SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #41
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Roof Leak!! Roof Rack the culprit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinneyZoo1 View Post
Just curious, which Saturn do you use in Maryland? Good luck ont he fix!
That would be Saturn of Gaithersburg.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #42
rlogan
rlogan is on a distinguished road

Well great, mine seems to have a leak too...it pours down the passenger side a pillar into the floorboard when it's raining heavily while traveling at speed on the freeway, then after a bit it starts dripping just behind the b pillar on the passenger side, guess I better get it in. Definitely not looking forward to the service visit after hearing all this. The thing that sucks is that I would rather diagnose it myself than deal with the bafoons but then I'd get dinged if there were other issues down the road. I can certainly dismantle a car without leaving pry marks.

Also was wet in floorboard after last trip through car wash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlogan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlogan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #43
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogan View Post
Well great, mine seems to have a leak too...it pours down the passenger side a pillar into the floorboard when it's raining heavily while traveling at speed on the freeway, then after a bit it starts dripping just behind the b pillar on the passenger side, guess I better get it in.....
I had the dealership fix the sunroof leak (tube not connected at factory, they had a repair kit for this, GM new about the problem [according to the dealership] but choose not to say anything and handle them on a problem by problem situation]. Since that was fixed I still had problems, and we think it was the luggage rack connections (mentioned by others previously). They went through and sealed anything that could be sealed, got all the stains out of the headliner and floor, time will tell but I feel confident that it has been corrected. The dealership was very accommodating and have taken care of the problems without hassle.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #44
rlogan
rlogan is on a distinguished road

The weird part is, I got the truck in June and we had a fairly rainy summer with no trouble, then this month suddenly it leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlogan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlogan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #45
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogan View Post
The weird part is, I got the truck in June and we had a fairly rainy summer with no trouble, then this month suddenly it leaks.
I also got mine in June, had a little rain and even drove through some big storms between here and Dallas with no problems. I didn't have any problems until snow. Only thing I can figure is that with driving the water didn't have a chance to stand over the roof, where with the snow it melted down into the tube(s).

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #46
Dirxque2
Dirxque2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

Given the recent rash of leaks, it is possible that a very small amount of moisture was able to get, then froze/thawed, and the expansion from the thaw compromised something. If that is the case, they may consider tweaking the sealant itself at the factory.

This is one fine, plastic example of American engineering!

1995 SC1, no options at all, barely running, but deeply loved

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dirxque2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dirxque2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dirxque2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #47
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmckinn View Post
A WELDING SEAM WAS NOT SEALED CORRECTLY AT THE FACTORY. The mechanic squirted 4 cents worth of caulking in the gap - and it appears to have been fixed (2 weeks of rainy Seattle weather so far). I was happy we found the "smoking gun". According to the dealer, my headliner isn't damaged and it will never ever ever get mold (I'm sure it will start stinking the day after the warranty expires)...
I think that's the same issue I had with my SC2 where the trunk would always leak. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78228

2008 XR FWD :: Garnet:Ebony | Heated Leather | 2nd Row Captains Chairs | Trailering PKG | Remote Start | Heated Washer Fluid ::
2000 LS1 : 1998 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #48
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

Hi,
So now that I am done reading through all the posts, I must ask. Are the leak issues not only related to the 'sunroofs'? So, if you have an Outlook with NO sunroof, then are you getting the leaks because of the roof rails?

I just bought a 2008 XR but did NOT get the sunroof(s). Should I be concerned about the leaks (because of the roof rails)?

thanks,

BL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce_Lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce_Lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #49
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

It's only a sunroof issue.

That is one of the reasons why I never order a sunroof. Too much additional wasted weight, and the chance you will always have annoying problems with them is far greater in my mind than any benefit it might give you. If it isn't a leak, it's a rattle, or squeak, or it stops working on you. Regardless of the brand of car, sunroofs are always a huge source of quality issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #50
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
It's only a sunroof issue.

That is one of the reasons why I never order a sunroof. Too much additional wasted weight, and the chance you will always have annoying problems with them is far greater in my mind than any benefit it might give you. If it isn't a leak, it's a rattle, or squeak, or it stops working on you. Regardless of the brand of car, sunroofs are always a huge source of quality issues.
I had mine in again last week because of a leak again. It was the luggage rails. The way the sit, the rubber gaskit does not sit flush with the roof (it hangs over a narrow valley (for lack of a better word) and allows water to get up inside the bracket and run down the screw holes. They went through and sealed all of the screw holes with silicone, which should do the trick.

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #51
scarpi
scarpi is on a distinguished road

Man alot of leak issues. I'm thinking of trading in my 02 Yukon in on an 08 Outlook. I have a sunroof in my Yukon and no leaks at all. I do want a sunroof in my Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scarpi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scarpi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #52
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpi View Post
Man alot of leak issues. I'm thinking of trading in my 02 Yukon in on an 08 Outlook. I have a sunroof in my Yukon and no leaks at all. I do want a sunroof in my Outlook.
From what I understand they have corrected the problem with the sunroofs in the 08's with a correct size drain tube. I would go for it.

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #53
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
I had the dealership fix the sunroof leak (tube not connected at factory, they had a repair kit for this, GM new about the problem [according to the dealership] but choose not to say anything and handle them on a problem by problem situation].
Toyota did the same with the Camry transmission flaws, and also with the new Tundra camshaft failure. No recalls, just fix them as they failed.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #54
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Toyota did the same with the Camry transmission flaws, and also with the new Tundra camshaft failure. No recalls, just fix them as they failed.
The dealership was wonderful and has fixed any of the problems. My beef is with GM and plant managers not fixing the problem when the found it at the factory. Seems to me a one day shut down and fix the tubes would have saved them money in the long run although it would have cost more for that one day. If these guys are fighting for our money you would think they would want to give us an error free car/truck (of course there would be exceptions for the un-forseen) to begin with.

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #55
morpheus2969

Well, I'm hoping to get my Outlook back this evening. The dealership didn't receive the new headliner until Friday afternoon so I was told there would not be enough time to get it into the car. I've been without my Outlook since Christmas Eve. Seems like a long time - I barely remember what it looks like. Hopefully the leak issues have been resolved. Its going to be in the mid-60s today in the DC-area. Would have been a great day to drive with my sunroof open

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #56
morpheus2969

Just wanted to keep everyone updated.

I got my vehicle back Monday evening. Not really sure if the leak is fixed (haven't had it sitting in the driveway during a rainstorm yet). I unfortunately had to take it back this morning because the technician working on the vehicle didn't install the headliner properly, both front seatbelts are not installed correctly and both "B" pillars are not installed correctly.

Apparently I just can't seem to catch a break with this vehicle

After riding in the Buick Enclave for a coupld of weeks, I definitely prefer the Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #57
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansen30 View Post
I had mine in again last week because of a leak again. It was the luggage rails. The way the sit, the rubber gaskit does not sit flush with the roof (it hangs over a narrow valley (for lack of a better word) and allows water to get up inside the bracket and run down the screw holes. They went through and sealed all of the screw holes with silicone, which should do the trick.
Update: 1 rainstorm & 1 carwash = no leak!! Looks like it was the roof rack the second time around and the dealer got it fixed. They are also going to do a leather treatment on my seats as a courtesy for my troubles. They have bent over backwards for me. The service department manager has called me a couple of times to make sure everything is okay - what service!

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #58
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

Well, Khansen30, it seems that you have an '07 and to me that's a relief. I just got an '08 and after a few days of rain here in the San Francisco bay area, I haven't noticed any leaks in my car.

Again, I don't have a 'sunroof', but because you mentioned leaks from the 'roof/luggage rails', I was a bit worried.

I've checked the front passenger side as well as the second and third row seats and carpet. I haven't found any water/moisture (knock on wood) inside. So I am hoping that these issues are only affecting the 2007 models.

Good luck with your car and hopefully you won't have any more issues.

Bruce

2008 XR FWD (San Fran)
Silver ext with Ebony interior
Opt: Nothing but Nav and Trailering Pkg.

No brand loyalty; My loyalty is to my money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce_Lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce_Lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #59
morpheus2969

Yet again, another update.

We had some light rain in MD last night and my Outlook was on the driveway. No sign of any water leaks so hopefully that means the problem finally has been fixed. Three visits on this issues really is enough for me.

Unfortunately, I have other issues that need to be address. For those who wondered when I might reach a point of frustration - that time has come. I picked my car up from the dealer after requesting that they fix the interior panels as well as the headliner and the seat belts only to find that there are more issues. The technician simply is not being careful with the removal and reinstallation of these components and it appears that some anchors may have been broken. One of the seat belt assemblies certainly was. I have expressed my frustration to the dealership both by telephone and a formal document in e-mail. I'm hoping that they will step up and take care of these issues. I don't think I'm being picky by asking that they put everything back the way it was. Dang it, the car isn't even a year old yet!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #60
khansen30

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2969 View Post
I have expressed my frustration to the dealership both by telephone and a formal document in e-mail. I'm hoping that they will step up and take care of these issues. I don't think I'm being picky by asking that they put everything back the way it was. Dang it, the car isn't even a year old yet!
No other choices for a Saturn dealership in your area?

Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!