SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Mikey07!
Mikey07! is on a distinguished road

Default Service traction?!?! help

So i have a 2007 saturn aura ex with the 3.5 v6 and the service traction light comes on and then tells me traction off, and now the ses light in on and the car is shifting hard in 3rd and 4th gear,

I have 43k on the car and i wanted to know if somthing like this would be coverd under the 5 year 100k thing?
Mikey07! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Service traction?!?! help

depends whats wrong. maybe it is and maybe it isnt
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Mikey07!
Mikey07! is on a distinguished road

OK so i took and car in and they dealer told me that it is a mass air flow ses was off and they fixed it for 48$!!!! thats great
Mikey07! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey07! View Post
OK so i took and car in and they dealer told me that it is a mass air flow ses was off and they fixed it for 48$!!!! thats great
The MAF should be considered either part of the powertrain or more likely, integral to the emission system, in either case, should be under warranty until 100k miles ... too bad they didn't see it that way.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Ray M
Ray M is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
The MAF should be considered either part of the powertrain or more likely, integral to the emission system, in either case, should be under warranty until 100k miles ... too bad they didn't see it that way.
From the EPA website "For 1995 and newer model year vehicles, emission control and emission related parts are warranted for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use. Specified major emission-control components are warranted for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use."

each state can add there own requirements,
2008 Saturn Aura XE
Techno Gray
3.5 V6
Ray M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray M View Post
From the EPA website "For 1995 and newer model year vehicles, emission control and emission related parts are warranted for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use. Specified major emission-control components are warranted for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use."

each state can add there own requirements,
Interesting, my wife's 2003 Jetta with 75k miles had similar emission-related repair a few months ago. VW paid the full tab. GM warranted emissions stuff for something like 100k miles for a while, maybe they've backed off recently.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
johnwashere
johnwashere is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey07! View Post
So i have a 2007 saturn aura ex with the 3.5 v6 and the service traction light comes on and then tells me traction off, and now the ses light in on and the car is shifting hard in 3rd and 4th gear,

I have 43k on the car and i wanted to know if somthing like this would be coverd under the 5 year 100k thing?
Mines doing the same thing. I have about 48k miles on it and have owned it for almost 4 years. The service traction comes up almost every day now for a few seconds and shifts gears hard while its on. Then it usually disappears within a minute. Im hoping this will be fixed under warranty (I live in Ohio) or be a cheap fix.
johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
Interesting, my wife's 2003 Jetta with 75k miles had similar emission-related repair a few months ago. VW paid the full tab. GM warranted emissions stuff for something like 100k miles for a while, maybe they've backed off recently.
FYI:

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during
the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use because the vehicle
failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components
are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
johnwashere
johnwashere is on a distinguished road

My car was doing this and I just got a letter from saturn about this issue. Theres a problem with the shift cable on many auras and they are doing a no charge fix. They will also reimburse you if you paid to have this fixed in the past. Il be calling to make an appointment on mine soon

Looks like they talked about it here recently:
Nevermnd, I cant post links here yet
johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
TroubleFree
TroubleFree is on a distinguished road

What is the shift cable you speak of?

My saturn is doing this and is throwing p0171 and p0174 so i think its the MAF under reporting the amount of air and the oxygen sensor seeing more.

is this a reasonable assumption?
TroubleFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

4 speed auto auras had shift cable problems on some of them. Gave it a longer warranty. Can’t imagine anything covered anymore. Think if I remember it was a 10 year 120,000 mile deal but no auras are less than 10 years old.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #12
TroubleFree
TroubleFree is on a distinguished road

How is a MAF connected to traction control? I can't see how they connect at all?

Also why is a traction control fault causing the transmission to shift hard into gears? I don't see that connection either.

Thanks
TroubleFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleFree View Post
How is a MAF connected to traction control? I can't see how they connect at all?

Also why is a traction control fault causing the transmission to shift hard into gears? I don't see that connection either.

Thanks
It's not but the ECM takes input for dozens of sensors and if some are out of range for whatever reason, the ECM will disable systems like ABS,TC and even anti-theft if certain sensors inform of an issue. Since a bad or out of range MAF can adversely affect driveability it's conceivable that could happen but I would expect you having driving issue (like hard shifts which you note).
Battery connections at all points is essential in my experience with my 200,000+ mile 07 XR. Clean and shiny connections at the battery and terminations has been my experience with dashboard ''christmas light's' popping up out of nowhere. An array of dash lights almost surly the result of the trans not shifting smoothly, ECM took away TC-a good scanner can read the MAF in real time, if the MAF is in fact not right for whatever reason (poor reference signal could be battery or battery connections again) the trans is very dependent on a properly functioning MAF.
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleFree View Post
What is the shift cable you speak of?

My saturn is doing this and is throwing p0171 and p0174 so i think its the MAF under reporting the amount of air and the oxygen sensor seeing more.

is this a reasonable assumption?
You may have more than one problem and my have to address each one separately.

1-You're asking a question to a 9yr old thread. Often when members post problems, many simply go away without replying to leave their thread open. It would be great if every thread was closed out with a resolution. I doubt you'll receive an answer about the shift cable.

2-P0171-System Too Lean Bank 1

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

3-P0174-System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0174
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Both seem to have the maf sensor as a common point. Unless you have baseline info on a normal maf sensor output from idle, it may be difficult to determine if your maf sensor is worn out, faulty or simply leaking air from a damaged/loose flexible intake tube between maf sensor and throttle body. All maf sensors requires a sealed intake air tube between it and throttle for correct airflow measurement otherwise a skewed sensor output can throw off the EFI system. A vacuum leak between maf sensor and throttle as well as intake manifold/hoses can create a lean condition (more air than fuel). These two errors seem to point to either a maf sensor or vacuum leak common to both sides of the V6 engine. These two errors have nothing to do with traction control or abs indicators as the abs module is completely separate and functions regardless of engine issues since the brake system is not part of engine functions other than using the vacuum to operate the power brake boost unit.

Maf sensor are displayed on readers as airflow in grams of air per second or voltage. Here's one site for background info; https://www.aa1car.com/library/maf_sensors.htm.

Abs and traction control are part of the brake system. If abs/tc fails internal self tests, one or both indicators turn on (not flash during emergency braking or loss of traction control situations like accelerating on slick surfaces). If the abs or tc indicator flashes during braking or accelerating, the abs/tc unit is operating as designed. If the abs or tc indicator turns on and remains on, the abs/tc module failed and will not interfere with braking (no abs or tc). Intermittent indications of abs or tc while driving and braking normally may indicate external issues with wiring to each wheel speed sensor, wheel speed sensor(s) or reluctor(s). Reluctors are the machined teeth on each drive shaft or wheel hub for wheel speed sensors to detect the gaps, generating signals the abs module uses to determine wheel slippage during acceleration or braking. Electronics does the rest. Engine or xmission issues are not part of abs functions.

Hard shifts are usually related to either engine or xmission faults.

4-Sometimes false error codes are generated. When in doubt, start from the beginning with main power. What's standby and engine idling battery voltages? Good batteries display 12.5v on standby, 14.5v with engine idling. Three battery connections are crucial to power being distributed; red positive cable between battery and starter, two negative cables - one between battery and chassis, one between chassis and engine block.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #15
pgpgsr
pgpgsr is on a distinguished road

09 Aura. Getting Gear Shift locked in park, service Traction control, service ESC, and brake light problems.

I know that this was suppose to be fixed by recall 13036, but I have had it done twice.

I called Saturn customer service and they said that it was up to the dealership to do the recall for the 3rd time.

Can anyone suggest any way to fix this?
pgpgsr is offline   Reply With Quote