SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
PA97Saturn
PA97Saturn is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SC2 sunroof headache

I have a 97 SC2 that I am having problems with the sunroof. I had it up one day and when I went to put it down it came almost the way down but then it started making a clicking noise. It will move a little but not much before it makes the clicking noise up in the front of the sunroof. Does anyone have an suggestions on how to fix it or what might be wrong? Any ideas???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PA97Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PA97Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 97 SC2 sunroof headache

You might not want to hear this, but...

It is very common for the plastic internal components of the sunroof to break. You have the classic symptoms. They cannot be repaired, and the sunroof is only sold as an entire module (everything but the glass). Part: $650. Labor: $300.

I had the sunroof fail in both of my Saturns, a 97 SL2 and an 01 SC2. The 97 was fixed for free by the dealer, since I was purchasing it used and it did not work during the test drive. The 01 was fixed for free by the Chevy dealer I bought it from, since it failed only four days after I bought the car from them used.

I have heard that a company does sell remanufactured sunroof modules for Saturns for about half the price. Do a search on these forums for some of the (many) posts on this issue.

One good thing to know is that you can live without a working sunroof and not have it leak as long as the sides of the rails are not damaged. The sunroof seal isn't designed to be watertight. There are channels the send the water through four drain hoses down the four corners of the car (they commonly clog though). As long as one of the rails/channels isn't broken, you are fine. If the sunroof stuck open (as did in my 01), my retailer said they can force it closed (breaking it more in the process, but it's already broken anyway) and make sure it's watertight for a nominal fee.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
rdesarno
rdesarno is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I have a similar story. My 1994 SC2 sun roof mechanism died when it was open. My local Saturn dealer got it closed, but couldn't get it completly sealed. I opted to replace it - big bucks, though. If you can get yours shut tight enough, it might be the answer for you. Certainly cheaper!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdesarno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdesarno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
I have heard that a company does sell remanufactured sunroof modules for Saturns for about half the price. Do a search on these forums for some of the (many) posts on this issue.
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9602saturn.htm

$330.00 total cost. Not all that difficult to install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Since we are talking sunroofs,on my 96 Sc2 which I purschased several weeks ago from a honest guy who told me everything that was wrong with the car to the point of a broken muffler clamp.The guy told me everything worked even the sunroof.Now I believe it did work,at least last summer when He used it. When I tryed it yesterday on a unusall 60 degree day in January I got nothing. No noise nothing. I checked the fuse and it looked good. Any ideas???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt
Since we are talking sunroofs,on my 96 Sc2 which I purschased several weeks ago from a honest guy who told me everything that was wrong with the car to the point of a broken muffler clamp.The guy told me everything worked even the sunroof.Now I believe it did work,at least last summer when He used it. When I tryed it yesterday on a unusall 60 degree day in January I got nothing. No noise nothing. I checked the fuse and it looked good. Any ideas???
You may want to try to hotwire the sunroof motor to see if it's the problem. If you'll pull out the maplight housing (it snaps in), you should be able to lower the headliner a bit to see the motor. Might have to take off the sun visors to give you a bit more wiggle room.

I'm sitting here looking at my spare motor and can't recall exactly how we jumpered the two terminals in the connector. One polarity opens and the other closes. I'd have to open it all up again to remember for sure but you can probably figure it out. You should, at least, be able to ascertain if it's the motor itself or something else in the wiring that is not making the connection.

Others may chime in with better suggestions.

Here's an alternate link:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18690

And, one more that includes some info about manual override:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36265

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
bryman
bryman is on a distinguished road

check this place out....

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9602saturn.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

How convenient, my sunroof broke today and a thread all about it. Lots of clicking and a sunroof that was stuck half way up.

(BTW it is -4 out right now. just the day to bust the sunroof)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

I wouldn't use the sunroof in the cold. The lubricants lose a lot of viscosity at low temps. It puts it in a bind and can snapt the rails or gears.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Thumbs Down Re: 97 SC2 sunroof headache

This is one of the threads I really hope Saturn Corp. people look at. It's obviously a fairly common problem and needs to be addressed after 15 years of no changes. I bought a good aftermarket roof when I got my '99 SC-2 (through the dealer), and I plan on doing the same thing on the Ion QC3 I'm buying in the next couple of months, so they're about to lose out on that option again with me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
Yellow Hornet
Yellow Hornet is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Just puzzeled about the numerous posts about sunroof malfunctions. Thankfully my 2001 SC2 does not have one and my own Saturn retailer said I should consider myself lucky. Now, my past two cars, 2002 Pontiac Sunfire and 1999 Pontiac Grand AM GT both had sunroofs and I never had a problem with either of them. Even husband's current 04 Monte Carlo has one, no problems. Is this inherent with Saturns?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yellow Hornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yellow Hornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

I can't say for sure, because I don't go to other car websites, but it would seem to be a specific problem with the Saturn roof. From the outside, they look the same as other GM sunroofs, so maybe not. Anyone know for sure if GM and Saturn have the same sunroofs, or are they different?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Hornet
Now, my past two cars, 2002 Pontiac Sunfire and 1999 Pontiac Grand AM GT both had sunroofs and I never had a problem with either of them. Even husband's current 04 Monte Carlo has one, no problems.
Those other cars aren't old enough to have sunroof problems yet. The main problem with Saturn sunroofs is failing to lubricate it as per the owner's manual suggestions. The parts are very weak, and poor lubrication puts just enough tension on them to break. It usually takes years of not lubricating it before a problem crops up.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
AJ Quick
AJ Quick is on a distinguished road

Hey,
I just wanted to give some info about the sunroofs. I actually own a Dodge Neon, but we use the EXACT same sunroofs! The only things I have seen that are different are the motors, and the mounts for the motor. I don't have much info about the motors, so if anyone has some pictures that would be great!

We have the problem with the tracks breaking off at where the cable attaches, and also the motors stripping the gears out. Just for those wondering about the sun roofs.. they aren't just Saturn specific.. they are made by a 3rd party, and are nortorious for breaking!

The tracks can jam, and cause serious problems. Which are very expensive as you may know. If you are looking for parts, you can go to a dodge dealership and ask for the rails and tracks individually incase you can't get them at a Saturn dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJ Quick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJ Quick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #15
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver
This is one of the threads I really hope Saturn Corp. people look at. It's obviously a fairly common problem and needs to be addressed after 15 years of no changes.
The sunroof designs are completely different between the first and second generation S-Series cars. The OEM sunroof in my '93 SL2 gave me zero problems in the 5 1/2 years and 120k miles I owned it. The OEM sunroof in my '01 SC2 however, was repaired 3 times and finally replaced in the 3 1/2 years and 46k miles I had it. That didn't stop me from getting the factory sunroof in my '04 VUE.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

I was under the impression that the 1st generation sunroofs were the dogs.I just finished replacing the relay in my 96 SC2.I also thought the second generation sunroof was not much different from the first.Since I own both and both have sunroofs what problems lay down the road for me,.Both vehicles were low mileage purschases.When I brought my 96 to the dealer and asked them to look at the sunroof they looked as if I told them they were going to be shot at noon. They wanted no part of it,not unless I was willing to pay $1600 to replace it.I fixed it for $89.00.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
AJ Quick
AJ Quick is on a distinguished road

The sunroofs in 97-02 SC, and 96-02 SL.. are identical, and they are for sure the ones that go bad. Break the cable connector.. tracks warp, tracks seize, cables slip, motor fries.. relay goes out.. etc!

I don't know about other gens of SC or SL's.

[url]http://www.AJQuick.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.MNNeons.org/[/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJ Quick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJ Quick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #18
ArghIGiveUp

I see far more operable 91-95 SL and 91-96 SC than the second, newer design. Additionally, some individual parts are available for the older version, while the newer ones stick it to you by being only available as a complete unit, sans glass.

I thought my '93 sunroof was broken when I bought the car a few years ago, but it was just out of alignment. It must have taken me three days of fiddling with it to get it to stop binding when it opened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArghIGiveUp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArghIGiveUp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

if you go to that sunroofdoctor link, you'll see that they describe COMPLETELY different probs from the early to late S car roofs. up to '95, no issues. looking there, I think I might order a new felt for my '93 SC1. roof always works, but has a bit of wind noise on the highway.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #20
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

If the Dodge tracks are actually the same part that could be huge. I think my sunroof is about to go out, as is the window motor. Not good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread