SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
mjmi11er
mjmi11er is on a distinguished road

Default rearview mirror removal

anyone know how to remove the rearview mirror from a 2008 vue with rain sensing wipers? getting ready to replace my windshield due to a crack and would like to remove the rearview myself so the glass people don't damage it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjmi11er's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjmi11er reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjmi11er is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
gmsuv
gmsuv will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: rearview mirror removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmi11er View Post
anyone know how to remove the rearview mirror from a 2008 vue with rain sensing wipers? getting ready to replace my windshield due to a crack and would like to remove the rearview myself so the glass people don't damage it.
Just one screw to remove it. Loosen it and slide the mirror upward. Oh and don't forget to disconnect the wire harness. To remove the wire harness cover just pinch the sides and pull it off.

Last edited by gmsuv; 03-21-2013 at 08:09 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmsuv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Why do you think someone that removes and replaces rear view mirrors day in, day out, perhaps hundreds a year would damage it? Did you have it happen before?

Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
mjmi11er

sweepspear, yeah, i have had them damage a car before.

had a vw gti and had the windshield replaced... before they put the new window in they put too much black caulk/glue around the edge and when the new window was installed the glue oozed onto two interior panels of the car staining the fabric. at the same time they cracked the plastic windshield cowl.

a replaced cowl was ordered... twice. because when they tried to install the first replacement, they broke that one too. the final one i took from them and went home and installed myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mjmi11er reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
mjmi11er

gmsuv, definately not seeing a screw.

i did get the outermost U shaped plastic housing off. by taking that off it exposes the sensor wire. looking pretty straightforward how to undo the clip.

above that clip on the windshield though, is where the mirror is attached. looks just like a smooth plastic housing... no screw seen. i assume then that the plastic housing covering the screw needs to be removed. can you explain how to get to the screw so i don't break any of the pieces covering it please?

i do have a diagram from the gmspo program, pulling up a picture of the front windshield and rearview mirror. it's diagram ZL10-104. i assume based on that diagram what i need to remove is part 4, but have no idea how to do it (slide it a certain direction, pry it off, etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
gmsuv, definately not seeing a screw.

i did get the outermost U shaped plastic housing off. by taking that off it exposes the sensor wire. looking pretty straightforward how to undo the clip.

above that clip on the windshield though, is where the mirror is attached. looks just like a smooth plastic housing... no screw seen. i assume then that the plastic housing covering the screw needs to be removed. can you explain how to get to the screw so i don't break any of the pieces covering it please?

i do have a diagram from the gmspo program, pulling up a picture of the front windshield and rearview mirror. it's diagram ZL10-104. i assume based on that diagram what i need to remove is part 4, but have no idea how to do it (slide it a certain direction, pry it off, etc).
Do you have the attached illustration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside RVM R2.jpg (104.6 KB, 61 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
mtbrider
mtbrider has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider has a spectacular aura about

^^^ Is there a link that you can gain access to the information you posted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtbrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtbrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
mjmi11er

far2grumpy, have a similar pic, but not that one. and definately didn't have that step by step. i'll give it a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
mjmi11er

far2grumpy, that's such a great diagram i was wondering if you have one for the exterior of the windshield as well... there are rubber/plastic pieces that come off the windshield cowl in the lower exterior corners of the window, they transition to the side frames of the window. it looks like those need to be removed to get the window out.

would you happen to have a diagram as to how to remove those?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
far2grumpy, that's such a great diagram i was wondering if you have one for the exterior of the windshield as well... there are rubber/plastic pieces that come off the windshield cowl in the lower exterior corners of the window, they transition to the side frames of the window. it looks like those need to be removed to get the window out.

would you happen to have a diagram as to how to remove those?
I've bought several GM service manual DVD's from eBay vendors thru the years.

See the attached extract to replace windshield - I don't see the rubber/plastic pieces but could be looking at wrong vehicle.

I've also attached other windshield related files but file to remove air intake grill exceeds posting limits - use PM to shoot me an email if you need that one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Wndshld R2.pdf (111.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Wndshld Reveal R2.pdf (83.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Wndshld Wpr Arms R2.pdf (73.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - Wndshld Plr Grnsh Mld R2.pdf (81.3 KB, 7 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
mjmi11er

far2grumpy, PM with personel email sent for the large file you referenced.

the piece i'm looking to remove is at the tip of the pass side wiper blade on the third file you posted.

thanks for all your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
mjmi11er

so safelite showed up and removed the mirror, i couldn't figure it out. they did mess up a little plastic cover but it's too easy to get a new one of those this week from the dealer.

unfortunately safelite will be back next week though... as they showed up with the wrong glass.

sweepspear, what are your thoughts on that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
mjmi11er

sweepspear, no response? it gets better, they showed up the second time to replace the glass, this time with the wrong glass all together.

so next weekend they are going to attempt visit 4 (once to try and fix the crack, and will be 3 visits to replace the glass)! sweepspear, you sure they do this for a living? if i ran a business like that i'd be bankrupt... maybe that explains america.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
sweepspear, no response? it gets better, they showed up the second time to replace the glass, this time with the wrong glass all together.
so next weekend they are going to attempt visit 4 (once to try and fix the crack, and will be 3 visits to replace the glass)! sweepspear, you sure they do this for a living? if i ran a business like that i'd be bankrupt... maybe that explains america.
That's strange. I tapped out a reply using my smartphone one night, but apparently I wasn't smart enough to get it to post.

Basically, my response was that I can understand your apprehension after having those experiences.
From the sounds of it, I have been lucky. Perhaps I shouldn't feel so confident if I need glass replaced in the future.
Dang, how hard is it to show up with the right glass? Three times wrong?!?
I think I would now stand there and supervise.

Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss

Last edited by Sweepspear; 04-01-2013 at 11:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
mjmi11er

sweepspear, visit 4 today (once for crack repair that couldn't be resolved, and three now for glass replacement).

showed up for the third time with the wrong glass... when will it end?

i have to run some errands today, so i'll swing by the gm dealer and get a corretc part number... you would think they could get the right part yes? we'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!