SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
dkimmons
dkimmons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Car pulls right on accel & left On decel

I am looking at a 96 SC 2 5SP with 103K to purchase. Body is very good but seems to have a front end problem. The steeering pulls to the right when you accel and then back to the left when you decel. I think this may be broken or weak motor mounts but could it be something more serious?

Thans dkimmons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dkimmons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dkimmons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dkimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Car pulls right on accel & left On decel

it sure could be a front end problem. These cars have equal length half shafts so there's no torque steer from the factory.

Jack up each front wheel and wiggle.

Off the top of my head, a tie rod end is most likely. Not terribly expensive but make the seller fix it so you're sure it's good.

A bad motor mount, you'll feel the motor bounce around when you let off the clutch, but the axles have enough in-and-out splined movement to absorb this by the hubs and the wheels should stay put.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Katie
Katie is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

My guess is also steering knuckle or alignment issues. Although I have never seen this or heard of it, could a bad differential do something like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Katie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Katie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Sounds like a tie rod issue.

And the axle lengths do differ by a lot, you're forgetting about the intermediate shaft ;-)

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeep4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
between5and7
between5and7 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW1
1995 SL2
Wrench Re: Car pulls right on accel & left On decel

Once I forgot to tighten my left side lower control arm and that is exactly what happened. (The bolt that goes thru the sub-frame.) I re-checked my work and found my mistake and all was well.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to between5and7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help between5and7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
between5and7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4523
Sounds like a tie rod issue.

And the axle lengths do differ by a lot, you're forgetting about the intermediate shaft ;-)
Which, as a function of its mounting, eliminates the torque steer.

Re. the right pull, dunno if this would apply to the S-car suspension, but on a couple old Omni/Horizons I've owned/worked on, a loose or bent control arm, or worn control arm bushings will cause torque steer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
dkimmons
dkimmons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks to all who got back to me. I checked the outer tie rods and ball joints and they were really bad. Replaced them, had the alignment done and car is driving great. Oh I did purchase it.

Thanks again
dkimmons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dkimmons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dkimmons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dkimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Which, as a function of its mounting, eliminates the torque steer.

Re. the right pull, dunno if this would apply to the S-car suspension, but on a couple old Omni/Horizons I've owned/worked on, a loose or bent control arm, or worn control arm bushings will cause torque steer.
Then you've never mashed one that's boosted or has juice, they DEFINATELY have torque steer. The reason for that is because the OVERALL LENGTH from the trans to the hub is what matters. The intermediate and the passenger side both twist a bit AS A UNIT, which is what causes torque steer. The driver's side also twists, but it can't exert the same forces as the passenger side setup does.

Check out the axle set up on an SRT4, THAT is equal length half shafts ;-)

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeep4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimmons
I am looking at a 96 SC 2 5SP with 103K to purchase. Body is very good but seems to have a front end problem. The steeering pulls to the right when you accel and then back to the left when you decel. I think this may be broken or weak motor mounts but could it be something more serious?

Thans dkimmons
I had the exact same issue with my 91 SL2 5spd when I bought it. It was simply an alignment problem. But I can see it being loose or bad tie rods/ball joints.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote