SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Thermal Exhaust

Thermal Exhaust B801-C802 pic. Quality welds. Polished. A very nice kit. Ordered on July 1st. Arrived last week of September.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3290.jpg (213.6 KB, 34 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default Re: Thermal Exhaust

please keep us posted on the install.
Can I ask how much?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
I-4

1994 SL2

Considering that I have gone thru the original, plus 4 steel aftermarket pipes and mufflers, I hope this will be the last one I buy. The steel ones lasted me about 2-3 years with all the winter salt and brine use here in MA. Cost of the Thermal to me delivered was $450. Purchased thru JM Auto Sports of West Islip NY. I am no way affiliated with JM, but since you asked the price point, I found them to be the least when I was searching. I was told that Thermal makes a few of these Saturn exhausts a year as they are not a big seller for them. I had to wait. I will take some pictures of the end result this weekend. When I saw and heard one at the Extinct Car Show, I knew that eventually I would have to get one. Hopefully, it was money well spent. I have not heard of any quality issues with Thermal on this site. It fits very well. Show quality IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-4 View Post
Considering that I have gone thru the original, plus 4 steel aftermarket pipes and mufflers, I hope this will be the last one I buy. The steel ones lasted me about 2-3 years with all the winter salt and brine use here in MA. Cost of the Thermal to me delivered was $450. Purchased thru JM Auto Sports of West Islip NY. I am no way affiliated with JM, but since you asked the price point, I found them to be the least when I was searching. I was told that Thermal makes a few of these Saturn exhausts a year as they are not a big seller for them. I had to wait. I will take some pictures of the end result this weekend. When I saw and heard one at the Extinct Car Show, I knew that eventually I would have to get one. Hopefully, it was money well spent. I have not heard of any quality issues with Thermal on this site. It fits very well. Show quality IMHO.
I have the thermal installed on my 95 Sl2. Will be bringing it to the show. Very good quality exhaust, still shiny after 6 months.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Post a before / after video of the sound when it's installed!

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
Post a before / after video of the sound when it's installed!
I second that, I'm very curious about the sound of it. The Walker stuff is decent, but it just doesn't last in the salt belt. I'd like to go with a Thermal R&D or OBX, but I don't want my Saturn sounding obnoxious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I've seen people post video of what is sounds like on Facebook. Some say that is kinda sounds like a Subaru. I haven't been around enough Subarus to say if that't true but I do like it

Professional at finding random rattles
1997 SL2, 115K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Thanks for the response. I am also nursing a stock exhaust along. I, like the OP can see the value in that type of system. If Thermo is generous enough to make an orphan system, the wait looks like it would be worth it.
The things I am curious about on the install are:
1) over all direct fit.
2) easy of installation. I understand you may have to man handle it a bit to get it into position
3) how the muffler fits into the stock location
4) sound - inside the car and out. Mine is a daily driver and I don't want much more than my current wore out system has.
I like the way they addressed getting up and around the rear suspension.
A tip for installation: mock it up first and get everything to hang right. when you are happy, work your way through and tighten things up. At all the flanges, use Permitex Ultra copper generously on both sides of the joint. Coat the bolts with Neversieze copper and make sure they have split lock washers.
When done, let the system sit over night to let the gasket sealer set up.
Patience will be rewarded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
I second that, I'm very curious about the sound of it. The Walker stuff is decent, but it just doesn't last in the salt belt. I'd like to go with a Thermal R&D or OBX, but I don't want my Saturn sounding obnoxious.
If you don't want a coffee can full of bumblebees for your exhaust tune, then keep the stock muffler on your system.

Everything else is going to sound like a fart-canned Civic, because it is a 4 cylinder engine.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
I-4

1994 SL2

I could not get the short video to upload. My computer skills are lacking in that regard. Two words to describe, "low tones". I have a 92 factory header and downpipe. Sounds like the previous "turbo" style muffler that I had. To me, it does not sound "Honda like" at all. The Saturn is a longer stroke vs bore, than the typical Honda in line 4. That, among many other design variables account for different acoustics. I ended up taking it a local exhaust guy, it need a new flex joint and some welding up front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3298.JPG (127.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.JPG (102.9 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation