SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
internetpimp
internetpimp is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue - 2.2 Manual - Reduced Engine Power

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Saturn with the 2.2 Ecotec and a manual transmission. The problem that I am having is that I am stuck in Reduced Engine Power mode.

I have checked out quite a few things so far, and I believe I'm at the point to where I would need to replace the ECM. I was hoping for some input and maybe some advice on this subject before I do. I have recently checked the TAC and everything seems fine there with the module and wiring. The problem that I believe I am having is that I am getting between 4.2 - 4.4V On the TP 2 sensor signal input pin(C2[Pin 26]) on the ECM(with C2 disconnected from the ECM) when I have the ignition in the "Run" position.

I checked out the TP 1 sensor signal input pin(C2[Pin 55]) (with C2 disconnected from the ECM)and I am getting 0V with the ignition in the "Run" position. I assume this is correct, and the voltage that I'm seeing on TP 2 sensor input to the ECM is incorrect possibly due to the pull down resistor for this circuit going bad.

I was planning on swapping the ECM but I was hoping someone had some insight on this process. I believe on most cars the ECM has to be taken to the dealer and be programmed to your vehicle. From my understanding on what I have read on various forums is that the ECM on these vehicles are adaptive and are basically plug and play with the other systems on the vehicle except for the Passkey relearn sequence and the throttle position relearn sequence. Can anyone confirm whether I would need to have the replacement ECM reprogrammed by the dealership or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to internetpimp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
internetpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2004 Vue - 2.2 Manual - Reduced Engine Power

Before you go down this path, did you attempt to read any codes??

When I resurrected my "Rescue" Vue, I bought an ECM on e-bay.. The programs are very specific for 2.2 and 4 speed manual tranny. Make sure that the donor is a 2.2 and manual..

The Passlock is stored in the BCM, so changing the ECM will not effect it.

NOTE - The ECM will have the VIN number of the donor, so if this is important (smog inspection) you may need to visit the dealer to have it re-programmed..

My ECM came out of a 2005 2.2 with manual. It still has the 2005 VIN ijn it.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
internetpimp

There is a check engine light on, a service engine soon light on, and a reduced engine power light all on the IP. I used an Actron OBD2 code reader that I have, and it returned no codes for some reason. I used a bluetooth OBD2 code reader with the OBD car doctor app and it did show that 3 codes were present, but could not retrieve the codes. It did let me reset 2/3 of the codes, but the 2 codes that were reset immediately came back.

I have read in some forums that due to the nature of the can bus protocol on these models, it is difficult to read the codes with some OBD2 readers. I'm not sure how accurate that is. Anyhow, this car has actually had this issue for a couple of years(since I bought it), and has just been sitting in my garage. I just now got around to working on it as my primary vehicle has recently been giving me problems. I would have taken the vehicle up to Autozone by now to have them try and scan the codes, but the car currently does not have a plate or insurance on it.

So as long as I find a ECM from a donor vehicle that has the same 2.2 engine, and 5 speed manual transmission as my vehicle I should be ok with not having to have the ECM programmed? I just have to worry about the VIN numbers being incorrect in the ECM? Sounds good to me! I have zero issues with that! Looks like I'm going to try and find one at a local salvage yard, hopefully I can find one cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

internetpimp, if you become familiar with this site and search threads, you'll find Saturns using Passlock (yours) can use donor BCMs or ECMs without dealer programming. The modules are plug n' play but a 30 minute relearn procedure performed at home marries the two modules. The Passlock password is learned before the two modules can work otherwise the security light flashes and injectors are disabled, preventing the engine from running.

If the engine light is ON, an error code is stored for retrieval with most readers. Reduced power mode involves the electric/electronic throttle, electronic pedal and ecm. The easiest troubleshooting to try is; turn on ignition (engine off), observe throttle plate movement as someone presses the pedal. Throttle plate movement should mirror pedal movement. Throttle and pedal have dual feedback position sensors.

DTC P2135 describes the throttle actuator. Try Autozone for decoding stored codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004 Saturn VUE - FWD.jpg (148.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png DTC P2135.png (72.5 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
internetpimp

Understanding that the throttle has dual position feedback sensors, from what it looks like to me, the ECM may have a malfunction on one of the 2 inputs that that these sensors plug into. With the Connector 2(has the throttle position feedback signals) disconnected from the ECM, and just measuring at the ECM pins, I have 0V at the input pin for the first signal, and 4.2 - 4.4V fluctuating on the input pin for the 2nd signal. I would assume, that with nothing connected here, they should both read 0V as there is a pulldown resistor on each of these inputs (I just measured both of these pull down resistances, both look good at 220K OHMS). It seems as if the 2nd input circuit may be defective somehow within the ECM. I'm not quite sure what else could cause this signal input to have voltage on it already, with no device connected to this pin. My assumption is that due to this voltage already being present on the 2nd input signal, "Reduced Engine Power" is present due to the difference in voltage between the two inputs(I assume they should always be pretty close to the same voltage).

I would have already taken the vehicle to Autozone to have the codes read, but the car is currently uninsured, and not registered. I have tried to read the codes with my 2 code readers, both with no codes being returned for some strange reason.

I understand that retrieving the codes is the best place to start with an issue such as this. Unfortunately I have not had any success retrieving the codes so far myself, and having Autozone try their scan tool is currently not an option as the car is not currently legal to drive on the roads yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Dud you review the descriptions of how the two throttle position sensors work in opposite directions, one at 5v while the other at zero? As throttle is moved, each sensor goes in the opposite direction - the 5v sensor reduces voltage output while the other sensor increases voltage with each feeding output to the ecm. It may help to measure those sensors connected to the ecm and use a multimeter to observe voltage changes before concluding a faulty ecm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
internetpimp

Oh wow, so I was actually way off assuming that both sensors were supposed to supply the same voltages back to the ECM. This gives me a great deal of information on where to start looking at now. As you suggested, I'm going to inspect the throttle position sensors. TYVM! I appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
internetpimp

fdryer, I just noticed that your attachment explained how the throttle signals respond. Please forgive my ignorance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Lol, nothing to forgive. Attached Thumbnail should read Click Attached Thumbnail

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
internetpimp

Update:

So as I was checking the resistances on the TP sensor signals, I came across a resistance reading of almost 7M Ohms from the "5V reference 1" to the "TP Sensor 1 Signal" wires, and did not change even when I manually opened and closed the butterfly valve. So, I started wiggling around some wires at the connector and magically the resistance started changing to some values that actually made sense, and fluctuated when I manually open/close the valve.

So, it looks like I may have a bad connection or perhaps a broken wire at the TAC module connector. I'm taking a break for lunch right now. I will further update later on. Hopefully this was what was causing the "Reduced Engine Power" issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are two service bulletins related to reduced power issues. PM me an email address and I'll send them (each file is too large to attach here).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
internetpimp

It looks like I found a bad section of wire on the "5V reference" for signal 1. There is a tight bend for these throttle position wires where the bad section is. When I straighten the bend, I get good readings. When they are put back at the roughly 90 degree bend, I get bad readings on this wire(extremely high resistance).

So, to tackle this issue, would you guys recommend that I replace the entire harness? Or just cut out the bad section of wire and solder in a new wire in that section? Or perhaps something else? Obviously the latter would be much easier, but I'm not really keen on "Jury rigging" things just to get them running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You found the problem and can repair the damage as it isn't considered jury rigging when a repair results in correcting an intermittent reduced power problem. One of the service bulletins explains extending the wire harness. Email sent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!