SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL
Default Fuel Pump Failure Rate/Average Lifespan?

My 02 Saturn SL currently has about 143k on it, still on the original fuel pump. My question is, what's the average lifespan of a fuel pump on the S-Series?

I'll add, I never drive on less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and haven't during the course of my owning the vehicle, as I know that the fuel in the tank helps keep the pump cool and prolongs its longevity.

I do realize though that fuel pumps can go at any time and are fairly unpredictable as far as that goes, just wondering what kind of lifespan you higher mileage guys have gotten from your fuel pumps. No problems happening with mine, either, just trying to be proactive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimmy123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Fuel Pump Failure Rate/Average Lifespan?

The ones in my cars (all Saturn S series listed) never had a failure. Most recent 99 SL2 car totaled at approx 230k miles, 01 SL2 car sold at 212k, 96 SL2 car sold at 180k. I knew complete history of every car either from new or very close to new. None had any issue
Come to think of it I have not had a FP issue on ANY car other than many years ago my 1993 Chrysler Town & Country had one fail at about 210k but at the time I replaced the pump I found the rear frame rails so rusted out I did not trust the car to safely protect my wife and children so I scrapped it. Sadly the body and exterior looked mint. Structurally the van was toast

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My '99 has 211K. My '98 has 164K. I've owned the '99 since new and it has the original pump. Not so sure of the history of the '98 but it seems to have had minimal maintenance. Most of it was bad.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I think the only FP with a well known failure rate are the '97's; even then it's not truly the FP that fails, it's the check valve that keeps fuel in the lines when you turn the engine off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

311 k miles on mine, and last time I checked the fuel pressure, it was still fine.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Come to think of it I have not had a FP issue on ANY car
Same here. Zero fuel pump failures. Several cars over 200k miles, owned a couple of cars over a decade with no fuel pump failures

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
PNW3
PNW3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1
1997 SW2

I replaced fuel pump , filter sock in 2K SW2 210k. Thinking low flow under demand.
Was a floating failure of plugged up catalyst. Pulled tank and was shocked at almost nothing for junk in bottom of tank either. Sock was a little dirty, not like as I expected. I was cheap and instead of complete pump, sensor assy bought pump only and replaced it using existing old parts too. Cheap fix....if the wrong portion of failure. Be careful of mid year CA cars I had wrong charcoal vent can and lines was a mid year model I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PNW3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PNW3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PNW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I had a 97 SL2 with over 210K when totalled. Never had fuel pump issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I think the only FP with a well known failure rate are the '97's; even then it's not truly the FP that fails, it's the check valve that keeps fuel in the lines when you turn the engine off.
Yes, my 97 SW2 has that annoying problem.
1) Two or three trys after sitting a few minutes shut off when running errands. (Waiting while the key is in the on position and pump running before activating the starter doesnt help either - it still requires a few trys with the starter motor)
2) Starts right up after sitting for hours like first thing in the morning or after work.

Ive gotten used to it.
Keeps the starter motor nice and loose.
Keeps me honest as Ill never attempt a bank robbery with my SW2.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
2) Starts right up after sitting for hours like first thing in the morning or after work.
. . . or . . . you can always rob the bank first thing in the morning, when you know your SW2 will start right up

Since you have no problems with cold start, sounds like you have a very different fuel pump problem. The "normal" '97 fuel issue is the opposite - starts up fine when it has not been shut down for long (fuel pressure has not had time to leak back down) but hard to start on sitting over night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post

All good bank robbers know to keep the car running.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Years ago I had my 97 SL's fuel pump check valve replaced because I didn't know that it would just go bad again. And it did. I just prime the system by holding the key in the "On" position for about three seconds, then turn the key the rest of the way to start. No problem and in fact, my original fuel pump is still good after what I think is about 300K miles. (Odometer broken for a few years) You see, when the engineers want to build a good, durable product, they can. Same goes for the air conditioning compressors in our Saturns and most cars. Designed and built well. It's only until a leak in the system screws those up too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #13
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Since you have no problems with cold start, sounds like you have a very different fuel pump problem. The "normal" '97 fuel issue is the opposite - starts up fine when it has not been shut down for long (fuel pressure has not had time to leak back down) but hard to start on sitting over night.
Really? Mines the same way. The way I understood the 97 fuel pump issue was that it's fine from cold, hard when warm. Mines fine from a cold start but once the car has been warmed up and I go to restart it, it won't turn over unless I wait until I hear the fuel pump relay. And even then sometimes it'll sputter to a start.

It's time to play....guess that rattle!
1997 SL2, 111K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Really? Mines the same way. The way I understood the 97 fuel pump issue was that it's fine from cold, hard when warm.
I could be way wrong here. I haven't tried to start my '97 in about . . .

holy crap, it's been about 6 years that this thing has been sitting, unstarted, in my driveway. Man, I have got to get stared on that project eventually

Last time I started it was after the oil pan replacement, to check for leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

With the 97 it bleeds down in a matter of minutes and this will cause hard starting cold and flooded starts hot if you do not run 2 prime cycles. Key must be off for 25 seconds to initiate 2nd prime cycle. If that does not work and it is a hot restart issue then there are 2 other things that will get you 1)failed ECTS. or 2)low pressure injector leakage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
With the 97 it bleeds down in a matter of minutes and this will cause hard starting cold and flooded starts hot if you do not run 2 prime cycles. Key must be off for 25 seconds to initiate 2nd prime cycle. If that does not work and it is a hot restart issue then there are 2 other things that will get you 1)failed ECTS. or 2)low pressure injector leakage.
so as I believe I understand what you are saying...

1) turn the key to 'on' position and hold about for 10 seconds. (not activating started motor)

2) turn key to 'off' and wait 25 seconds

3) Start the car ordinarily.

Feel free to correct me with this.
Thanks OldNuc

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Pump run time is only 2 seconds so first key on, count to 4, back to off, wait 25 seconds, back to on, count to 3, and then crank engine. At this point if it does not crank right off try throttle to floor and hold it there while in the count to 3 step, and then crank engine. If it fires let off throttle rapidly. What that will demonstrate is that there was too much gas in the intake and by holding throttle to floor you cut off any more gas. If you crank it and it does not immediately fire back off the throttle quickly while cranking. The trick is to find out if the no start is too much or not enough gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #18
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

^^^^^Tried that method twice tonight and so far it is 100% working.

Now what to do with that 25 seconds? ... maybe keep a book in the car.

Thanks again, OldNuc.

We need to have a Satty Awards every year. Properly give respect to great Saturnfans like OldNuc. Maybe during the online Homecoming. Are they still doing that here?

1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #19
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I've replaced mine once...

Highmile
'95 SL1 659k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good to hear that simple routine fixed another 97 fuel pump issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!