SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #41
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: Car prep after sitting a year or so?

That doesn't look so great, but people buy S Series cars that don't look great all the time. If it runs and drives decent (assuming a steering wheel is to be installed) you never know who might pick it up for a parts car or project.

If it starts and runs decent, there is someone who will pay for it. Just like with the S Series cars, there are people that buy and fix certain brands all the time. And even in beat up condition, there are people that would drive a beat up "premium brand" before paying less money for many cars that are in fact much better deals.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #42
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
That doesn't look so great, but people buy S Series cars that don't look great all the time. If it runs and drives decent (assuming a steering wheel is to be installed) you never know who might pick it up for a parts car or project.

If it starts and runs decent, there is someone who will pay for it. Just like with the S Series cars, there are people that buy and fix certain brands all the time. And even in beat up condition, there are people that would drive a beat up "premium brand" before paying less money for many cars that are in fact much better deals.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. That's what we're hoping for---for some young guy who maybe has one of these at home, to buy it for parts, especially the good engine.
Any idea of how to advertise this or what price to ask? I'm going to be putting an add in our local Craigslist and neighborhood, online site and our local Auto Trader. Any thoughts? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #43
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Agree with Signmaster, the roundel and those three letters, BMW, still gets respect.

Edmund's used to have a "true value" estimator, where you could put in miles, condition, accessories, etc., and come up with a retail, private sale, and trade in value. I always thought it came fairly close. . . IMO, was better than KBB and some of the others.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #44
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Agree with Signmaster, the roundel and those three letters, BMW, still gets respect.

Edmund's used to have a "true value" estimator, where you could put in miles, condition, accessories, etc., and come up with a retail, private sale, and trade in value. I always thought it came fairly close. . . IMO, was better than KBB and some of the others.
Will give it a try but just recently I found a newer model that was looking pretty good in the pics, inside and out and running, etc. and even though it was about 3 years newer, they were only asking $1000. So, don't know what this "engine" will bring. Maybe advertise in Auto Trader for "best offer".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #45
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Thank you for the words of encouragement. That's what we're hoping for---for some young guy who maybe has one of these at home, to buy it for parts, especially the good engine.
Any idea of how to advertise this or what price to ask? I'm going to be putting an add in our local Craigslist and neighborhood, online site and our local Auto Trader. Any thoughts? Thank you.
I'm a firm supporter of truth in advertising when getting rid of vehicles. That said, I often opt for a reasonable price to sell quick as I don't want a bunch of tire kickers wasting my time. So I'm really not the guy to be asking unless you want to sell it quick and cheap.

I'd just talk with the owner and pick a price based on the local market and where the two of you are with comfort level on showing the car to people. If she's got time on her hands to hold out for top dollar, list it for higher and leave some haggle room. If quick money is more the goal, knock the price down and take the quick money.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #46
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I'm a firm supporter of truth in advertising when getting rid of vehicles. That said, I often opt for a reasonable price to sell quick as I don't want a bunch of tire kickers wasting my time. So I'm really not the guy to be asking unless you want to sell it quick and cheap.

I'd just talk with the owner and pick a price based on the local market and where the two of you are with comfort level on showing the car to people. If she's got time on her hands to hold out for top dollar, list it for higher and leave some haggle room. If quick money is more the goal, knock the price down and take the quick money.
Thank you for that advice, Signmaster. The owner wants to get rid of the car but doesn't want to have it scrapped, simply because of the waste. Her phylosophy is "why crush it when there is still good life in the engine." I agree but she needs the money so I hope she can get a decent price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #47
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
For the heck of it I called the junk yard to see how much they'd pay for a "running car". They'd pick it up for $195. We're going to still try to find some kid who is looking for a good engine, etc. Battery is no good. Going to the junk yard tomorrow for a replacement. Besides the physical size of the battery, is there anything else I would have to specify, when choosing a used junk yard battery for that BMW 318 Ti? Thanks!
You should probably call AutoZone, or another FLAPS and see what the stock CCA rating is.

Physical size DOES make a difference, with wet cell batteries, and the cranking amps affects the starting process. Too little amps and you will have problems in cold weather. Too many amps and you fry the starter motor prematurely.

And I know where the starter is located on that boat anchor engine. There is a very good reason I have never, and prefer to never ever actually own(let alone ever be caught dead actually driving one) BMWs.......

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #48
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Got a really good look at this car. Well, the battery is no good so I'm going to take a trip to my local pick and pull and get a used one, just so we can start the car to show a prospective buyer that it does run and the engine is actually good. Don't know what kind of mileage is on the car yet because, no battery, but, after sitting in the car and looking around, it's not worth putting any time or money into it, in expectation of realizing more money if sold. (Please refer to pics) The day is rainy ---- believe it or not, in San Diego---so the pics don't actually show the clear coat damage but it's there.
Weeks ago, a thief broke into it and literally ripped out the radio as you can see, pulled down the sun roof plastic control plate and broke it, the steering column is all apart but the current owner says that she will be able to start it, even though all is hanging. The headliner is hanging, the plastic headliner support rail tabs are broken, the bucket seats are ripped, etc. I've actually seen better at the pick and pull! So, trying to make it look more presentable is a lesson in futility and I'm sure all she can sell it for is the engine??? What do you car people think, please? I know the estimated valve, if sellable and in poor but drivable condition is between $500 to $1500 but that's if it were even drivable. Would some of you take a look at the pics and give me some kind of idea of value, for the engine alone----? She told me that it runs really well and she does have many, many service maintenance records. The "buyer" would be able to start it up to make sure it ran, but that's about all, would have to be towed away. Also, how should I advertise this car----for engine only? A "handiman's dream"? Loads of work needed but a great engine? And what kind of price should I advertise it for, for her??? Thank you all for your time and information.
Is the neighbor's photo ID matching the name of the registered owner, to this vehicle?

Kinda strange that somebody would take the time to remove the steering column, the upper door pillar trim panel and sunroof controls, just to steal the radio(as opposed to the more obvious attempt at stealing the entire car and driving it with pliers).

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #49
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Is the neighbor's photo ID matching the name of the registered owner, to this vehicle?

Kinda strange that somebody would take the time to remove the steering column, the upper door pillar trim panel and sunroof controls, just to steal the radio(as opposed to the more obvious attempt at stealing the entire car and driving it with pliers).
The battery specs between the "old" and "new" battery were very close. It is a high powered battery and I'm assuming that that car needed it. The little difference between specs shouldn't mean much, it was that close.
Actually, the car key cylinder on the steering column went bad and all that was removed in the past by the owner. And they left the steering wheel untightened because they knew that it had to come back off, if fixed. We suspect that the guy who broke into the car ripped down the plastic parts inside the car, looking for a "stash" of drugs. Will work on it tomorrow and possibly start it. Still have to locate the PCM B fuse on this car. Hope it's labeled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #50
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Connect up the battery, negative terminal last. Let it sit for 3 - 5 minutes. Then disconnect the negative terminal for 3 minutes and then reconnect. That will do the same thing as looking for a fuse in a german fuse box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #51
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Connect up the battery, negative terminal last. Let it sit for 3 - 5 minutes. Then disconnect the negative terminal for 3 minutes and then reconnect. That will do the same thing as looking for a fuse in a german fuse box.
From past post-----"Remove plugs and add a squirt of oil in each cylinder and then crank over engine with plugs out, clean up any mess. Fully charge or replace battery. Now with plugs still out prime the oil system by cranking engine until oil light goes off. Be sure to pull the PCM B fuse or BMW equivalent before cranking engine with plugs out so fuel and spark are disabled."
So, while doing all the above, should I just have the positive terminal connected and not the negative??? And after that process, connect the neg. terminal too and start the car as normal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #52
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you crank over the engine with the plugs out that should get the oil system primed as you are changing the filter and filling the canister. Finding the PCM fuse is an undertaking and as those are the german style fuses, touching them can render them an invisible open circuit. Just make do with what you got. Oil the cylinders and put in plugs, connect wires and hope it starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #53
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
When you crank over the engine with the plugs out that should get the oil system primed as you are changing the filter and filling the canister. Finding the PCM fuse is an undertaking and as those are the german style fuses, touching them can render them an invisible open circuit. Just make do with what you got. Oil the cylinders and put in plugs, connect wires and hope it starts.
So, how long do I crank the engine with the plugs out, a couple of seconds? Then reinstall the plugs and go for a full start?
Oh, also, with the new oil filter are two, different sizes washers and one very small rubber O-ring. I would probably find that all these or at least one of the metal washers or the small, dime-sized washer goes on the oil plug?? I'll be careful to watch the old oil filter too for ones that look like these three washers.

Last edited by JerryHughes; 02-28-2018 at 10:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #54
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

BMW 318 TI forums; http://www.318ti.org/index.php

I'm sure you can find all the info on a BMW site. I found their fuse box with peculiar fuses but looking closer reveals exposed elements for easy troubleshooting. I spent a few minutes with Google and it appears this model may not have a fuse diagram (cover, owner's manual?) with a BMW member having to ask a BMW dealer tech. The tech brought out a paper diagram of fuse descriptions.... BMW forums may get you all the help to answer your questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #55
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
BMW 318 TI forums; http://www.318ti.org/index.php

I'm sure you can find all the info on a BMW site. I found their fuse box with peculiar fuses but looking closer reveals exposed elements for easy troubleshooting. I spent a few minutes with Google and it appears this model may not have a fuse diagram (cover, owner's manual?) with a BMW member having to ask a BMW dealer tech. The tech brought out a paper diagram of fuse descriptions.... BMW forums may get you all the help to answer your questions.
Thanks, fdryer, I won't be able to go out there until later today but will see what is labeled in the box. Thank you.
Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #56
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
So, how long do I crank the engine with the plugs out, a couple of seconds? Then reinstall the plugs and go for a full start?
Oh, also, with the new oil filter are two, different sizes washers and one very small rubber O-ring. I would probably find that all these or at least one of the metal washers or the small, dime-sized washer goes on the oil plug?? I'll be careful to watch the old oil filter too for ones that look like these three washers.
If you touch those fuses you will end up cleaning all of them and the fuse box clips. The car has sat too long. And they may be a problem already. Spin it over for 10-15 seconds with the plugs out.

There is usually a seal on the cover center bolt if it is that type or a big orng on the cover and a washer on the bottom of the filter and the top. They are not all the same. You might find something on the other forum as to oil change and filter headaches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #57
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Okay, starting the oil drain but want to be sure of the right pan. Anyone know which is the oil pan? The other, tranny??? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.JPG (128.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.JPG (117.2 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

One is under the engine and the other is under the trans. I can not tell as you are in to tight with the pix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #59
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

The "ribbed" pan is located between the two front tires and the other pan is about 1 1/2 feet further toward the back of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1903.jpg (89.0 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #60
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Okay, finally found a pic of the oil pan from a BMW so I am glad I waited because the surface is not ribbed as the one in the previous pictures. I'll look tomorrow for a pan that looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pan.JPG (122.9 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!