SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Wyattgc
Wyattgc has a spectacular aura aboutWyattgc has a spectacular aura aboutWyattgc has a spectacular aura about

Default Coolant coming out of resivour Cap

2002 sl2 with 94k miles. I've replaced the cap and resivour, water pump, radiator, hoses so far. I dont see any oil in the coolant. It doesn't get hot hot when this happens but about halfway on the temp gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wyattgc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wyattgc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wyattgc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Coolant coming out of resivour Cap

What type coolant are you using, and what mix ratio? Should be 60% coolant and 40% distilled water for best coverage.
Was the replacement cap new, or used, and threaded on tight?
Any thermostat work done recently?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Wyattgc
Wyattgc has a spectacular aura aboutWyattgc has a spectacular aura aboutWyattgc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
What type coolant are you using, and what mix ratio? Should be 60% coolant and 40% distilled water for best coverage.
Was the replacement cap new, or used, and threaded on tight?
Any thermostat work done recently?
I've been using 50/50, I'll up it and see if it helps. I replaced the thermostat today with no results. The cap resivour is brand new and tightened down good. Maybe I just got a lemon cap? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Wyattgc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was the cooling system flushed thoroughly after repairs, refilled with coolant and either engine run at idle for 10-20 minutes with cap off to allow all air to purge before capping then car driven around the block and coolant level checked again for any more air in the system (coolant level dropping)? Can you see coolant returning to the surge tank with cap off? Coolant always circulates thru the heater core whether heat is needed or not so coolant is pumped thru and returns to the surge tank whether the engine is cold or hot.

It does not matter whether a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of coolant is used. Every owner's manual instructs a simple 50/50 mix that's been used for decades. The recommendation to use 60/40 is more fear mongering than useful info since no has documented actual temperature benefits between the two mixtures whether in hot/humid weather or subfreezing winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
Wyattgc

I "bled" the system with the cap off for at least half an hour. Letting it bubble fairly hard. Come to think of it the fan never did kick on by itself regardless of temp. Always had to turn on the ac then the coolant level would drop and it would stop bubbling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Your coolant starter bubbling? What did the needle show on the temp gauge while this was happening?

Edit: by bubbleing do you mean because if air or because of boiling?

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.
1997 SL2, 107K miles ~ My first car, trying to make it count

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Wyattgc

It starts when the temp gauge is a hair below half way. And it's a pretty hard bubbling so I think boiling not air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

With a proper (or at least somewhat decent) mix of coolant and distilled water, boiling shouldn't be happening until the needle is at least into the red. You could always try sticking a meat thermometer in the reservoir tank as the car warms up to see what temp it's getting to. Water will boil at 212, a good antifreeze mix will boil somewhere near 260, and a bad antifreeze mix will be somewhere in between. To me it seems like you either have a bad antifreeze mix or a bad ects, or maybe both

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.

Last edited by Zeebins; 05-04-2018 at 08:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
Wyattgc

I have a new etcs coming today, I'll up the coolant ratio as well and let you know if it helps. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Use an inexpensive meat/candy thermometer to end all this guessing about boiling vs. bubbling and what temp the fan comes on at. I think you are headed towards doing a "block test" to see if there is a head gasket leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Zeebins

1997 SL2

If you want, you can pick one of these things from your local hardware store or autozone to actually tell you what your boiling point/ freezing point of your mix is. They're pretty cheap and are nice to have when you're mixing your own coolant. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Deluxe-An.../dp/B00YEZILQC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Wyattgc

If it was a head gasket wouldn't it bubble when cold too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Instead of second guessing about the coolant sensor and never knowing if the original coolant sensor is nothing more than a distraction as well as going on hearsay about 60/40 coolant mixtures bordering on witchcraft concoctions, use a reader. Any reader that can display actual coolant temps. Just one caveat.

If you truly suspect a coolant sensor fault then let's go on this assumption and use a reader to display pcm interpretation of coolant sensor info. Baseline start is to read coolant temps with a cold engine, ambient temperature. Reading coolant temperature with a cold engine should display close to ambient temperature, give or take a few degrees compared to outside temps. With this baseline data, startup and drive to let the engine warm up. Take another reading. Normal operating temperatures are between 185F-200F. If your reader displays a temperature within this range then your coolant sensor is operating as designed. No second guessing. Using a reader can correlate where the temperature gauge needle sits as you compare reader display of temperatures against needle position. If you still suspect the coolant sensor, replace it and record new measurements the same way. Second guessing can be an expensive experiment and waste time and effort when there are easier ways to diagnose car problems without spending money. If you don't have a reader then this may be a good time to invest in one without spending too much on a reader than can work on every car made since 1996. A bluetooth adapter and Torque for cellphones seems to be the lowest cost reader from several members using it with satisfaction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Come on, really, calling a mix change .. witchcraft?

From what I read, a mix of 40% antifreeze and 60% water provides freeze-up protection down to -10F and boil over protection up to 259F. In comparison, a mix of 70% antifreeze and 30% water provides freeze-up protection down to -62F and boil over protection up to 270F.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All well and good but where are the third party documented proof of 60/40 coolant mix any better than what's listed on the back of most name brand coolant? Unless someone has measured actual coolant temps by actually taking the time to measure coolant temps with a 50/50 mix in a perfectly good running vehicle then dumped it to refill with a 60/40 mix and ran the same tests, it's all hearsay. Hearsay is as good as witchcraft.

With my personal choice and mostly convenience, my L300 uses less than two gallons of coolant. After a flush to prep for new coolant, all I do instead of measuring out a 50/50 mixture is dump in a gallon of Dexcool (Yes, Dexcool) and top off with plain water or if I have distilled lying around, that. Yes it's about as close to 50/50 or 55/45 or some other ratio. The car doesn't care as long as it doesn't over heat or tell me with the temperature needle moving higher than it has in the past. I also back up temperature gauge needle position with scan tool temperature numbers. No difference whether I use 50/50 or some other ratio. The thermostat doesn't care as all it does is sense whatever temps make it open and open, regardless of coolant mixture. All the hearsay is just that. If the antifreeze manufacturers wants everyone to use 60/40 and car manufacturers agrees then I would alter my position. The antifreeze and car manufacturers seem to have a good relationship so why go beyond recommendations must because hearsay in these forums say so? My guess is years of experience from antifreeze and car companies stack up against hearsay. For 99% of most daily drivers not racing their cars on closed tracks or auto crossing, the 50/50 mixture is fine. If less than two gallons of coolant make up a cooling system, dumpling a full gallon of antifreeze and topping off with water works just as well without becoming engrossed with hyperbole.

By the way, no one seems to discuss at length antifreeze was made to lower freezing points while raising boiling points. Both are the extremes and usually not met in cooling systems in good condition. That implies the majority of cooling systems in good condition won't overheat or freeze since the operating range of 50/50 coolant won't freeze below -35F or boil above 213F. Pressurized cooling systems raise boiling points from 213F to around 265F. This covers virtually every vehicle. Since most vehicles turn on cooling fans at around 225F, this avoids overheating in hot summer months, especially when ac is used in stop and go traffic when coolant temps rise but won't boil as long as the cooling fan turns on and blows air thru two radiators - the ac condenser coil (hot) and radiator (hot). I just turned on my ac today and was rewarded with cold air while the car doesn't overheat. My car doesn't care what coolant mixture I give it as long as the cooling system holds pressure, the cap holds pressure, coolant isn't leaking (implying a pressure leak somewhere) and cooling fans turn on and blows air.

When a) a cooling system leaks, b) doesn't hold pressure, c) is fouled by sealer or severe corrosion from lack of cooling system flush every time antifreeze is replaced, d) a pressure cap fails to hold pressure or e)the cooling fan fails to forcefully blow or suck air thru two radiators, no amount of raising coolant mixtures will prevent a boil over.

Last edited by fdryer; 05-04-2018 at 03:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
With a proper (or at least somewhat decent) mix of coolant and distilled water, boiling shouldn't be happening until the needle is at least into the red. You could always try sticking a meat thermometer in the reservoir tank as the car warms up to see what temp it's getting to. Water will boil at 212, a good antifreeze mix will boil somewhere near 260, and a bad antifreeze mix will be somewhere in between. To me it seems like you either have a bad antifreeze mix or a bad ects, or maybe both
Wrong. That will only be true IF there is pressure in the system. If the cap is off NO PRESSURE in the system and yes the coolant can bubble out. However the OPs issue may be a bad head gasket, cracked head, poor job bleeding and or wrong coolant mix (less than 50/50), or a faulty ECTS not properly controlling the fan

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Wrong. That will only be true IF there is pressure in the system. If the cap is off NO PRESSURE in the system and yes the coolant can bubble out. However the OPs issue may be a bad head gasket, cracked head, poor job bleeding and or wrong coolant mix (less than 50/50), or a faulty ECTS not properly controlling the fan
That's true, I forgot that a pressurized system raises the boiling point, not just the antifreeze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

I recently had this problem come up; I've concluded, for the most part, it's just air in the system. When I fill with coolant the first time, I usually squeeze the heater hoses to try to flush it in the system as best as possible. No matter what you do, there's always going to be some air in it that has to work it's way out when you start driving and making the car do in different directions and so forth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Good point. In addition to this, the surge tank is the highest point in the cooling system so purging usually occurs automatically (on level ground) with system air working its way around until it enters the surge tank. Some have mentioned helping things along by having their car on a slight incline where the front end is a little higher. Usually when a cooling system is known to be free of crud, corrosion and not contaminated from sealer, air from normal drain and flush procedures purge as soon as the engine is filled and started with the coolant cap off as air bubbles up while coolant level drops almost immediately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #20
Wyattgc

Thank you everyone for your help. Got off work, changed the ects and upped coolant:water ratio. Still leaking. Rented a pressure gauge, hooked it up and it was reading perfect. Then it dawned on me if it wasnt bubbling out with the pressure gauge hooked up the cap must be shot. Went and bought a new one and it worked perfectly!

Just because a part is new like that cap I guess doesn't mean it works!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!