for 500 bucks stuff like this is inevitable.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you browsed past threads to keep up with problems as they occured, did you cpme across rain water seeping into wiring around the side kick plate, driver's side? Water intrusion into a multiple pin connector can corrode male/female connections creating unusual problems. A Vue member has posted drawings and diagrams pointing to water intrusion getting into connections.

If you have a sun/moon roof, check for threads where the drain tubes are located. Poking a pipe cleaner or appropriate wire to help push debris collected over the years may free the drain tubes with water running out at the bottom near the front hinge area. Heavy pollen (if in your area) mixing with rain may clog these drains.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:51 AM   #6
acg8320

Well I already fixed the water leaking problem within the first hour of having the car, I was just saying thats how the previous owner let the car sit the entire time they had it. So yeah ill probably have to tear apart the dash so I can try and clean the pin connectors on the bcm and fuse box. Thats the only thing I can think would be the problem is a corroded ground or wire somewhere cause I took a jumper wire and touched it to the light blue wire on the brake switch and the all 3 brake lights lit right up! You'd think if it was a problem due to a corroded ground/wire somewhere I'd have at least one other issue besides just the brake lights but cars are peculiar objects lol. Especially ones that weren't taken care of all that well.

Any suggestions on what I should use to clean the corrosion off the pin connectors?
Old 09-29-2022, 12:52 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One product may work - DeoxIT.