SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
355vette
355vette is on a distinguished road

Default car won't turn over after af23

I have an 03 ion and i did the af23 swap. I have the harness in every connection is in but the car won't turn over. I'm getting no power the starter in the start position. I can jump the starter and it turns over but I'm not going to start it like this. Where do i look good common issues. The car started fine before the swap
355vette is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2
Default Re: car won't turn over after af23

not an expert but I would imagine that the ecm is seeing a different tcm for the af33 trans and it knows it is not programmed for it..and the tcm has a different vin in it
shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
355vette
355vette is on a distinguished road

Shouldnt make a difference with this swap. Its been done without swapping ecm to match a tcm
355vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I thought Ions use Passlock to disable the start circuit. I think Passlock is preventing starting. Possibly another ignition switch issue?
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I thought Ions use Passlock to disable the start circuit. I think Passlock is preventing starting. Possibly another ignition switch issue?
Passlock only disables the fuel supply. The starter is still allowed to turn over.

Make sure you are using the park/neutral switch and shift cable for the AF23 transmission. Both parts are different than those used on the CVT. The starting circuit is disabled if the computer sees that the transmission is not in park or neutral. I suspect this is where the problem lies.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 48K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From the '03 Ion service manual;

Body Control Module (BCM)

The BCM contains the logic of the theft deterrent system. The BCM provides the battery positive voltage to operate the Passlockô Sensor. The BCM also measures the voltage of the security sensor signal circuit. The voltage measured will indicate whether the Passlockô Sensor has been activated and whether the resistance value from the sensor is a valid value or the tamper value. If voltage measured is in the valid range, the BCM compares this voltage, voltage code, to a previously learned voltage code. If the voltage codes match, the BCM sends a class 2 message containing a password to the ECM. If the voltage codes do not match, or the voltage is in the Tamper range, or there is a circuit fault, the BCM will not send the correct password to the ECM, and the vehicle will not start.

Engine Control Module

The engine control module (ECM) contains the remainder of the logic of the theft deterrent system. If a class 2 message containing a valid password is received from the BCM, the ECM will allow starter engagement. If the ECM does not receive a class 2 message, or receives a class 2 message with an incorrect password, the engine will not crank.

Its presumed the Park/Neutral safety switch is functioning but there's always an exception to the rule especially if major repairs required wiring disconnect/connects or misadjustment.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote