SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 02:50 PM   #1
Mike

Default Question

My girlfriend bought a 97 SL2 about 2 months ago. I keep hearing this ticking sound whenever you push on the gas pedal. It doens't happen at idle and it happens even when light pressure(car doesn't move).. I haven't been able to hear it outside the car and cant firgure out what the noise is.
It kind of sounds electrical to me.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Mike

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2000, 06:24 PM   #2
Randman
Randman is on a distinguished road

Maybe the speedo?
Old 11-23-2000, 07:36 AM   #3
Three Rings
Three Rings is on a distinguished road

It makes the sound even if the car is not moving, correct? What RPM range does it do it? My '97 SL2 makes a ticking sound from about 1400 to 1900 RPM. My daughter's '97 does the same thing but nowhere near as loud as mine. It's not extremely loud, you have to have the radio off to hear it at all. I have not been able to find what it is either, my best guess is maybe an emissions solonoid?? I think there is a solonoid on the fuel vapor cannister.
Old 11-23-2000, 10:47 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

From where does the sound seem to be coming from? What RPM is the engine at when it happens? There a alot of different noises that can happen in the Saturns but many can be traced down via the RPM and where they seem to be coming from.
Old 11-27-2000, 11:42 AM   #5
Mike

I only notice it from off idle and if I apply the gas with my foot on the brake(trying to replicate the sound).

It comes from the left side of the steering wheel, but not sure if it is coming form the dash or down by the pedals..

I do only notice it when the car first starts going and then either other noises drowns it out or it goes away.

If you need more info on the car, it is a 97 SL2 with the Double Bumpstick engine and an Auto tranny.

Thanks !

Old 11-27-2000, 06:53 PM   #6
Brendan
Brendan is on a distinguished road

does it sound kinda like a clock ticking?
Old 11-27-2000, 11:16 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Don't get many noises from the left side of the steering wheel. Might be transmission shifter solenoids working, but don't really think so. There are a few TSB's for noises in that area. Most common one in that area is for heater pipes from the heater core, these are behind a plastic cover on the right side of the gas pedal. The TSB involves installing a pipe clamp kit to prevent the pipes from moving around. My favorite one is for the loose headlamps. This is a rattle that can transmit all over the dash area of the of the car. Check the headlamp assemblies to see if they move when you grab them on the upper inside edge and move it in an in-out motion. They should be fairly tight and not seeming like they are pivoting on the outer edges of the assmblies. If they do then a shim is supposed to be installed where the headlamp assembly slides in/onto the rear headlamp mount. Happy noise hunting.
Closed Thread