SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
ExNorth
ExNorth has a spectacular aura aboutExNorth has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Where to get the clips for the Transmission Cooler lines?

Hello,

My radiator went out and started leaking the other day, so I decided it was a good time to replace it. After some intense struggling, I managed to get it replaced but the plastic release clip on the engine side of the transmission cooler line broke.. Where can I find a replacement? I managed to jam it back in the transmission, but it did not fit in as securely as before and fear it will leak..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ExNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ExNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Where to get the clips for the Transmission Cooler lines?

I bought mine through Amazon but I forgot what they are and no longer own a Saturn. I think if you look up new cooler lines on Amazon (where I bought my radiator and new cooler lines) they pop up as a recommended purchase

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Rubber replacement lines are ~$4/ft (slightly more for larger, less for smaller), only need about 3ft of it and combined with the 4 new clamps they'd require you'd come out far far ahead money wise over buying new direct fit lines...

Lower: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-624-98.../dp/B00CFJUFT0
Upper: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-624-98.../dp/B00CPYAMQG
Though, going by the reviews, those part numbers are typical Dorman "direct fit" replacements that don't actually fit any automobile. Just makes the generic rubber replacement hose idea even better.

It's a low pressure system to/from the cooler, no point in metal lines other than to rust out and create *something* to replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
I bought mine through Amazon but I forgot what they are and no longer own a Saturn. I think if you look up new cooler lines on Amazon (where I bought my radiator and new cooler lines) they pop up as a recommended purchase
The transmission is leaking for sure.. I have not had any luck finding a replacement clip. Could you help me find one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ExNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
ExNorth

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Rubber replacement lines are ~$4/ft (slightly more for larger, less for smaller), only need about 3ft of it and combined with the 4 new clamps they'd require you'd come out far far ahead money wise over buying new direct fit lines...

Lower: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-624-98.../dp/B00CFJUFT0
Upper: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-624-98.../dp/B00CPYAMQG
Though, going by the reviews, those part numbers are typical Dorman "direct fit" replacements that don't actually fit any automobile. Just makes the generic rubber replacement hose idea even better.

It's a low pressure system to/from the cooler, no point in metal lines other than to rust out and create *something* to replace.
Could you give me an idea on how I could make these rubber hoses and plug them in? I have no idea where to buy the parts or how to assemble them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Parts store would be you're best bet, hardware store should have the same thing for probably way cheaper. May have to buy a tubing cutter as well, handy to have around the house if you don't already have one but add's ~$5 to the project cost if you don't have one.

What I'd do is cut the current lines off leaving at least 2" of hard line to slip the rubber hose onto at the transmission end, then slip 2 clamps over the other end of the hose and connect to the radiator then slide each clamp to each end of the hose and clamp it down. If it's going over plastic line then I'd use something to scuff up the end to help hold the hose in place and don't clamp it very tight otherwise it'll crush the plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

The problem is Fetchit is he's already got these clips damaged and there is no way to get the lines to not leak (homemade or not) to not leak without the clip to hold the fitting in place.
Here is what you need https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NAPA-73...-/262313707111

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNorth View Post
The transmission is leaking for sure.. I have not had any luck finding a replacement clip. Could you help me find one?
You need the plastic clips, that are on the transmission side, correct?

Those plastic clips were a dealership-only item, and there is a rubber o-ring inside that fitting to help seal the line.

www.car-part.com

Search for transmission assemblies.

Most yards leave the transmission/engines in the cars. You may be able to get the clips/o-rings needed to fix that leak.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
The problem is Fetchit is he's already got these clips damaged and there is no way to get the lines to not leak (homemade or not) to not leak without the clip to hold the fitting in place.
Here is what you need https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NAPA-73...-/262313707111
With my idea for the fix, the clips have no use. The total cost of my idea is roughly the same as those replacement clips, $12 only without the shipping wait.

You're making this idea on both ends of the hose...

If you can find the clips locally, I'd go with that instead though as it is the better idea but...those quick-connects are horrible IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Go to the local NAPA with that part number and that will solve your problem. Or just about any other parts store. You are not the first person to break one. Before installing look into the connector and be sure the o-ring has not taken a vacation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

I do agree with Fetch on quick connect fittings, for sure.

Whatever happened to hose clamps and NPT threading? Oh, wait......now I remember......using those fittings makes the car "serviceable"

(Although, I will say that as long as it doesn't pertain to the steering column or windshield wiper motors, these cars are pretty easy to service otherwise.)

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote