SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
brayton.colton
brayton.colton is on a distinguished road

Question Muffler Deleter or Something To Make My Vue Loud

Hi! Wondering if thereís anyway just to make my Vue loud by removing the muffler and if so how do I do this? Iím not looking to spend money though so just a dumb modification and hoping itís just a few bolts and Iím good! Haha!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brayton.colton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brayton.colton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brayton.colton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Muffler Deleter or Something To Make My Vue Loud

Hacksaw, sawsall, plasma cutter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
brayton.colton

Now what are the disbenefits of doing this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brayton.colton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Sounds like a ricer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Most NA engines require some resistance in the exhaust for optimum performance. Take out that resistance and you'll kill the efficiency of the engine.

Dropped the pipe after the cat on a V6 once. Sounded neat. Had about half the horsepower and half the MPG's too though. (Well, maybe not half. The butt dyno said it was slow as hell, and MPG's did indeed plummet. Ended up putting a magnaflow on it, since that almost sounded the same, but without the loss of performance and efficiency.)
It's better to get an exhaust system designed for it.

If you just want the noise, and don't give a crap about spending the money on gas instead of a decent exhaust, go for it.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Before cutting your exhaust for the "cheap" fix try this.... Debong VUE to get a bit different sound....

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #7
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
Most NA engines require some resistance in the exhaust for optimum performance. Take out that resistance and you'll kill the efficiency of the engine.
This is a myth.

On the exhaust stroke the pistons must push the exhaust gasses out of the engine. How can adding more resistance possibly improve efficiency.

Why do you think that in every motorsport in existence, the cars all use straight exhausts unless there are noise limits in the regulations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
brayton.colton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacconist View Post
This is a myth.

On the exhaust stroke the pistons must push the exhaust gasses out of the engine. How can adding more resistance possibly improve efficiency.

Why do you think that in every motorsport in existence, the cars all use straight exhausts unless there are noise limits in the regulations.
True true and true. Now will it truest cut the MOG and HP in half? I get about 230 miles per tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #9
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobacconist View Post
This is a myth.

Actually NOT a myth (at least for a street engine). Everything in the "tune" of a modern street engine is designed around everything else. Unless you know how to program the ECM to compensate properly it does change things (for the bad) re performance and economy.
Now if all the OP wants is to "sound like a giant fart" yeah go for it, have fun. I am sure if he does he'll write back telling us how he magically has 1000 hp, and gets 50 MPG

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
Tobacconist

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Actually NOT a myth (at least for a street engine). Everything in the "tune" of a modern street engine is designed around everything else. Unless you know how to program the ECM to compensate properly it does change things (for the bad) re performance and economy.
Now if all the OP wants is to "sound like a giant fart" yeah go for it, have fun. I am sure if he does he'll write back telling us how he magically has 1000 hp, and gets 50 MPG
I think every manufacturer of performance exhaust systems and headers would tell you otherwise and test results would confirm this.

If you don't believe me, you can find literally hundreds of videos on YouTube of people doing both before and after exhaust installation dynomometer testing. I have yet to hear of a car that actually lost power or required a PCM tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #11
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Of course they tell you different they have a vested interest to. I have seen just as many on a dyno do exactly what is the opposite too, besides the OP wants to cut his off completely. Performance systems (if made correctly) do a very good job of balancing necessary back pressure with just enough free flow to allow for a little more sound and just enough flow to satisfy the needs of the ECU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
Tobacconist

Quote:
Of course they tell you different they have a vested interest to.
Objective evidence says you're wrong.

I did a before and after test on my C5 and I gained 40 RWHP with headers and exhaust.

Quote:
I have seen just as many on a dyno do exactly what is the opposite too,
I would be interested to see these test results if you can provide them.

Quote:
Performance systems (if made correctly) do a very good job of balancing necessary back pressure with just enough free flow to allow for a little more sound and just enough flow to satisfy the needs of the ECU
I have some experience with HPTuners. I am not aware of any data in the PCM monitoring of exhaust pressure.

You should tell F1, Nascar and Le Mans teams to start using mufflers. Clearly they have no idea what they are doing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayton.colton View Post
You become the beta tester since no one can tell you what's going to occur to your Vue. With two opposing comments, one stating more power with another stating loss of power, you're the only one to find out.

In addition to atikovi's suggestion for muffler removal, you may have to determine where to cut off the muffler. In the event you find the muffler delete wrong, putting the muffler back on may be as simple as buying a piece of pipe to slip over the two ends with a pair of pipe clamps to connect things back to original. Refitting for a different muffler is another alternative if you want a slightly louder sound but less than loud without a muffler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayton.colton View Post
The adults in your neighborhood will despise you for ruining the peace and quiet with your (illegally - if driven on the street) modified vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #15
underthehood
Master Member

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Noise does not = performance. But than hard to tell this to every dip wad with a fart can. Number of years ago I used to drove a Suburban with a Vortec 5.7 and 4wd. This was a 3 ton rig. Was pulling my boat and some kid with fart can tried to get in front of me on those merge type lanes off a light. He had it all. Lowered, big tires, stick shift, fart can, you name it. He sure got a surprise wen that big rig dusted his noisy *****
Funny he knew it too because he kept telling me I was number 1
I'll bet if he had left that car alone and drove it right he would have dusted ME even if I didn't have the boat in tow.
Did this again recently with my 4 cyl Highlander.
Performance does NOT have to be loud (especially STREET performance)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!