SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center

Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Spam

I love this Forum, It has helped me tremendously with my L200 repairs. But IMO The Forum needs another or more Moderators to clear and keep this crappy spam off of it. I understand Charlie is a busy man and can not get to it all but this spam makes the Forum look bad to new members that might see it and say I will not be part of that kind of Forum. Charlie, If you read this I am retired and I am The admin and mod of other Forums. If you need help just ask, I am sure there are many people on here that would be glad to help.
https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776. We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. A Democracy is Two Wolfs and a sheep deciding what is for Lunch!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Spam

Maybe patching vbulletin to a version not out of date by 2 years would help as well. There are some anti-spam features...
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Sad Re: Spam

This is getting out of hand. I was going to donate to the forum but all this spam is just making the forum look like a spam only site. Yes I know I can choose not to be on here but this Forum has all the best knowledgeable people of all the Saturn forums.
https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776. We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. A Democracy is Two Wolfs and a sheep deciding what is for Lunch!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have no knowledge of what kinds of tools exist for a web-host to control or block spam ads. I certainly agree that if this web-host's site is out of date relative to such features then they need to take care of that. We members have the ability to anonymously flag spam messages by clicking on the exclamation point [!] at the bottom left of the message box. (I've been doing this many times lately. It helps us keep SaturnFans clean of this junk.)

What I do know is that this most recent number of spam attacks is nothing new here at SaturnFans. What's actually been unusual is how many years it's been since the site has been hit like this - about four years or more to the best of my recollection. So while this is a major irritant for all of us please recall that "this, too, shall pass."
333,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 12-08-2019 at 12:53 PM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
...So while this is a major irritant for all of us please recall that "this, too, shall pass."
I have started treating this forum's spam like a child having a tantrum in a store - just walk away and continue shopping.

I get far too much insight and information on this forum to do less than tolerate it.
Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's better and maybe wiser to report spam using the exclamation box in the offender's name box to silently report it to Charlie the Admin. He does act on it but hasn't recently. Patience rather than posting a reply in the spammer's post to push spam up to the top of the forum list. Ignoring spam simply drops it down the list to eventually go away as long as everyone refrains from posting their displeasure in each spam thread. Posting displeasure in any spam thread automatically pushes the ad to the top of the forum list for more free advertising. Many have refrained and it shows as hardly anyone responds after reading/translating ads and spam. The most offensive posts are the blatant ads for illegal currency with anyone seriously interested in undermining America's monetary system by flooding the planet with false paper currency. The same applies to foreign currency to undermine other nations. Who knows as I already pm'd Charlie about it and wonder if this is a FBI/CIA/Secret Service attempt to bait anyone under false pretenses............
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Dsaturn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I do report it and after your advise not to reply to it I do not. Like I said, I understand Charlie is very busy but could add mods to help out.
I met a new to Saturn driver the other day and suggested this site. He said he already looked at the site but all the spam turned him off.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I pushed the exclamation point on one of the spam posts. Would reporting them all be any help? Probably not, I usually ignore and move on to what is interesting.
2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

There are ways like akismet and stopforumspam service and honeypot IP checking but you have to install plugins, etc for them to function.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
I pushed the exclamation point on one of the spam posts. Would reporting them all be any help? Probably not, I usually ignore and move on to what is interesting.
In the past when I used the exclamation box in the offenders name to silently report them to Charlie, he acted within a few days. This hasn't been the case recently. Never give up. Something worth fighting for against offensive practices needs everyone to consider negative outcomes if nothing is done.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

What do they even want? Itís not even readable. Pretty obvious
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Google translation services. It works to translate the entire page.

I use my tablet and laptop. My Samsung tablet requires (I prefer Google) clicking the three dots lined up vertically, on the top right corner of the screen after opening the foreign language ad/spamt. In the list is 'translate'. My tablet opens a small window at the bottom of the screen with English ~ English and more vertical dots. Clicking on the dots opens another box asking which way to translate. After some trial and error due to this not being friendly, Google translates the entire page (select Chinese to English) - the Chinese
page is translated, selling fake university documents. A similar setup with laptop (presuming the same for pc use) works a little differently to ask Google to translate the foreign language to English.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Part of the issue is that Saturnfans is running Vbulletin version 3.8.9. The current version is 5.5.5 .
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Clearly needs an update as sc2 said.

I can also volunteer to mod if help is needed.
I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Dsaturn

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Holly molly the board is just full of it today. Every forum has nothing but spam. Charlie you really need to get some help cleaning this **** up.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #16
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
Charlie you really need to get some help cleaning this **** up.
Or just modify things where the first post requires approval. It wasn't popular on 6S and people griped about their first post requiring approval but we also haven't permitted SPAM to go out to public either and have been able to do a great job of filtering it and keeping it off our site.

There's also features I mentioned like Akismet, etc. but with this amount of SPAM it's possibly happening via a SQL injection or other form of automation that the antiquated VB install is vulnerable to.

Then again I've stated exactly this several times over the years and it gets ignored so hopefully this board doesn't go the way of TSN and disappear with no backups in place.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I sent Charlie an email.

The "first post requires approval" works but suffers from the same issue that the current spammers aren't being removed - needs a human to do the work.

I don't have a lot of spare time but will be happy to ban spammers as well.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
nice.hat
nice.hat is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaturn View Post
I met a new to Saturn driver the other day and suggested this site. He said he already looked at the site but all the spam turned him off.
No kidding. I just reactivated my account today only to find the Ion forum totally trashed with spam posted in the past few hours. Not auspicious timing on my part! Until someone gets this forum under control, I really don't see the point in posting.
nice.hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I sent Charlie an email.

The "first post requires approval" works but suffers from the same issue that the current spammers aren't being removed - needs a human to do the work.

I don't have a lot of spare time but will be happy to ban spammers as well.
It requires less work than you'd think You can assign that permission within VB while not giving ANY other permissions like banning, etc to that same user.

So you could, for example, make it so that users over 2 years old registration, 100 posts, certain reputation score automatically are granted that ability to "approve" posts. I know this is the case because I've implemented it on a couple of different forums over the years, not just on 6S.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD
Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice.hat View Post
No kidding. I just reactivated my account today only to find the Ion forum totally trashed with spam posted in the past few hours. Not auspicious timing on my part! Until someone gets this forum under control, I really don't see the point in posting.
Don't let spammers preventing posts. Just post a new thread. We're adult enough to wade past this.