SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-29-2022, 07:23 AM   #1
Cartell
Cartell is on a distinguished road

Default Where to find 1991 SL2 body parts for body shop

Hello, again.

My lovely landlady clipped my drivers side back corner with her huge Ram truck. She won't really admit she did it, but we have tandem parking. But it is weird that it didn't damage my fender, just the back light and that panel. Because her bumper is so high up?

Anyway, I'm devastated, like I am any time I get damage to this car I love. I got an estimate a few years ago for an accident and that body shop was able to find a part at a junkyard cheap. I thought it would be the same now, but the shop we took it to said it would be very very hard to find parts.

Is it really that hard? Are there certain junkyards that have more older cars? I live in Los Angeles - I guess they ship them. I'm going to another shop for an estimate tomorrow and wanted to give him some suggestions, if you have any...I thought I could upload a photo here, but I don't see how.
Cartell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Where to find 1991 SL2 body parts for body shop

'91-'95 SL/SL1/SL2 are all the same body wise. Certain '91-'92's got a sweet 2-tone paint job but the panels are still the same.

Car-part.com may help but don't expect an email response from any of the yards (call their number). You may have to look up a "big ticket" item like engine or wheels rather than tail-lights and call to see if they have the car to go with the listed part.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartell View Post
Is it really that hard? Are there certain junkyards that have more older cars? I live in Los Angeles - I guess they ship them. I'm going to another shop for an estimate tomorrow and wanted to give him some suggestions, if you have any...I thought I could upload a photo here, but I don't see how.
unfortunately, california is notoriously hostile towards older cars, regardless of how efficient or non-polluting they are. ironic for a state that's supposedly so keen on "reduce and reuse" but i digress. you will probably have a lot more luck finding parts at an out-of-state junkyard. can you post some pictures of the car/damage? i can have a look and see if any of the junkyards here in colorado would have the parts you need, although shipping would surely be expensive from here.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
Cartell

I would love to post a photo! It looks like it has to be online, though- can I just upload one somehow?

And you are so right - Calif dumps nearly every car over 10 years. It's pretty disgusting and totally wasteful.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #5
Cartell

I'll call them tomorrow, thanks!
Old 03-29-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
I would love to post a photo! It looks like it has to be online, though- can I just upload one somehow?
Yes you can. Just edit it down so it's not too big.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
Cartell

Hello, again.

My lovely landlady clipped my drivers side back corner with her huge Ram truck. She won't really admit she did it, but we have tandem parking. But it is weird that it didn't damage my fender, just the back light and that panel. Because her bumper is so high up?

Anyway, I'm devastated, like I am any time I get damage to this car I love. I got an estimate a few years ago for an accident and that body shop was able to find a part at a junkyard cheap. I thought it would be the same now, but the shop we took it to said it would be very very hard to find parts.

Is it really that hard? Are there certain junkyards that have more older cars? I live in Los Angeles - I guess they ship them. I'm going to another shop for an estimate tomorrow and wanted to give him some suggestions, if you have any...
Upload image through manage attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn hole connor.jpg (157.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:47 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The good news is that all those parts bolt on. Not a hard job.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:14 AM   #9
Cartell

Hi, thanks.

I called some junkyards and I can get the light, shipped, for about $50. Haven't found the 1/4 panel yet...and if I do find it, they all said they have to ship it freight, which would be $250 shipping alone!

One shop said if it was a flat hole, he could repair with metal and bondo, but he can't do curves. One of the wrecking yards said a good body shop could repair it, however, but he's 3 hours away...

I guess I have a lot more calls or visits to make.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:16 AM   #10
Gerheardt
Gerheardt is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

It's a real shame that i have no place for it... In my neighbor's town, someone i know is having one for sale, only good for parts, of that exact color. It's 400 CAN$. I thought about buying it for spare parts for me, a friend that has a 94 and people in here if needed, but my parking is already filled.

Otherwise, i could fix that body part for you, but i'm so far away, it will cost you a fortune to ship it here and bring it back... I also have the light as a spare. I have the pair but one of them is broken (way less than yours, though).

If i can be of any help, contact me by email since i'm not visiting the place so frequently. david_girard_666666@hotmail.com
1995 manual Saturn SL2 325 000kms
2000 automatic Volvo S70 probably more than 400 000kms
2003 manual Mazda Miata 128 000kms
Gerheardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
ultravioletnk

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

from the picture, that actually looks like intentional vandalism... like someone took a baseball bat to it or similar. i don't suppose you have an abundance of miscreants in your area? D:

Quote:
I called some junkyards and I can get the light, shipped, for about $50. Haven't found the 1/4 panel yet...and if I do find it, they all said they have to ship it freight, which would be $250 shipping alone!
well, the good news is, you can replace the light despite that damage to the fender, and you'll at least have functional tail lights while you continue your hunt for the fender. that's what i'd do, in order to ensure safe/legal lighting until i could procure a matching fender. the light housings are held in with 2 torx screws, t20 iirc, and very easy to swap out yourself.

Quote:
One shop said if it was a flat hole, he could repair with metal and bondo, but he can't do curves. One of the wrecking yards said a good body shop could repair it, however, but he's 3 hours away...
ahh, more clueless individuals who don't seem to understand saturns. clearly, they failed to note that the body panels are plastic, and cannot be reasonably repaired with sheet metal and bondo. i suppose you could try but the results would not be good. the answer is a replacement fender, if you can't find one in a matching colour and are willing to pay to have one repainted to match, that would be an option. however i'm sure with some hunting you can find one that matches.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
Old 04-01-2022, 04:40 AM   #12
Cartell

Thanks, I thought the exact same myself: it was vandalism. BUT this is in a very safe garage - part of a condo complex of 20 units. (I rent a room from the owner of mine.) She has 2 spaces and always parks behind me because she has such a huge truck it sticks into the aisle.

But most cars here are pretty new - no bumpers in front - and since she pulls in with a sharp left turn to get around a pole I THINK only she could have done it. But it's still a bit of a mystery to me how it happened.

Yes, it has 3 screws - Autozone took them out to put a temporary light bulb in for me. But wouldn't I have to know where the wires go into the car? You're right, I could get the fender later. But I don't want to live here when more apts become available...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tandem parking.jpg (152.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg our bumpers.jpg (156.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg connor tire.jpg (129.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

IF that RED CHEVROLET truck in the photo is your landlady's, there is no damage on her vehicle, unless it is on the right side of that vehicle....which is NOT a Dodge Ram by the way.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

I don't know why they would have to ship it freight. The body panels for these cars are incredibly light. I see boxes about the size needed for a quarter panel for one of these being shipped all the time.

Some guy backed into the RH quarter panel on my old '95 wagon many years ago. I had to drive about 2.5 hours but I got one from a junkyard in the same color as my car and put it on. The body panels on these are very easy to replace. I wouldn't even waste time with a body shop.
'85 Ford LTD Squire
'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'97 T-Bird LX
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'98 Saturn SW2 5 Speed (wife's car)
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #15
Cartell

Yes, sorry, it's a Silverado and says off-road.
Nope, no damage, but some grey paint on my bumper that matches the grey on hers, plus some very iight scratching on her grey bumper on the other side.
I could be wrong! Your opinions are very welcome! It's hard to imagine that someone else in this building would do this either in a car or with a weapon...
Old 05-16-2022, 06:41 AM   #16
Cartell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
The good news is that all those parts bolt on. Not a hard job.
Hi, everyone. Hope it's okay to keep going on this thread - let me know if I should start a new one.

I have been to 5 shops and called a lot more, as well as salvage yards all over - at least the bigger ones I found. I didn't really think about ebay until 2 shops told me they wouldn't order from ebay in case the parts were incorrect. Then I thought, maybe I should try ebay!

It's easy to find the back light. However, I'm having trouble finding the left rear panel still, and I need that to push the light in the right place. Then I noticed some sellers have what looks like the right part to me - but when I wrote to the seller he said it wasn't. When you click the button above that says "Check if this part fits your vehicle" it says only 1992. But I thought it was the same part for 1991.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27515004894...mis&media=COPY
Does anyone have a parts book to see whether this part 10203070 would also fit my car? Maybe ebay only goes back 30 years!
Old 05-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Apparently I was wrong about body parts being fully '91-'95.

21080823 is the right part number for '91-'92 (1st design).
21095495 is the right part number for '92-'95 (2nd design).
No idea what they changed in '92, it's not to do with the gas door as that's the same '91-'95. Something to do with the taillight as that says '91-'92 and '93-'95 but that doesn't say design 1 & 2 like the quarter panel does.
Might not matter IRL, a lot of parts say they only fit this year or that year and either bolt on with no effort/changes or fairly easy to make changes.

10203070 is not a valid GM part number that I can find on any of the dealer websites. None of the part numbers given in that eBay link are currently valid GM Part numbers. Not as in they goto discontinued parts (the 2 I gave goto discontinued parts) but they goto "part number not found."
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 PM   #18
ultravioletnk

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Does anyone have a parts book to see whether this part 10203070 would also fit my car?
it will fit, most likely the change was a reduction in the number of fasteners holding it on. i've observed that 1991 cars have the most fasteners holding things like body panels and the cam cover on, and 2002 cars have the least. that price is a bit outrageous though!
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
Old 05-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #19
Cartell

THANK you. Just sent an email to that GM business. I'll try this new # on ebay and also call wreckyards with it.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
Cartell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletnk View Post
it will fit, most likely the change was a reduction in the number of fasteners holding it on. i've observed that 1991 cars have the most fasteners holding things like body panels and the cam cover on, and 2002 cars have the least. that price is a bit outrageous though!
I think I have to buy fasteners separate - they come up on ebay a lot.

Ha ha, it does say make an offer! But at this point, I would pay it. I want to get out of this rented room, but not before I get my landlady to pay for this, installation and paint.