SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
ReynoldsWrapped
ReynoldsWrapped is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Redline MANY, MANY ISSUES

First of all, I bought my new Saturn Sky Redline last February 2008. In April (2 months later), my daughter and her date were going to drive it to prom. All of the sudden it starts over heating and smoking and I smelled antifreeze...to make a long story short, I had to have it towed an hour away, and it had 3-THREE!!!! hose clamps loose. That was only the beginning of my problems. My father, who is a mechanic of 35 years drove it just after I got it and said the rear end had too much "play" in it and that it was making a high sound as you let off the gas. Again, we took it in to our Saturn dealer and they had to replace the whole rear end. It still sounds just as loud now. The latest problem started about a month ago.....when I go to turn, or hit an unlevel area I hear what sounds like a giant spring sound that makes a loud "boing" sound. I dont know what is getting bound up under there, but something isnt right. Also, I don't know if anyone else has had the turbo make the loud ticking type of sound, but mine is loud. The dealer gave me a big paper on how its "supposed" to do that, but I dont recall it being that loud when I bought it. I have just tried to keep on top of these things because I am beginning to think I bought a lemon. Everytime we take it in I am careful to get paperwork documenting the problem and what they have replaced. Also, the key fobs are cheap and break easy if you try to change out the battery. Hell, they cant even put a battery in there that lasts more than 6 months!!! I love it when it runs, but its an expensive car to be in the shop so much. I probably will stick with Toyotas....we've had 3 of them with no problems. GM's have way too many issues for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ReynoldsWrapped's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ReynoldsWrapped reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ReynoldsWrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2008 Redline MANY, MANY ISSUES

Yeah cars with no soul or performance don't tend to have as many issues as cars with some power. Good luck finding something like the Sky at Toyota

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Another one of these who wants to blow toyota.

Here's an idea, go to a different dealer. People want to ***** and moan when it's more than likely the incompetence of the particular dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynoldsWrapped View Post
I probably will stick with Toyotas....we've had 3 of them with no problems. GM's have way too many issues for me.
Those problems are awful, but you do realize there are just as many Toyotas, Hondas, and the like that people buy every year and that are similarly problematic--especially recent Toyotas. It's understandable when you go through such a thing why you'd never want another of the same brand, but reality is different than emotion in this case.

You have at least the beginnings of a lemon/repurchase case, depending on the number of visits, ongoing issues, etc. You may need more repetition of any one or few things but it's possible, and still a shame you've had to go through any of this--most buyers of the same vehicle (certainly only a small handful are on this forum) have fine vehicles and are pleased. Just don't sign on the Koolaid line of other companies & brands as the only thing you'll ever be able to drive, problem free.

Shame, but it happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
...it had 3-THREE!!!! hose clamps loose. ....
That shouldn't happen. I too would have been POd.

Quote:
the rear end had too much "play" in it and that it was making a high sound as you let off the gas. Again, we took it in to our Saturn dealer and they had to replace the whole rear end. It still sounds just as loud now.....
That's too little preload on the pinion bearing allowing the pinion gear to move in and out of the ring gear. Some hypoid gears just make a little noise. A mild howl on decel is not all that uncommon and doesn't hurt anything.

Quote:
I hear what sounds like a giant spring sound that makes a loud "boing" sound. ...
Shouldn't be too hard for the service dept to figure that one out. The car uses coil-overs all around, so the spring only moves in compression and tension and has no radial movement like a strut would. Could be some binding in the sway bar.

Quote:
the turbo make the loud ticking type of sound, but mine is loud. The dealer gave me a big paper on how its "supposed" to do that, but I dont recall it being that loud when I bought it.
It's not the turbo. It's the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injection. It is normal. You hear it better depending on the environment.

Quote:
....I probably will stick with Toyotas....we've had 3 of them with no problems. GM's have way too many issues for me.
I'm sure you'd be much happier with Toyota. They're perfect. Every one ever built is still on the road today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
Good luck finding something like the Sky at Toyota
Or find something better at Mazda.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Or find something better at Mazda.
Like what? The miata or whatever it's called now? The styling is nowhere near the Sky's level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Like what? The miata or whatever it's called now? The styling is nowhere near the Sky's level.
styling, shmyling, who cares?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
My father, who is a mechanic of 35 years drove it just after I got it and said the rear end had too much "play" in it and that it was making a high sound as you let off the gas. Again, we took it in to our Saturn dealer and they had to replace the whole rear end. It still sounds just as loud now.
This "high sound as you let off the gas" sounds as if it is the normal pressure release that comes out of the blowoff valve. The turbocharger builds up pressure, and at certain points it needs to release. Letting off the gas usually does it on mine. Although I have found that I drive a certian way just to hear that pressure release sometimes.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if anyone else has had the turbo make the loud ticking type of sound, but mine is loud. The dealer gave me a big paper on how its "supposed" to do that, but I dont recall it being that loud when I bought it.
When I test drove a red line sky back in October 2007, it did that. My RL has always done that. Albeit it has gotten a little bit louder. It was as if one day i just heard it more than before. Although I do admit that, at least in my case, it might be more of a psychological factor now that I distinctly heard it and now can automatically notice it.

Quote:
Also, the key fobs are cheap and break easy if you try to change out the battery. Hell, they cant even put a battery in there that lasts more than 6 months!!! I love it when it runs, but its an expensive car to be in the shop so much. I probably will stick with Toyotas....we've had 3 of them with no problems. GM's have way too many issues for me.
I've had my car since November 1, 2007. My key fab is just running out of battery life. And I come and go a lot. So unless you enter/exit your car a lot more than any normal driver you probably got a cr@p battery. I've examined the casing and, yes, it looks like if someone were to bluntly try to force it open it would break. It looks almost like you have to know where the tabs are in order to be able to open it properly, so as not to break the tabs. Luckily, I have my spare key fab that has only been used maybe six times in it's life. You really only need to use one at a time anyway. So next time i go into the dealership, I'm going to have them fix it for me. The entire car is under bumper-to-bumper warranty remember, and the key fab is essentially part of the "factory supplied" car.

And yeah, maybe you did get a lemon, but to label all GM cars as having "way too many issues" just based on one bad experience is good thing to do. It's like saying you'll never eat another apple again, because you choked on a seed once when you were six. It's stereotyping the entire conglomerate based on one sample.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
reedred
reedred is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY Red Line

Quote:
The latest problem started about a month ago.....when I go to turn, or hit an unlevel area I hear what sounds like a giant spring sound that makes a loud "boing" sound. I dont know what is getting bound up under there, but something isnt right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Shouldn't be too hard for the service dept to figure that one out. The car uses coil-overs all around, so the spring only moves in compression and tension and has no radial movement like a strut would. Could be some binding in the sway bar.
Gerry's right. Cold weather (assuming) + plus horrible creaking noise = swaybar bushings. The dealer should swap them out for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reedred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reedred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
the MX-5 Miata has been in production for 20 years. I'd take longevity and durability over styling

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The original post looks like a troll to me. Just somebody (1st and only) posting to say something negative about a Saturn, and to say that Toyota is better. You can get a "lemon" with any brand, and looking at Toyota's recent quality history - you have a higher probability of having problems with a Toyota than with your GM or Ford. Them's the facts, anything else is a biased opinion.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My dad bought an LS in 2000 (first year of the L series, before they became the LS). He had lots of problems with the coolant system. The dealership tried to fix it numerous times, they were about to give him a new car even. Well, he finally discovered that the coolant full line was misleading. It said FULL making it seem that was the line. But, under it was an arrow that went down to ANOTHER line. So, the dealership kept overfilling it. That's Saturn of Puyallup, they've been great to us. So, just talk to the dealership, research the Lemon Law, and bring it up to them next problem.

Also, the fob batteries will die fairly quickly if they're cold... all batteries die quicker in low temperature.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
07Redline
07Redline is on a distinguished road

Stick with the car... I did and I had the some problems. 2000 mi rear end leaked like all of them did. I am on my second motor, computer and turbo on my 07 redline. After 7000 miles on it the third cyl went to crap and all the warnings came on went into reduced power mode. They had me a new motor in it in 3 days. Then i was driving to work and it went back into reduced power mode towed to dealer turned out it was the crank shaft sensor. But i am glad i stuck with it. I thought there for a while I had a lemon. Hopefully tomorrow or beginning of next week will have the new GM upgrade on it as I am waiting on the parts to come in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 07Redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 07Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
07Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

I have owned more cars than I can remember since I bought my first one 40 years ago. The most unreliable car I've ever owned was an MGA, but it was my first car, and I paid $500.00 for it so it was a "beater" before I got it. #2 on the list of bad cars was a Toyota. Blew a head gasket one week after I moved to California and left the Toyota with my wife in up state New York to finish out her teaching responsibilities. I begged the Toyota dealer to do a complete engine overhaul, but they refused insisting that all it needed was a head gasket at 35,000 miles. At 40,000 miles it started smoking. I pulled the engine and found the rings in #4 cylinder in multiple pieces. I rebuilt the engine at 40,000 miles, and unloaded the pos at 80,000 before it could fail again!

Some years later, the boss's secretary wanted to get a new car. She bought a Toyota because of their reputation. 6 months later, she was sorry! She had more problems with the Toyota than the old junker she traded in for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote