SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Joemag
Joemag is on a distinguished road

Default Trunk Side Panel Removal 2008 Saturn Vue

I am trying to remove the rear side panels to open up the wiring area behind the tail-light so I can add a wiring harness to tow my Vue. I had a 2007 and most of the floor panels and side panels had screws that allowed you to take them off. This 2008 has one bolt at the lift gate door edge and 3 bolts that hold the rear cargo net slide, but when I remove those nothing loosens up and I'm afraid to pry on it for fear of breaking it.

The same applies to the floor trim along the driver and passenger doors. There are no screws showing and i don't know how to pull them up to allow me to run wiring to the front of the car.

If anyone can give me some tips, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joemag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joemag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joemag is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Trunk Side Panel Removal 2008 Saturn Vue

Have you looked inside the rear fender/pulled off any skirts in the area( if any)? NOt saying this is correct path, but it's worth a look.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Joemag
Joemag is on a distinguished road

No, I haven't tried that. When I pulled off the tail-lights, the wiring harness goes straight through the upper part of the body that is the back of the tail-light cavity. That area seems to be the area that is covered by the side panel in the trunk area which is higher than the wheel-well.

I have since found a youtube video online that talks about adding a trailer wiring plug to a 2009 Vue. It looks pretty close to what my 2008 looks like and they take a lower inside side panel off and a kind of plastic bucket out to expose the tail-light wiring. I'm going to try to try that tomorrow and see if I have any luck.

I couldn't find anything about removing the floor trim to get the wiring to the front of the vehicle though. There aren't any visable screws so I know it must be held in by clips of some kind... I just don't know the proper prying proceedure and I don't want to break anything that might be impossible to replace.

I appreciate your reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joemag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joemag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joemag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
tlgpe43
tlgpe43 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.2L

Did you have any luck with that? I need to do the exact same job, so any hints will help...............

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tlgpe43's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tlgpe43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tlgpe43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgpe43 View Post
Did you have any luck with that? I need to do the exact same job, so any hints will help...............

Tom
I happened upon this thread ... I have service manual extracts to remove rear side panel and front door sill plate / carpet retainer.

The files are too large to post but I can email - left click on my screen name to create private message and send address if interested.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

I looked for pictures on my hard drive of when I installed my 2 inch receiver and couldn't find them.
To let you know, I ran the battery wires from the rear to under the hood battery 'under the car'...using tie wraps tucked well away from the bottom of the frame rails and away from the exhaust.
You can use ramps...first place ramps behind rear wheels and drive it up to get rear of car in air. Crawl under there and route the first rear half of the wire. Then...place ramps under front wheels and finish the wire routing up to the front and into the engine bay where the battery is.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
tlgpe43

2008 VUE 2.2L

The BLUE OX BX8847 wiring kit has the wires, connectors, diodes, etc. for the job, and most importantly, has a PDF file that tells how to route it and wire it without taking that panel off.

If you look at the BLUE OX site, they have the PDF available for download. I just did that and it looks workable, so I bought the kit.

I can post the results when I finish if anyone wants it.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tlgpe43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
tlgpe43

2008 VUE 2.2L

UPDATE!

I got the Blue OX instructions, and they are for the cars, not for the VUE. After doing all kinds of stupid things, I discovered that it's embarrassing easy.

In the trunk area, there are two deep wells back near the taillights. Just look deep down in there and you will see a very large plastic bolt head. Use a flat blade screw driver to take the bolt out. That "well" is a separate piece that clips into the interior fender. Pry that out and the wires for the tail lights are right in front of you. Too easy for words................

Just run the new wires under the plastic panels that hold the carpet down until you get to the back seat. If you take out the spare tire stuff, the wires can go under the interior fender to the tail lights.

I think that's all I know. I may have sprained my brain.................maybe I need an MRI.

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!