SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
silver_star
silver_star is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2500 - the magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Freak View Post
Nope, manuals typically get better mileage regardless of city/highway conditions. This is slowly starting to change though with dual clutch transmissions, which would be pretty sweet to get one from an Audi TT or A3 thrown into the Astra, paddles included!
But it seems to me an identical engine at 2500rpm should be using less gas than an identical engine running at 3000rpm? No? And what's your take on the highway performance of this car. I'm not a speed demon by any means, I just don't want an engine that sounds like it's going to pop if I go 110-120km/h... (75-80mph).

My car should be delivered mid next week and I'm having post-purchase anxiety

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silver_star's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silver_star reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silver_star is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #42
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

BC indicates I'm running at 9.7 l/100km, so I'm somewhat happy with this, considering I'm not the slowest driver. I just hit 3300 kms, IIRC.
lol I remember reading up here that someone found 60 mph slow... that is, in my province, the speed limit on all major highways. 100 km/h. I won't even get into secondary roads, collector highways, and service roads. 90, 70, and 50 km/h, usually. What a joke.

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Nope, manuals typically get better mileage regardless of city/highway conditions.
Not all the time... It all depends on the gearing of the transmission.

Manual VUE's operate at a higher RPM than the automatics, and get lower highway mileage.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #44
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Not all the time... It all depends on the gearing of the transmission.

Manual VUE's operate at a higher RPM than the automatics, and get lower highway mileage.
Could someone then tell me how the manual Astra gets better highway fuel economy compared to the automatic, when it's a good 500rpm more at 100km/h (60mph?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silver_star reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #45
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_star View Post
But it seems to me an identical engine at 2500rpm should be using less gas than an identical engine running at 3000rpm? No? And what's your take on the highway performance of this car. I'm not a speed demon by any means, I just don't want an engine that sounds like it's going to pop if I go 110-120km/h... (75-80mph).

My car should be delivered mid next week and I'm having post-purchase anxiety
I can only comment on the automatic equipped Astras, at 70mph the engine is running just under 3000rpm, 80 is pushing it towards 3700rpm I believe (not too sure though, haven't been that fast in quite awhile). People complain about noise in this car, but I don't see why; the engine is pretty damn quiet and you won't really "hear" it until you get up to around 4000rpm.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #46
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I can't help it.

Am I the only one who finds the sound you get, revving at a red light, from 1000 to 1400 rpm? that groan is so damn sexy... lol

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
silver_star

Quote:
I can only comment on the automatic equipped Astras, at 70mph the engine is running just under 3000rpm, 80 is pushing it towards 3700rpm I believe (not too sure though, haven't been that fast in quite awhile). People complain about noise in this car, but I don't see why; the engine is pretty damn quiet and you won't really "hear" it until you get up to around 4000rpm.
Thanks for that I guess the 4000 mark in the manual is about 80mph, so I'll have to stay below that Thanks for your posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #48
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
I know this is a bit off-topic, but I can't help it.

Am I the only one who finds the sound you get, revving at a red light, from 1000 to 1400 rpm? that groan is so damn sexy... lol
I'll let you know when I actually get mine But I've heard the engine sounds pretty sweet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #49
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

lol, it's no V8 symphony, but it does have a good tone to it.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #50
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
But it seems to me an identical engine at 2500rpm should be using less gas than an identical engine running at 3000rpm?
RPMs aren't directly linked to fuel economy in this case. If we assume that two Astras -- one with an automatic transmission and one with a manual transmission -- weigh exactly the same, produce the same amount of drag, have the same rolling resistance, etc., both cars should require the exact same amount of energy to run continuously on the highway at 60 MPH for one full minute. How that amount of energy is produced can vary. With the automatic, it is being produced using only 2500 engine revolutions (RPMs), while the manual is doing it over the course of 3000 RPMs. But over that full minute, both engines must produce the exact same amount of energy (or "work") to keep the cars at speed. So our automatic is working a little harder, consuming more fuel per cylinder firing than our manual transmission, but over the course of a full minute, the difference is almost zero (due to the lock-up torque converter).

Where things get muddy is in the engine's "efficiency" at different RPMs, and is why we have transmissions with different gears (or CVTs that vary their ratio according to the "work" required).

Quote:
And what's your take on the highway performance of this car. I'm not a speed demon by any means, I just don't want an engine that sounds like it's going to pop if I go 110-120km/h... (75-80mph).
It doesn't (sound like it's going to pop).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #51
silver_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
RPMs aren't directly linked to fuel economy in this case. If we assume that two Astras -- one with an automatic transmission and one with a manual transmission -- weigh exactly the same, produce the same amount of drag, have the same rolling resistance, etc., both cars should require the exact same amount of energy to run continuously on the highway at 60 MPH for one full minute. How that amount of energy is produced can vary. With the automatic, it is being produced using only 2500 engine revolutions (RPMs), while the manual is doing it over the course of 3000 RPMs. But over that full minute, both engines must produce the exact same amount of energy (or "work") to keep the cars at speed. So our automatic is working a little harder, consuming more fuel per cylinder firing than our manual transmission, but over the course of a full minute, the difference is almost zero (due to the lock-up torque converter).

Where things get muddy is in the engine's "efficiency" at different RPMs, and is why we have transmissions with different gears (or CVTs that vary their ratio according to the "work" required).

It doesn't (sound like it's going to pop).
All very good information and very informative, thanks very much! I still wish it was lower, but I realized there was a tradeoff when I bought the car (ie: price, standard features, curb appeal and uniqueness with a bit less power than a Mazda3). I read somewhere it's tuned to run a bit higher on purpose and still have power to overtake on the highway or get up a hill. Hope that's the truth! I'll do mostly city driving anyway, but have to drive it 400 km from the dealer home (didn't much like the dealer in my home town!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #52
rsneha
rsneha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
http://www.metric-conversions.org/vo...id-gallons.htm

http://www.metric-conversions.org/le...s-to-miles.htm

...but than again as dangerd points out, he has a stick. Sticks will typically get better mileage than an automatic.
Thanks or you can also try these converters:
Volume conversion
Length converter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rsneha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rsneha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rsneha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #53
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

8000 rpm idle seems rather high. you might want to get that checked out. maybe it's just an automatic thing though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote