SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General

Old 10-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #1
rickwhoo
rickwhoo is on a distinguished road

Default New Sky Owner

Today I bought a 2007 Sky 2.4l with manual trans with only 25k miles on it. I paid 12,800 for it. The dealer had it listed for $17,401. It's very clean too. I haven't driven stick in over 22 years and I really miss it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3564.jpg (211.8 KB, 7 views)
rickwhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
rickwhoo

Default Re: New Sky Owner

I just noticed no spare tire... I do see the air compressor too. Need to keep a tire repair kit in the trunk I guess. Interesting.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwhoo View Post
I just noticed no spare tire... I do see the air compressor too. Need to keep a tire repair kit in the trunk I guess. Interesting.
heh, interesting is one way to put it.... i'm not fond of the "engineering" approach of omitting the spare to save weight. seems fine until you're stuck somewhere with a flat... earlier this year i ran over a piece of wood with a nail in it in janus (2000 sc2) and was wondering for honestly an embarassingly long period of driving what that clicking noise with each revolution was. i was starting to suspect the brake rotor/pad on that wheel, and yes i'll admit i had not done a thorough inspection of the tire, whereupon i surely would have discovered the nail... when it lost pressure on the way to the grocery store.

i was all confident and ready to throw on the spare, lifted up the trunk floor, and was presented with an absolutely shredded spare i'd totally forgotten about. there had been a previous issue that ended up blowing out the spare years prior and i'd totally forgotten about it, only to be reminded harshly when i really needed it. forgetfulness and lack of preparedness is one thing, not even having a spot for a spare in the first place is quite another. so yes, i would most certainly keep a tire plug kit in the trunk.

i don't have much interest in these kappa cars (they have metal body panels, not much of a saturn if you ask me) but i thought it was worth commenting on this particular post. the modern extinction of the spare tire is just ridiculous, and nothing drives that point home like thinking you have one and then lifting the trunk floor to find it more destroyed than your punctured tire. it's just good to know there's a way to keep driving back there if you need it after running over something sharp.

as a final note, after that experience i like to keep a tire plug kit and a good spare in each car i drive.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwhoo View Post
If you haven't done it, break out that electric tire inflator and use it to pressurized tires to be sure it actually works otherwise finding yourself with a flat and a dead compressor might be a costly tow unless tow operators fix flats with plugs and have compressors.

If you buy a tire plug tool kit, be sure to buy the plain black ones, not the shiny chromy ones. Cheap shiny ones break. Sturdy black ones for a little more money will last forever and will pay for itself the first time you plug a hole in a tire. Two tools; a round reamer to clean and make holes ready for a plug (the sticky rubber coated rope) and the large needle holding the plug to insert into the tire. Both T handled. A sharp knife or box cutter with a sharp blade to trim off excess plug above the tread. Follow up with the compressor.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
Heatherethan00
Heatherethan00 is on a distinguished road

Awesome
Heatherethan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
rickwhoo

It's definitely a fun car to drive. Handles very well too. Driving at 100mph is smooth and feels safe too. It actually didn't even feel like i was going that fast.