View Poll Results: Vote for me!
I vote for you! 12 75.00%
I don't vote for you! 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
THX712517

Default Vote for me!

After watching California for a while, I would like to announce that I will now be running for VP of Saturn. I promise a 20 HP increase in the Ecotec engines, 30 HP for the Honda V6, and 100 for the L81. I will spearhead a crack team of scientists to come up with a plastic that absorbs dents and can allow gaps of one millimeter in all temperatures. All cars will have thoroughly modern, fully ergonomic interiors with high class materials. Safety will be promoted across the board, including, but not limited to, oversize four wheel disc brakes, ABS as a deletable option, side airbags, and smart cruise control.

Styling contests will be held monthly, with the winning design being incorporated as soon as possible. Concept cars will be designed and built alongside production vehicles, in an effort to promote evolutionary and revolutionary styling. All cars will be required to outperform all competitors, and do it with a no-haggle sticker 5-10% less.

The parts bin will be thoroughly raided, superchargers will be attached to anything that moves, and all products will be dramatically updated every three years. Vehicle names will be alphanumeric whenever possible, and simple enough for a child of five to understand.

In short, I believe that in running for VP of Saturn, even though I have no qualifications whatsoever and the VP position is not available, for one, and not chosen in this manner, I have a good feeling about it. A vote for me is a vote for yourself!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Bring back the s series with slight changes, and then I'll vote fo you.
-Travis
Old 09-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
THX712517

Would you like the 1.9 twincam S-Series with the Deebs rebuild, looking at 140-150 HP, or would you prefer an S-Series with an Ecotec? I'm thinking the first gen coupe, first gen sedan and wagon, with modern interiors that would make VWs look like baroque brothels.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
ProDarwin
Master Member

1st gens with better looking rear ends on the sedans and wagons. Deebs rebuild, because the s-series motor weighs less and would be better for that car.
-Travis
Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 PM   #5
THX712517

I agree, it would promote a better weight balance f/r. A thoroughly updated platform with the engine pushed back say, three inches, the battery in the trunk, and a stock CAI? And, let us not forget the all important Perf/Norm switch, only this time it'll control valve timing. Perf gets you aggressive cams, Norm gets low rev torque and good fuel efficiency. I see it as VVT-i with guts.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
ProDarwin
Master Member

Also, only offer automatics in the cars with less performance emphais. No S-Series autos, no single cams, no redline automatics either. Oh yeah, and give the S series a 40 or 35mm offset and 205 - 215s stock.
-Travis
Old 09-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #7
THX712517

I agree there. You could get a 2.0 economy version of the Ecotec with a CVT with programmable 'gear' ratios, and that would be it for automatic transmissions. As for manuals, five speeds and sixes all around. 5M standard, 6M no-price option. All cars get independent suspension tuned on the 'Ring, same as the Redline.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
DerDrache
DerDrache is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Give me a sunroof. Then you can have my vote.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I agree with ProDarwin. The S-series must return with more powerful 1.9 and newer options. I like the deletable ABS! Excellent.
'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy
Old 09-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #10
THX712517

Options

Sunroof
Onstar
Advanced safety package (airbags, awd, etc)
Performance package (supercharged 2.0 Ecotec, catback exhaust, CAI, LSD, 16"X8" lightweight alloy wheels, close ratio six speed with short shifter, Recaro buckets, extensive body lightening)
Leather
Audio upgrade (I, II, III levels)

And then a huge list of deletable options.

Would you prefer an S-Series with the original platform, or a Delta II chassis? (Something stiffer, lighter, stronger than the Ion has.)

Basically, taking the best ideas from across the Saturn line, from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, VW, Audi and others, and jamming them into one car for less money. And, although this isn't related to the cars themselves, I would like to see the Saturn/GM relationship redefined. Saturn does its own thing, and just takes money and parts from GM. Sound good?

Old 09-07-2003, 02:47 PM   #11
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

I want flip-up headlights on my ION! And deffinately do something about the ION's seats. I don't really care about the vinyl headrests but the seats themselves look like they came out of a Cavalier! I would also like to see a better steering wheel design, like the ones found in VW's. Another thing I miss is the rear tail light extensions from the SL2's. I'm actually quite supprised they weren't on the ION3's.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
THX712517

How about flip-up halogen headlights on the soon to be redesigned QuadCoupe (now with a seven inch shorter wheelbase and two less doors!) and HID non-retractables on the Ion sedan? A three spoke steering wheel with leather, designed and sculpted for the discriminating driver. The same size as the current wheel, but with a fatter rim and a better-integrated airbag pod. And for the tail light extensions, it would be entirely possible for an updated, sleek version on the 3, a thin chrome bar for the 2, and stock for the 1.

Seats across the board will be designed for comfort, and for holding the person in place, as well as having adjustable height, lumbar support, and angle. An option for heated and cooled seats with internal fans. all headrests will be made out of a far more suitable material than vinyl, and in a more pleasing pattern.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #13
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

Everything sounds excellent, but how much?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:01 PM   #14
THX712517

Hmm. All this content would mean either cutting profit to lower prices, or bumping the Ion up into a new price bracket. I personally am of the thought that if you price a product cheap, many people will buy it, giving you a good profit total. Mass production certainly helps that point of view. This uber S-Series/next-gen Ion would be Saturn's strongest seller, the economy car. It needs to be priced affordably, with a lot of content for the dollar. The L-Series/ V could be priced maybe a grand or so higher, and the Vue could definitely be a money maker in today's SUV-crazed economy. And one way to make more profit is to build the cars more efficiently. Mass production techniques will have to be refined, using the newest trends and 'parts on demand' building. Let the workers improve their tools, and everyone will undoubtedly be happier. We need that unique way of coexisting with the union again.

Old 09-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
ProDarwin
Master Member

Oh yeah, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but put more plastic in the cars. All the body panels should be plastic, except the hood (just like 1st gen wagons). But make the paint molded along with the plastic so it doesn't exist just on the surface.
-Travis
Old 09-07-2003, 07:42 PM   #16
THX712517

I remember reading about that in an earlier post. Do you think people would settle for matte? Either way, finding a high-gloss paint-in-polymer would be essential. Quarters, doors, roof, and trunk will be polymer, hood will be aluminum. Weight reduction is important here, as is dent resistance. No L sedan steel quarters here.

Solar glass all around, to reduce interior heat on hot days. Five link independent rear suspension, double wishbone front suspension for all cars. And, of course, a V8 engine. Either the 5.7 stolen shamelessly from the Corvette, or a new 4.0 liter with an 86mm stroke, 86mm bore, lost-foam cast aluminum block, aluminum hemispherical heads, chromoly sleeves, needle bearings, and low rotational mass.

And, for those who crave power, a very large amount of performance support from Saturn, including crate engines, adapter kits, transmissions, etc. And, I was thinking of this: Every three years, anyone can enter a contest held in Spring Hill to become the new Saturn-sponsored racing team. One for drag-racing, another for SCCA, etc.

Old 09-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #17
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

And just what kind of prices do you plan to ask for these cars with all of that constant R&D, rapid product updates, vehicle content to the max, and high performance upgrades?

I realize that this isn't a serious poll, but your desires would break the bank before the first car hit the lot.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #18
THX712517

No kidding, I'm a greedy little egomaniac. Hence, using GM for the only thing it's good for: A wallet. Base cars will really be base. 5-10% price reduction on base cars with ABS, a radio, AC, and a five speed stick. 5-10% increases on newer cars with more features. Squeeze every penny in mass production. Major vehicle redesigns can be pushed back from three years to five, with constant updates in between. Platform renewal every ten years, as compared to 13 for the S-Series.

Start with a dream, and work your way to a reality. Saturn's job is to hook young people on domestic metal. Then they'll consider different brands from GM. With the profit GM makes on its SUVs, Saturn can lose SOME money on its economy cars. The V and Vue, Relay and whatever the heck else will make money.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:42 PM   #19
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by 03VUEAWDVTI
And just what kind of prices do you plan to ask for these cars with all of that constant R&D, rapid product updates, vehicle content to the max, and high performance upgrades?

I realize that this isn't a serious poll, but your desires would break the bank before the first car hit the lot.
He can just do what the American car manufacturers did in the 80s when they were in trouble. Run crying to the government and get them to put restrictions on the Japanese.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:12 PM   #20
THX712517

Nah, that's too airlines for me. Just need to work harder.

Closed Thread