SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Nickdfresh
Nickdfresh is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default How buying a car is going to change

How buying a car is going to change

With Chrysler and GM in bankruptcy, a new auto-buying landscape is emerging. And if you're car shopping, act soon; the bargains won't last much longer.

By U.S. News & World Report

It's business as usual. That's what General Motors and Chrysler want car buyers to believe as each automaker charts its way through the biggest financial crisis in its history.

It's also wishful thinking. As the two companies, which control nearly one-third of the U.S. car market, work through bankruptcy, they are undergoing profound disruption. Ford, Toyota and several other automakers are losing money and revamping their own operations. On top of that, the Obama administration is speeding up the pace at which car companies need to introduce new technology, cut tailpipe emissions and make major gains in the fuel efficiency of their fleets.

With the whole U.S. economy in flux, in fact, there's probably no industry being transformed more rapidly than the car business. Here are some of the changes that will hit consumers over the next several years:

Higher sticker prices. It's a buyer's market right now because sales are terrible and automakers are still building more cars than shellshocked shoppers worried about the recession can buy. There may even be some fire sales over the summer, as nearly 3,000 GM and Chrysler dealers slated for closing shut down and liquidate their inventories.

But the sweet deals will probably dry up by the end of the year. Most automakers are aggressively cutting production to halt chronic overbuilding, and as inventories get leaner, prices will rise. Fewer GM and Chrysler dealerships means there will be less competition to drive down prices. And the administration's tougher mileage requirements will force automakers to adopt expensive new technology, such as direct-injection drivetrains and advanced transmissions, that will ratchet up the sticker price. For consumers who can afford it, the time to buy is now. (See "Fire-sale prices lift GM, Chrysler.")Cars in Aisle 6. Just about the only place to buy a car these days is a traditional dealership, thanks largely to powerful franchise laws in most states that keep other competitors at bay. But as automakers slash their retail networks, dealers are losing their clout. For new offerings such as minicars, and perhaps cheap Chinese imports, a big showroom with a dedicated sales staff might not even make sense. That could open the way for retailers like Costco or Wal-Mart to start selling cars.

"A lot of new business models could emerge," says Craig Cather, the CEO of forecasting firm CSM Worldwide. "We could see some crazy things in the next few years."

In Mexico, for instance, at least one retail outlet sells Chinese-made cars alongside other types of consumer products. There's no reason such a model couldn't migrate north.

Toyota at the top. With the Detroit automakers trying to shrink their way back to profitability, it seems inevitable that Japan's Toyota will end up as the No. 1 seller of cars in the United States. GM has long been the market leader, with U.S. market share of about 19% today, compared with 17% for Toyota and 16% for Ford. CSM's projections show Toyota edging to the front of the pack by 2011, with Ford right behind and GM a close third. Those three automakers are likely to cluster at the top of an intensely competitive market for the foreseeable future.

GM on the rebound. GM's sales are sure to dip for a year or two, as the sprawling automaker winds down four of its eight divisions, right-sizes its dealer network and struggles to retain skeptical customers. But GM could once again become a powerhouse -- and Chapter 11 could help.

"GM's going to light it back up before long," says Gary Dilts of J.D. Power & Associates. "They have a pretty good product plan, and once they're out of bankruptcy they'll leave 10 years of debt on the side of the road."

One suggestion from Dilts: Company executives should stop referring to "GM," which consumers associate with problems, and rely more on the company's Chevrolet and Cadillac brand names, which still have strong traction in buyers' minds.

Saturns from overseas. GM's plan calls for unloading this money-losing division, but Saturn's not dead yet. This earnest brand for straight-talking folks has a number of assets that make it likely to draw a buyer: an expansive network of nearly 400 dealerships, modern facilities and a well-known and accepted brand name.

Penske Automotive Group is one potential buyer, with a plan to stick the Saturn name on vehicles imported from South Korea. Chinese-made vehicles might even end up as Saturns. For the time being, GM will continue to provide vehicles for Saturn stores. But at some point, Saturns will morph into something altogether different.

An endangered Chrysler. Company executives wax buoyant about Chrysler's prospects once it emerges from bankruptcy and finalizes a merger with Italian automaker Fiat.

But it won't be nearly that simple. Even if it sheds debt and streamlines, Chrysler will still be a damaged brand that lacks competitive products until Fiat-built vehicles hit the company's lineup, which could take two or three years. Fiat doesn't plan even to invest money in Chrysler, and the government has capped its commitment at a very modest $6 billion.

CSM forecasts that Chrysler's market share will fall from 11% today to less than 3% in 2012. For a mainstream brand that can't get away with premium pricing, that's close to the minimum threshold for survival. Which means the turmoil in Detroit is far from over.

Link

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nickdfresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nickdfresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nickdfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How buying a car is going to change

It is already drying up. I'm looking for a new Charger V8 to buy for work and there ain't any available without them being SRT8 packages and I only need the basic one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

No V6 models?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
No V6 models?
It is a special purpose vehicle and being paid for by Uncle Fed & it was specified that a V8 was what they want to see purchased. It is free so we cannot really argue the point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

The article points out some reasons why prices could rise but it doesn't address the other side of the equation which is the ability of potential consumers to pay the higher prices. The loss of high paying jobs in this country will also create a loss of more affluent customers who in the past created higher demand for vehicles and in turn drove up prices. Sooner or later the market place will create an equilibrium of supply and demand. It seems to me that the US government is betting that the balance point of supply and demand will involve production of a lot less vehicles for some time to come and is therefore forcing the downsizing of the industry. Only time will tell for sure but it now seems likely that a lot fewer Americans will be buying new cars simply because they want them as opposed to those who wait until they actually need them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Buying at a car dealer is bad enough, do you really want to buy a car from Wal-Mart, Costco or Best Buy?
"My car doesn't start, can you fix it?"
"Did you buy the Service Plan?"
"No"
"You'll have to send it back to the manufacturer."

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
It is already drying up. I'm looking for a new Charger V8 to buy for work and there ain't any available without them being SRT8 packages and I only need the basic one.
Charger or Challenger? I figure there should be still quite a few Charger V8s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Buying at a car dealer is bad enough, do you really want to buy a car from Wal-Mart, Costco or Best Buy?
"My car doesn't start, can you fix it?"
"Did you buy the Service Plan?"
"No"
"You'll have to send it back to the manufacturer."
yeah right...you can't even find anybody to ask questions to in those places.
And when you find somebody, you're lucky if they get what you're saying....
you gotta love walmart

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up a SRT8 from one of the closing dealers that have a few days left to get rid of inventorty. I'd just to sell it shortly after and make some off of it after getting the good discounts on it. None here seem to have any SRT8s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Charger or Challenger? I figure there should be still quite a few Charger V8s.
The 4 door one. Needs the V8. After an inventory search, I found a couple on the Internet. Gotta have the purchasing folks look harder. There have to be some available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

It was those dare REBATES that began much of the purchasing issues.

US vehicles have a varied resale vaule just because of this. As well a lackluster quality control.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
yeah right...you can't even find anybody to ask questions to in those places.
And when you find somebody, you're lucky if they get what you're saying....
you gotta love walmart
The last 3 times I've bought a car I did the research on the internet, decided what I wanted with what packages, figured out the list price and did an inventory search of the local dealers on their internet pages. Emailed a couple dealers my wants and offer on XX stock #, got an email back with acceptance and total cost break down. Went to the dealer, went to the cashier and gave them my check, signed the paperwork and left. Only question I needed to ask anyone at the dealer was "Where's the bathroom".

I already know where the bathroom is at Walmart and Costco.........

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
The 4 door one. Needs the V8. After an inventory search, I found a couple on the Internet. Gotta have the purchasing folks look harder. There have to be some available.
I found about 4 myself, maybe the purchasing folks are confusing the R/T with the SRT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
The last 3 times I've bought a car I did the research on the internet, decided what I wanted with what packages, figured out the list price and did an inventory search of the local dealers on their internet pages. Emailed a couple dealers my wants and offer on XX stock #, got an email back with acceptance and total cost break down. Went to the dealer, went to the cashier and gave them my check, signed the paperwork and left. Only question I needed to ask anyone at the dealer was "Where's the bathroom".

I already know where the bathroom is at Walmart and Costco.........
A lot of people still go to the dealer knowing nothing about the car they want to buy, or even what car they want.
I don't think they need to get rid of dealers, they just need to get rid of commissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!