SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #1
Dbad
Dbad is on a distinguished road

Default E-15... what's the plan?

Now that the government has authorized more ethanol in our gas, what's a Saturn owner to do? I can get EŘ locally, mix it 50/50 with regular (to mitigate the higher cost*) and end up with a lower ethanol blend than I'm using now—but that doesn't cover me on trips.

What's everyone else doing? Am I overthinking?

*$4.55/gal as of today
Dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: E-15... what's the plan?

If I were that worried about it I'd just hit the E0 button at the pump, though it sucks that near me it's all the high-test (91 or 93).
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

A half ounce Techron Small Engine or Stabil 360 Marine per tank
works good for me…
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:11 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Use ethanol treatment in each tank fill up. Ethanol is terrible in general, newer cars were just built to tolerate it.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:03 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbad View Post
Now that the government has authorized more ethanol in our gas, what's a Saturn owner to do? I can get EŘ locally, mix it 50/50 with regular (to mitigate the higher cost*) and end up with a lower ethanol blend than I'm using now—but that doesn't cover me on trips.

*$4.55/gal as of today
I think you're grossly overthinking it myself. There have been a couple or more people here on Saturnfans that have run E85 in the cars without any real issues. IIRC one owner got a lean code and so switched SL2 injectors into the SL car, and the code went away. Some of the people that tried it could get E85 dirt cheap, so the MPG hit was more than compensated for by the cheaper fuel.

E10 to E15 isn't going to hurt much of anything IMHO, at least not on any car made in the '90's or newer.

Found one of the threads... 37K or so on E85 before the car got wrecked.

SL on E85
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #6
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Kinda funny considering the same government was recently going to banthe use of corn in fuel because of prices and that it wasn't really doing anything for emissions.

I love this game.
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Keep an eye on the miles per gallon.

This might be a good time to pull the injectors and clean off the carbon crud build-up on the tips, or at least see how much is there.

Has anyone ever used a bottle brush to physically swab the passageway when the injectors are out of the engine?
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

If you read at AmsOil’s website, AmsOil does not recommend extended drain intervals, without testing, when using ethanol fuels. At least that was true for the HDD 5W30 that is in my SC2.
So, at some concentration of E, Saturn owners will have to follow the oil change interval recommend in their Owner’s Manual.
Alternatively, keep asking experts until you find one that tells you to do nothing.

A few years ago, I bought the exact siphon hose that’s referenced in the FSM. I bought it “used condition” on eBay. It worked flawlessly, until it disintegrated and I had to fish the debris out of the filler neck and tank. It wasn’t compatible with E10. I never considered that.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbad View Post

i run e15 in my cars when i can get it cheaper, it's one point higher octane (86) than the cheap gas (85) around here but it sure does burn off quicker. i usually see 2-5 lower mpg so it may be a false economy. aside from the lower mpg i've seen no problems or concerns with it, so i think the warning on the pumps that says it's only for 2000 and newer cars is hogwash. our cars already have fuel system components designed to handle ethanol in the gas, and obviously the e10 hasn't been doing them any harm. another 5% ethanol isn't anything to worry about imo.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #10
97sw2guy
97sw2guy is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1997 SL2

E15 is not recommended in vehicles built before 2001.
97sw2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:22 AM   #11
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97sw2guy View Post
A number of our outdoor equipment also state nothing higher than E10. One of which is a stump grinder, it's not even a year old.

This is just more government propaganda to force people to buy electric. It was already proven that the ethanol does nothing for economy and only served to drive up price of corn, thereby making food more expensive.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^^ not quite correct.
If the assumption is that corn planted for ethanol plants is the sweet corn for human eating, it is not. It's FIELD corn, to fatten up cattle.
Try eating FIELD corn just once and you will seriously not enjoy it at all.
Not sweet, a horrid flavor and cattle will do just fine without extra corn ....
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #13
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Well then someone was lying because that was the stated reason why food prices were soaring (before covid, obviously). Then again, who can we believe anymore?

On a side note, someone mentioned something about removing the injectors and cleaning them. I'm sure my car has never had that done, anyone have a link showing what to do to get them out? I could probably figure it out, but it's always nice to have a reference.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
On a side note, someone mentioned something about removing the injectors and cleaning them. I'm sure my car has never had that done, anyone have a link showing what to do to get them out? I could probably figure it out, but it's always nice to have a reference.
I think they just pop out. Mine get cleaned by gasoline every time I drive. Gas is a great solvent.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97sw2guy View Post
A search 'does E10 erode rubber components' reveals some info;

As ethanol is also a solvent it can eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass, so hoses and seals are likely to perish more quickly because of the higher concentration of ethanol in E10.

Ethanol in its purer forms, specifically E85, is long accepted as more corrosive to rubber and other engine components than gasoline. That's why carmakers have to develop “Flex-Fuel” engines specifically designed to withstand the effects of fuel that contains a majority of ethanol.

According to the experts, petrol's higher bioethanol content is corrosive to rubber parts, gaskets, seals, metals and plastics, which causes engine damage. The site adds: “E10 could dislodge deposits in older engines and fuel systems, causing blockages.

Because it is an alcohol, ethanol dries out the rubber components in a fuel system. This leads to cracking and brittle fuel lines, floats, seals and diaphragms (carburetors).

To anyone unfamiliar with crude oil, gasoline is a solvent (as Waiex191 stated) otherwise billions of injectors around the world would have issues from clogging, deposits and other issues easily creating severe engine running problems. The companies selling miracle products to clean injectors play on fear, doubt and uncertainty (FUD) whenever a mystery engine issue pops up to most owners unfamiliar with how engines run. Facing anywhere from $50-$200 per hour from mom and pop shops to high end dealers servicing high end vehicles, trying miracles in a bottle will have mixed effects without solving supposed injector issues. Since fuel distributors take great pains to filter it before loading up fuel tankers, gas stations filter it before dispensing it and every vehicle uses a filter, injectors are usually free of debris contaminating our fuel, preventing injector issues.

A co-worker brought to work a carburetor from his snow blower. Disassembling it, he found a white calcium like substance at the bottom of the feed tube, clogging fuel flow. Using regular 87 gas and probably never draining fuel at the end of snow season, the deposits are likely moisture absorbed from ethanol in fuel creating the calcified formation. He wasn't sure of this but was curious after I disassembled a home steamer for clothes. 20+ years of steamer use also created genuine calcium deposits that formed in the brass boiler water passageway, severely restricting steam formation. Scraping away this hardened deposit fixed the steamer. The carburetor was cleaned of deposits for similar results.

Rubber parts used in fuel systems erode from inside out from ethanol over time, not overnight. The car industry gradually switched products anticipating the introduction of ethanol into gasoline to reduce chances of corrosion and breakdown of rubber and plastics in fuel systems with specific warnings against ethanol use in certain years - the separation when plain rubber fuel parts were used against improved ethanol resistant parts including rubber, seals, O-rings, etc.

Last edited by fdryer; 05-31-2022 at 11:40 AM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote