SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
vinografia
vinografia is on a distinguished road

Default Looking at 2000 SW Wagon w/101k miles for $2000

Hi! I'm new to Saturn and have found a 2000 Saturn SW with only 101k miles for $2000. I test drove it and except for the electric locks not working, it looked and drove great and the online reviews of the year/model make it seem like a real reliable car -- so, is this a good deal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vinografia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vinografia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vinografia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Looking at 2000 SW Wagon w/101k miles for $2000

Low miles, so could be worth $2000 in my opinion. For $2K I'd want to make sure there was no rust underneath. Do you live in the salt belt?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Reprogramming the remote electric locks is a $100+ trip to a GM dealer and if it the switch in the car not functioning that is indicative of an electrical system failure. The lock actuators are no longer available and solving the electrical issue is a time and material charge at a $100+/hr rate. A simple blown fuse or failed door relay is also indicative of larger presently uncovered issues. Most of this can be fixed by a knowledgeable owner but if this is not in your skill set then I would run away for a 2000$ price tag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
vinografia

Thank you so much for letting me know! I was thinking that was just a minor issue, so thank you so much for letting me know the possible larger ramifications of the locks not working!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vinografia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Locks don't work with RKE or the inside switches, correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
vinografia

I'm in Oregon. And the locks work on the inside. We took another look at it today and the interior and engine look really clean. It hadn't been started in months so they charged the battery and it started right up and drove good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

if the lock/unlock buttons can do their thing for all the doors at once, the electricals are probably fine. the battery in the fob can go, or its circuit board can get corroded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
vinografia

That would be great if the problem is small like that! Is this car deal something I should jump on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Like others warned you. Check for rust. I am not sure what Oregon is like for rust. But look for extensive rust in the door sills, the front sub frame particularly the driver side, and the rear sub frame where the arms bolt up just behind the rear passenger doors.
If you see rust through in these areas walk away unless you know people who can do frame reconstruction

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Fixing the RKE is a potential 100+$ reprogramming cost. You will also need a new battery as once a battery is run completely down it is shot and continued use can also destroy the alternator. You are going to find that there is a hidden delayed-ignored maintenance bill that comes with this car and it is not going to be insignificant. That $2K price is likely too high for the condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Call around for dealership pricing on programming the key fob. One place quoted $50, another $35 (both are Chevy dealers).

I wouldn't' doubt some places will charge an hour labor at $130 for the same work. Ran into the same experience with programming the cruise control - prices ran from $45-130

One question is - how are your mechanical skills? If you DIY, a clean, rust free car might be worth it (a little high to me, but prices vary from different areas)

Since you are new to the Saturn S series - great cars, but they are getting older. You should expect to put oil in the car on a regular basis (I add 3~12 oz of oil every weekend to my car, to keep the oil up at the Full level).

Rust, other drivers, and lack of oil/maintenance are what generally kills these cars.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinografia View Post
That would be great if the problem is small like that! Is this car deal something I should jump on?
Yes. These cars can run for extremely long periods of time, with proper care and maintenance. The key words here are proper care and maintenance.

There are going to be a few things to watch for, as any car has its faults:

Oil Consumption: Due to a flawed piston design, these engines are notorious oil burners. Keeping the oil level checked daily, and topped up to just above the FULL line is not difficult and synthetic oils may slow oil consumption.

Automatic Transmission: Due to the design of the valve body, lack of maintenance can result in the "Reverse Slam" from a worn boost pressure bore. It is about a 2-hour job to fix, and Special Forces(a member here) rebuilds the valve bodies and provides easy instructions on repairs. Even a novice mechanic can change this out and stave off a $1,500 repair bill.

Manual Transmission: The shifter bushings will eventually wear out. They are plastic and rubber. Symptoms will be a sloppy shifter and difficulty getting gears to engage. They aren't hard to replace and there are steel bushing replacements that virtually never wear out.

Rust: The engine cradle is known to rust under the driver's side lower control arm. There are 3-4 pieces of steel, and they are all welded at this spot, which allows dirt/moisture to collect in the minor warping caused by the welding process. Just check it visually and keep this area clean.

Intake Manifolds: For the 2000-2002 DOHC the plastic intake manifold has a failure at the spot where the coolant flows in from the heater core. It will cause a coolant leak and is difficult to replace, because of the location of this coolant line. Dorman makes a repair kit that permanently solves the problem.

On 2000-2002 SOHC there is an issue with improperly torqued intake manifold studs, which causes the intake gasket to leak at the #1 cylinder. Symptoms will include a high idle, followed with a P0301 code for cylinder misfire. Not fun to replace at all, but it can be done with patience and hand tools.

Electronics: The BCM has an estimated life span of about 5-7 years on most cars. Eventually, this system will fail and cause a "No Start" condition with either a solid or flashing "Security" light. It requires a trip to the dealership to repair as BCMs have to programmed to the PCM and ignition switch of the car. Expensive, but worth it because these cars can literally last a million miles.

Look up a member here, by the name of Highmile. He has a 1995 SL1, with 655,000+ miles. He is the original owner of the car, purchased in Sept. 1994, and takes care of his investment.

Overall, these cars are not very difficult to actually work on. I have over 20 years of mechanical experience of wrenching on cars. My biggest regret with car ownership: I should have bought my 1995 SC2 way earlier in my life.

I absolutely love my Saturn. Purchased mine with 163,082 miles from a police impound auction. Previous owner never did oil changes, so it was using a lot of oil, but still ran great. Paid $200 for my rescue project.

No car is without its flaws, and Saturn is no exception to this fact. It just so happens that Saturns make excellent used cars for people that like to just "drive the car and do oil changes", so to speak.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Go open the rear hatch. Pretend it's raining and you've got a cart full of groceries you want to toss in the back. If the seller's gotten the fob fixed, pretend it's still broken.

Don't ask questions now, just go try it...then ask questions...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Go open the rear hatch. Pretend it's raining and you've got a cart full of groceries you want to toss in the back. If the seller's gotten the fob fixed, pretend it's still broken.

Don't ask questions now, just go try it...then ask questions...lol
I never understood your concern here. I get there is no handle but you just pop your key in, turn and it opens. The other option is to pull the release lever on the floor and of coarse the FOB button. What's the big deal?

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I never understood your concern here. I get there is no handle but you just pop your key in, turn and it opens. The other option is to pull the release lever on the floor and of coarse the FOB button.
different people are really peeved about different things

Me, I put groceries in the back seat. Weird, I know. Even with the minivan, I open the side sliding doors and put groceries there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night
Look up a member here, by the name of Highmile. He has a 1995 SL1, with 655,000+ miles.
the funny thing is, Highmile just recently passed another (former) member, Luke, who had around 650k miles. And there is a non-member out there who had 883k back when Highmile was at around 450k miles.
Quote:
Previous owner never did oil changes
I kinda wish I kept a link to the thread, but this reminds of some guy that bought a cheap Saturn. He hated the car, said he didn't get why there were so many fans. Decided he would just beat the car until it died - no maintenance or anything. Drove out in the mud, woods, bounced it around, never added oil, or anything. Came back and said, "I guess I can see why you guys like them. Any Honda or Toyota I treated this bad would have died long ago and this thing is still running; now I kind of wish I treated it better"

^ ^ ^ don't do that at home

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I never understood your concern here. I get there is no handle but you just pop your key in, turn and it opens. The other option is to pull the release lever on the floor and of coarse the FOB button. What's the big deal?
Find one and try it out (with owners permission of course). Do the same test I suggested the OP do (sans key-fob as my '97 SW2 had manual locks). If you're at the driver door to unlock/open the hatch...isn't there ANOTHER door right there that's just as "complicated" to open yet easier to get to?

Sure the wagon adds a bit of height to the trunk (therefor cargo space), but the hatch should be as easy to open as a door...not as complicated as a trunk.

I'm not quite saying don't buy it, just pay attention to something I found highly annoying...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
vinografia

You guys are AWESOME!!! Just the fact that so many of you responded with helpful advice gives me some insight into the Saturn cars -- just wish they hadn't closed ( Thank you so much for all your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Find one and try it out (with owners permission of course). Do the same test I suggested the OP do (sans key-fob as my '97 SW2 had manual locks). If you're at the driver door to unlock/open the hatch...isn't there ANOTHER door right there that's just as "complicated" to open yet easier to get to?

Sure the wagon adds a bit of height to the trunk (therefor cargo space), but the hatch should be as easy to open as a door...not as complicated as a trunk.

I'm not quite saying don't buy it, just pay attention to something I found highly annoying...
I owned a 93 SW2 for 10 years (before the RKE option was offered) and drove my parents 2000 SW2 (with RKE) many times through their 14 years ownership. They owned the 93 before me from new. I'd say I'm pretty familiar with how it works.

I suppose if I came from a car that had a external button or handle and I didn't lock my car then I may feel different. If you lock the car and you don't have RKE then you have to use the key anyways or open the drivers door and use the handle.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
vinografia

I don't have any mechanic skills, but under $2,000 to buy a good, used car, I don't have many clear options. So far the 2000 Saturn SW looks to be much better then most other cars at the same price range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the previous owner maintained the car in a garage or carport and the left side of the engine cradle is not rusted you may be OK with this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!