SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Grinding/Scrapping noise when braking

Sounds like its coming from the front passenger side and is hella loud. Mostly happens when braking slowly (from a relatively slow speed - 60 km/h to 0km/h but not at high speeds from 100km/h to 0 km/h no noise)

what could it be? Sounds like something is scrapping and its VERY loud.

1992 Saturn SL2 has been sold as of June 2007...
2003 4.6L v8 Mustang 5speed Sold as of March 2014...
Daily Driver ... 2003 i4 5speed Vue
Mileage Currently @ (09/30/2014) 268,000 km (166,500 mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BullyCanadian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BullyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Grinding/Scrapping noise when braking

OOh an also I dont believe its the brakes, the brakes dont make this kind of grinding noise - could it be the CV joint? (its got me worried because I have to put about another 300km - 500km on the car before I can take it to the mechanic for a thourough inspection and driving with this noise has got me worried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
iheartmysaturn
iheartmysaturn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

cv joints dont really make grinding noise. they make a clicking sound at an angle, under load

~1993 Saturn SL2m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iheartmysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iheartmysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iheartmysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
Pro_leonk
Pro_leonk is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

B grinding noise? my best bet would be the brakes. did you have a look at your rotors and pads? maybe the anti rallte clip is loose? Or lacks of brake grease. For some odd reason on my friends explorer, he had the same problem, grinding noise when applying the brakes at lower speeds, at high speed not noticable. (due to noise maybe?) new rotors and pads did the job. dont go yet out and buy parts, first troubleshoot it a bit more.

Put your car on jacks, then spin the tire by hand, listen if you can hear anything grinding or metal on metal sounds. Also have a look if ur CV joint is still in good condition. maybe, if you have the option, record the sound and post it here. Also could be that something is loose...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pro_leonk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pro_leonk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pro_leonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
cindy_and_lee
cindy_and_lee is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

from my personal experience... i'd be willing to bet you pull that tire off on that side and you'll probably find the the inner brake pad is flat worn out... usually the side that the piston in the caliper is on will wear out the brake pad a helluva lot faster than the opposite one

Like others have said... grinding noise is usually brakes ESPECIALLY at low speeds, if it isn't the brakes... listen for the noise at idle and STOPPED... maybe the power steering pump whining... but just taking a wild guess... i bet you are due for a brake job...

Lee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindy_and_lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindy_and_lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindy_and_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

you didn't say you looked at the brakes, so I'm assuming you didn't. it's like cindy said- the inner pad is gring a groove into your rotor. have you ever done the brakes before? pads and rotors are cheap and easy.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hmm, i didnt think it would be the breaks already they were done at about 160k Km's (which was about 7k MILES ago). Got new rotors and pads back then, can they go that fast? I dont know when I will have the time to look at it and change them (hopefully this wednesday). I have never done breaks before but I have a buddy who does his and can help me out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
travman514
travman514 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

if the noise happens when you brake it is very very likely the brakes. it should take more than 5 minutes to jack it up, take off the tire,visually inspect brakes/caliper/rotor,and put the tire back on.now i understand you just got the brakes done 7000 miles ago and there SHOULD NOT be anything wrong with them but there may be crappy pads at fault here...or....................just maybe......................................you THOUGHT YOU HEARD it coming from the front but it may be coming from the back. did you get the back brakes done 7000 miles ago too? drum or disc?

97 sc2 5speed MPG 30mpg @75-95 mph
97 mirage 1.5L 42MPG
95 neon auto 32mpg
93 ford ranger 2wd auto 18mpg

WHEN IN DOUBT....CHANGE YOUR ECTS!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travman514's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travman514 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travman514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by travman514
if the noise happens when you brake it is very very likely the brakes. it should take more than 5 minutes to jack it up, take off the tire,visually inspect brakes/caliper/rotor,and put the tire back on.now i understand you just got the brakes done 7000 miles ago and there SHOULD NOT be anything wrong with them but there may be crappy pads at fault here...or....................just maybe......................................you THOUGHT YOU HEARD it coming from the front but it may be coming from the back. did you get the back brakes done 7000 miles ago too? drum or disc?
Yup I had all 4 brakes done. the drums in the back and the rotors/pads in the front. I'll jack the car up and check the pad / rotor tomorrow after my exam in the morning and update this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Katie
Katie is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Drums? Weren't all 92 Saturns 4 wheel disc like mine?

In addition to bad brakes (rusted rotors, worn pads, dirt in brakes), I have heard grinding on braking when bearings were shot, but you usually also hear it when the car turns etc...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Katie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Katie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Scott
Scott is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Once I had a sound that I thought was a grinding sound, but it turned out to be a misrouted brake line. I think it was rubbing against the wheel or tire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
cindy_and_lee

1995 SC1

you'd be surprised how many times i have done brake jobs because of a failed part... usually the caliper sticks or the piston cocks in the bore and keeps the piston compressed slightly causing the pad to be applied to the rotor and shortly it burns the pad up, causing a LOT of noise....

did you notice while driving that it was pulling to the right or left just a little?? if it was, your pad was probably dragging just slightly and burned it up...

just check it, won't take a few minutes just to check... you may not have brake problems, but in checking you might find what the problem is since you'll have the wheel off and out of the way

Lee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cindy_and_lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
cindy_and_lee

1995 SC1

did ya check it? what did you find?

Was it the brakes dragging? Hello.....

Forget to get back with us?? LOL

Lee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_and_lee
did ya check it? what did you find?

Was it the brakes dragging? Hello.....

Forget to get back with us?? LOL

Lee
yup sorry forgot to update the thread lol
- anyways ended up getting the car towed back home to my mechanic because of the tensioner pulley going, and the belt shredding (I didnt have all my tools with me at res) - turns out the CV boot was also ripped and gone, got a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!