SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
Sattyinsnow
Sattyinsnow is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Fog light install question

hey all

I was just want to bounce a few ideas off you guys for an install i wanna do i picked up a set of hallo blue's (crappy tire crystal blue fog lights) and i was wondering if instead of getting a switch to it. i want to attach them to my main lights so when their on the fogs go on and off and so forth.. but can i just splice and connect the power to the fogs and the low beams? also if i did that would the voltage or ampage, of each bulb change? like instead of a 100watts for 2 bulbs (50) and if i splise their only 25 watts to each light?? just wondering about this.

thanks for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sattyinsnow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sattyinsnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

The limiting factors in your proposed setup are the fuses and the wires. Connecting the fog light to the low beam wiring will cause extra current to be drawn through the existing low beam wiring and fuses. This might cause the fuse to pop. If you use a larger fuse, you are risking too much current being carried by the low beam wiring which will create a fire hazzard.

So if you want to use your setup, you'll need to use larger guage wiring to supply the power to the low beams and fog lights.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
Whelan
Whelan is on a distinguished road

I had my fogs wired professionally. I have them setup so they go on with my parks and low beams, but I also have the auxillary shut off switch mounted in case I dont want them on. Works out well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Whelan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Whelan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
Sattyinsnow

so they would draw more power and would heat up the wire and etc.. and fuses.. what if i wired them right to the end of low beams? (like where the low beams meet the controller or whatever it is to control them?? and just attach the fog wires to that instead of splicing it? would that work and i would just get a bigger fuse put in??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sattyinsnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Go to WALMART. Purchase a "Auxillary Fog/driving light wiring kit" (+/-$10) It will include the INSTRUCTIONS, wiring, switch and relay to do the job RIGHT. Wire the lights direct ANYWHERE in the "full power" side of the headlight circuit and you WILL overload the headlight circuit eventually.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:07 PM   #6
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Do as wolfman says... relays are your friend. If you hook the fogs up to the lows, you will probably get less light output than if you used the relay. And then there is of course the chance of blown fuses, melted wires, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WeeeZer14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WeeeZer14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
Sattyinsnow

hey wolfman what do you do anyways??? you seem to have the answer for almost anything saturn or well anything in general.. for that matter..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
mkosem
Advanced Member
mkosem is on a distinguished road

I'm prety sure wolfman was a Saturn Tech from 95-97 and is now a Police Officer.

--Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkosem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkosem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!