SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
peterseb
peterseb is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Trying to replace the serpentine belt!

I am trying to replace the serpentine belt on my 99 SC2. I used a long tensioner wrench to remove the belt, which came off fairly easily. I am having a hell of a time getting the new belt on though. At first I thought it might be shorter than the old one, but I tried to put the old one back on with the same result. I have taken the right front wheel off the car removed the wheel well panel and wound the belt snugly around the lower pulley (drive wheel?) I have tried all kinds of things when loosening the tensioner to get the belt back on. The tensioner tool is a bit restricted in its swing so I also tied shoelaces around a small wrench and pulled up on it. This allowed for more range of motion but still not enought to get the belt on. I have wound it around every pulley and saved the A/C pulley for last since it's easiest to get to. Anyone have ideas on what else I can do? This is a bit of an emergency for me because it's my only car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peterseb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peterseb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peterseb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: Trying to replace the serpentine belt!

Use a combo 14mm wrench. Then with the open side you will be able to push down on the pulley about half way. Put the belt half on the a/c then flip the wrench and you will get the rest of the travel you need to install the belt.
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
peterseb

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Use a combo 14mm wrench. Then with the open side you will be able to push down on the pulley about half way. Put the belt half on the a/c then flip the wrench and you will get the rest of the travel you need to install the belt.
Carmen
A 14mm combo wrench is what I had the string tied to and I got more range of motion that it took to get the belt off in the first place, and I didn't have to pull it hard. I'm not sure what you mean by flipping it to get more travel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help peterseb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
peterseb

1999 SC2

Good lord, I finally got it on, and it only took me 4 hours... I used the wrench up through the wheel well and turned it until my hand was about to bleed while my neighbor pulled the belt on. The guy at Firestone told me it would be a pain if I did it myself without a lift. Did I listen? No.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

With the TAM in the way, I route the belt around all the other pulleys FIRST and save the crankshaft pulley for last. (With the passenger side wheel and inner splash guard OFF) That way I can relieve the tensioner with one hand and slip the belt over the crankshaft pulley with the other. Works every time for me.........

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
peterseb

1999 SC2

I tried it that way once, but the sheer force it took to rotate the short wrench I was using made it difficult. At least now I know what tools I need and how to approach it if I ever have to do it again. Speaking of the splash guards, mine seemed dry-rotted. I suppose it is meant to be a cheap part, but I am surprised I even got it back on in one piece. I used a screwdriver to pry out the fastener and it nearly disintegrated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I recommend using a deep offset wrench when loosening/tightening the tensioner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Katie
Katie is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

It is definitely a man strengthed job pulling that tensioner. I usually end up using a breaker bar or screwdriver and lever the wrench the last bit and slip the belt over water pump. It definitely helps to have an extra pair of hands working the belt. ANd its great to save the money that shop charges you for something that simple. I have always wondered if pulling the tensioner that far caused the tensioner to need replacing earlier?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Katie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Katie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

You really had that much trouble? I don't mean to seem condisending. I remember the first time I tried routing and assembling a serpentine belt drive. What a mess, it is hard, but it gets much easier with time. I just did it today, no problem. New tensioner, because the old one broke, and a new (to me ) power steering pump. I would definately recommend taking off the TAM, and jacking the engine up towards the left of the engine bay as much as possible, then it's a breeze.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
bad mikey
bad mikey is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Dizzy Re: Trying to replace the serpentine belt!

I do enough autowork on the side to have invested in a Serp Belt kit from Gearwrench (Purchased at Sears for $50) it configures well to Saturns and it's quick and easy without touching the fender liner. The straight bar type with attatchemnents does not work because of poor clearance between the tensioner and engine mount. I've also used the 14mm wrench but this is much easier for all vehicles. Only worth the investment if you do alot of work though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bad mikey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bad mikey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bad mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30
I recommend using a deep offset wrench when loosening/tightening the tensioner.
This is what deep offset wrenches look like. A set of these is quite necessary, especially when working on Saturns. These wrenches work great when taking off the tensioner or idler pulley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STW20-8.jpg (36.7 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I save alterantor pulley last.

I've done it so much now I can put a belt on in two minutes.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote