SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
rinyotsu
rinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Unknown problem

I got my 2002 L200 back with a new engine after the old one had the timing chain break. Ever since I've had this horrible jerking/shuddering (if you will) while stopped at stop signs or stop lights. I drove it around to try to trouble shoot the problem. If i press the accelerater pedal, the engine will accelerate, sputter, accelerate, sputter and so on until I release the pedal. If i accelerated above 4000rpm the "service engine" light would blink, indicating a misfire in the engine as told by the manual. I put Heet in my gas tank on my last fill up so it should have gotten better but it hasn't and I think its gotten worse.
When I stopped and checked the engine while it was running, I noticed my harmonic balancer was wobbling about a millimeter as if it was loose while idling, when I gave the engine some gas it would straighten out and start wobbling as the rpms dropped.
Would a damaged harmonic balancer be the cause of a wobbling balancer, horrible shuddering while in idle (including neutral, slightly less in park), not being able to accelerate smoothly, and a "service engine" light to be on (I'm going to try to get to O'Reilly auto parts tomorrow to see if I can borrow a code reader).

Thanks to my schedule at work I won't be able to get to the shop that changed my engine til tuesday. If you think I should get up there sooner, tell me and I can arrange to get my car up there asap. I'll update as soon as an update comes.

Last edited by rinyotsu; 12-20-2009 at 01:43 AM.
rinyotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Unknown problem

I'm not sure of this problem but don't rev the engine to cause the SES light to blink; a flashing SES indicator is telling you that the catalytic converter is in danger of burning out and permanent damage can result - replacement of the catcon. A steady SES indicator is better than a flashing one. Bringing the car back to the repair shop for a follow up may correct any new issues. The harmonic balancer wouldn't affect engine running.

There may be a severe misfire going on with cylinders not firing, allowing raw fuel into the catcon - too much raw fuel will ignite and burn out the catcon if allowed to continue.The misfire can be from a faulty ignition module, the small aluminum finned box sitting in the ignition coil pack covering the top of the engine.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

There appears to be more than one thing going wrong here. The harmonic balancer is essential for a smooth idle. It should not wobble. It may be bad or have been improperly installed. There is an inner and outer part of the HB pulley with a rubber layer in between. If failed, you should be able to see this by examining the rubber. The missing/fuel cutout etc. issue is separate.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
rinyotsu
rinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I went to O'reilly today after work to borrow a code reader. Cylinder 2 was misfiring. Luckily the mechanic I got my engine from taught me how to check my spark plugs. About 10 minutes of tinkering and it was fine. Tomorrow I'm going to stretch all the springs so they all make good connections.
Also, I'm gonna to take it to the shop to check the harmonic balancer since it is still wobbling.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
rinyotsu

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Update- I've fixed it and have had no more problems, runs like my old engine and my car is kickin' horses again! I've been making sure she's fine (yes, my car is my girl, lol, laugh it up). The balancer is wobbling only about 0.4-0.5mm (i see these things, lol). Should I still check it or is my car good for now?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Finding the misfire makes all the difference doen't it? Don't fix what's not broke.............
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote