SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
SBXLI93
SBXLI93 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default EGR ports cleaning

My 1999 SL2 keeps giving me a 401 code...insufficient EGR flow. I have already replaced the EGR valve(probably didn't need too!) The two ports it covers have no visible blockage. my cold idle is at 1200 rpms and after the car warms up my park idle is at 950 rpms and my drive idle (while sitting at a light engine on in gear...automatic) is at 759...all according to scan guage. after about 30 seconds at light my idle will stumble or fall like it wants to stall then come back to tolerance. I have recieved a 420 code concerning the catalytic converter but it will disappear after I drive about 40 miles at 65 mph. Are there other ports I need to clean (like in the intake manifold?) is there a video or procedure for this? My fuel milege has not suffered actually has improved with new valve and the discovery that a plug was not gapped correctly.

1999 SL2 748k miles
engine and tranny rebuilt
36.5 mpg
Now I am ready to go for another 500,000!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBXLI93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBXLI93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBXLI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: EGR ports cleaning

Get the engine warmed up and then shut it off. Remove EGR valve. Start car with EGR removed and hood open. Engine will rev up to the rev limiter, 4000 RPM and the exhaust will blow the carbon out of the exhaust runner to the EGR. It will be loud. Shut it off and put the valve back on, clear codes and go for a test drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
SBXLI93
SBXLI93 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: EGR ports cleaning

Thanks Old Nuc! I haven't tried that but will before I go pick up a back window for my Satty!

1999 SL2 748k miles
engine and tranny rebuilt
36.5 mpg
Now I am ready to go for another 500,000!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBXLI93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBXLI93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBXLI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

About a month ago I had a slew of codes and also had that EGR Valve Code. Since your EGR is new I would not think you would need to clean it. I also did as advised by many on this forum and started the engine with the EGR off. What I did different than OldNuc, and the same as many people, I poured SeaFoam into the intake side of the EGR holes. I started the car and it quickly went to 4000 RPM and it was indeed loud (although not open header loud). Before I did this (also replaced Plugs and Wires) my idle in neutral (I have a Manual) was around 1500 to 1700 and dropped to about 1100 to 1000 upon start-up on a cold engine and to about 700 800 once warmed.

I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

stick a clean rag in the hole that is closest to the battery. this way when you start the car, it will not be bouncing off the rev limiter.

i made a block-off plate with the hole closest to the head open and the other hole was covered. you can see the carbon come out as you rev it.

watching the Saturn bounce off the rev limit is a horrible feeling...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The one to plug is the clean one. Be very careful what you plug the manifold side with as it is going to be exposed to manifold vacuum and it could get sucked into the manifold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
rockky
rockky is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I don't understand these instructions. I had an dirt egr and I ignorantly bought a new one. It took care of the the idle problem and my p1404 code went away. I've been happy for months until I got the same code again and my car would not idle. I cleaned the egr and my car is happy but

I want to clean the egr passages thoroughly. It had been suggested that i simply remove the egr and rev the engine. But there were other instructions. Could someone re-explain those instructions?

Is there a manual way to hand clean those passages by removing something?

SL2 180 k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rockky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rockky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rockky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

If you watch the RichPin06a videos there will be one on cleaning the EGR, and there will be another on the length of the exhaust port from the manifold. It seems to me that at least on the SOHC that it is 8" to 10" from the exhaust manifold to the EGR Valve. Cleaning the exhaust side would be quite difficult unless you had the motor out of the car like he did in the video. As far as intake side you can use a carbon cleaner, I used SeaFoam, or whatever you like.

Watching the Saturn bounce off the neutral rev limiter is sad, but you are only doing it for a few seconds. Besides, if you do use SeaFoam, watch the white smoke pour out of everywhere.

1994 SL2 - 24 Hours of Lemons Racecar
1998 SC1 - 305K miles - dead
2001 SC1 - 349K miles and counting - 1 quart per 1K miles - stock engine
Just another OEM engineer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote