SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #4381
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler has a spectacular aura aboutJ N Winkler has a spectacular aura aboutJ N Winkler has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylini View Post
The car is drastically more quiet. However, with all the revving to burp the coolant and to "test" the exhaust, I lost a quart of oil. It's not appearing in the cylinders (clean spark plugs) or the oil (just replaced and it was clean) so unless it's recirculating into the intake, it's probably leaking somewhere. My first guess is filter.
You can check for leaks around the valve cover gasket and try to reduce oil induction through the PCV system by using a fixed-orifice PCV valve, but given that this car fell into your hands without a working lower exhaust, the likeliest explanation is high oil consumption due to stuck oil rings. 5W-30 oil was still new technology at the time, so the engines for these cars were designed with drainback grooves (not holes) in order to slow down drainback and reduce the risk of metal-to-metal contact due to oil film strength failures. Oil therefore tends to stay close to the oil control rings, where it heats up and over time cokes up the rings. Once this happens they can no longer scrape oil off the cylinder walls efficiently and oil consumption goes up progressively.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #4382
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Silicone greased the shifter. Smeared the olde silicone grease on the weatherstriping for the doors and trunk.

Checked the F5 connection for melting. None found.

Iíve used the cigarette lighter to charge (one at a time), a cell phone, Ď97 ThinkPad, boot warmer and video camera. The car has crank windows if that makes any difference.

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 10 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #4383
kylini
kylini is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
You can check for leaks around the valve cover gasket and try to reduce oil induction through the PCV system by using a fixed-orifice PCV valve, but given that this car fell into your hands without a working lower exhaust, the likeliest explanation is high oil consumption due to stuck oil rings. 5W-30 oil was still new technology at the time, so the engines for these cars were designed with drainback grooves (not holes) in order to slow down drainback and reduce the risk of metal-to-metal contact due to oil film strength failures. Oil therefore tends to stay close to the oil control rings, where it heats up and over time cokes up the rings. Once this happens they can no longer scrape oil off the cylinder walls efficiently and oil consumption goes up progressively.
I bet that's contributing to the oil in the exhaust. Luckily, I actually found the main oil problem yesterday!

Above the alternator but below the valve cover gasket, there's a spot near the front (belt-side) of the engine where oil *streams* out under load. It then drips onto the alternator bracket, down to the oil filter, and from there onto the belts and everywhere.

This is right around the timing chain gasket, which was put on with a ton of RTV. I'm pretty sure that's my main problem!

I only had to destroy a parking spot to find it. Fortunately, said spot was at a mechanical community college, so they lent me oil dry to clean up the mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polka-leak-before.jpg (115.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg polka-leak-after.jpg (162.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg polka-exhaust.jpg (177.1 KB, 6 views)

Just a clueless scientist-in-training. Don't mind me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kylini's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kylini reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kylini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #4384
CheapRacer
CheapRacer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1996 SC1

Had an awesome day Saturday with a runner-up in the Electronics(Box) Gamblers Race and won enough $$ to get me to the next ADRA Points Meet. Lost round one of the No Box race by being sound asleep at the tree LOL. Sunday we qualified #1 in Sport Compact and wound up in 2nd place, only went one round in Sportsman class but the guys I usually have to battle for points went out in the first round so I dodged a bullet there. All in all a good weekend money and points wise.

Off to Raceway Park, Prince Edward Island this Friday for round 2 of the ADRA points series - 1/8 mile this time where my car is normally more consistent so I've got high hopes for some of those Sport/Compact and Sportsman class points. Bottom photo taken just after I made a remark about a 17 second Saturn picking on 7 second Dragsters and 8 second Super/Pro cars like a mosquito on an elephant's ass. Made the race director laugh.....

Green 1996 SC-1, Stock, Sportsman class Drag Racer, 17.97 ET @ 75 MPH.
Green 1996 SC-1, 355 Chev, Under construction for NHRA/IHRA 10.90 class.
1994 Chev ext cab short box 2WD Daily Driver / tow rig

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CheapRacer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CheapRacer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CheapRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #4385
SRGW
SRGW is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1997 SL1
Post Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Installed new front struts in 1995 SL1.
Went to pick and pull and found a left front inside door panel [$8.50] and a hubcap [$3.00] and a new thermostat and housing $5.00] plus misc odds and ends [push pin connectors, hubcap lugs, a few lug nuts, and an IAT connector]for the 1995.

1995 SL1 217,500 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 50,200 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #4386
silentdude56k
silentdude56k is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
2002 SL2

The 1994 SW2 got some love this week.

I replaced the starter, CPS, changed the oil, and sucked out some old power steering fluid with a turkey baster before replacing it with Mobil 1. The old starter was starting to act up when the engine was warm, and I replaced the CPS since I was down there already.

The Grape: Purple 1994 SW2 auto. 282k+ miles. Head gasket replaced due to an overheat at ~261k. Timing chain replaced for good measure. Passes California smog testing (1/28/2015).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silentdude56k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silentdude56k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silentdude56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #4387
Marty605
Marty605 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Finally got to change my NOISY Slapping Belt Tensioner W/ New Belt both from Rockauto. Bought the Gates Item. Hopefully i'll NEVER have to do it again but if i do I'll invest in a Serpentine belt tool....Not lots of room!!

1996 SL1 SOHC 1.9 215K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marty605's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marty605 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marty605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #4388
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Painted a clean spare set of drums with POR 15.
To make it easier to wire-wheel, scrape and paint, I used spare front knuckles & hubs for a mandrel.

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 10 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #4389
kylini
kylini is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Painted a clean spare set of drums with POR 15.
To make it easier to wire-wheel, scrape and paint, I used spare front knuckles & hubs for a mandrel.
Hah!

I got some cheap BFG Sport Comp-2s and pressure washed and POR-15'd my steel wheels. Good stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polka-steelies.jpg (105.1 KB, 2 views)

Just a clueless scientist-in-training. Don't mind me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kylini's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kylini reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kylini is offline   Reply With Quote