SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Report: Nissan-Renault Said to Be Possible Partner with Penske in Saturn Venture

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Report: Nissan-Renault Said to Be Possible Partner with Penske in Saturn Venture

Quote:
Doron Levin and Katie Merx from Bloomberg: Nissan, Japan's third-largest automaker, may join a venture with U.S. retailer Penske Automotive Group and General Motors' Saturn car brand, two people familiar with the matter said. The idea is that Nissan, its affiliate Renault or another automaker, may make Saturn-brand vehicles for a new venture that could be operated by Penske and distributed through Saturn's retail network, said the people, who asked not to be named because discussions are private.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Report: Nissan-Renault Said to Be Possible Partner with Penske in Saturn Venture

If it ends up being foreign, I ain't buying no matter what the product ends up being. It's an insult to the Saturn name. Saturn was about competing with the imports by producing a competitive American car, not becoming an import. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
UONAI
UONAI is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Report: Nissan-Renault Said to Be Possible Partner with Penske in Saturn Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
If it ends up being foreign, I ain't buying no matter what the product ends up being. It's an insult to the Saturn name. Saturn was about competing with the imports by producing a competitive American car, not becoming an import. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel.

Wat's so good about a pure American brand/car?
FYI, Saturn currently sells European cars,
ASTRA, Vue/Aura(made in US tough).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UONAI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UONAI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UONAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Er - Nissan is no longer per se a "foreign" brand. Their cars are built here in the Southern USA. The Versa is really a rebadged Renault built here.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

The Versa shares a platform and components with Renault models, but it isn't a rebadged Renault (though it looks a lot like the Scénic, http://www.renaultretail.co.uk/vehicle/scenic1.aspx).

Also, both the Sentra and the Versa are made in Mexico and not in the US, though I think their Altima is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by UONAI View Post
FYI

Astra - built in Antwerpen, Belgium

Vue - built in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico

Aura - built in Kansas City, Kansas

Outlook - built in Lansing, Michigan

Sky - built in Wilmington, Delaware

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I mean designed as well as built in the US by a US based company.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Er - Nissan is no longer per se a "foreign" brand. Their cars are built here in the Southern USA. The Versa is really a rebadged Renault built here.
"Nissan", by the way, means made-in-Japan, in Japanese.

Ni, in Japanese, means the sun. And is the same Ni as in Nippon, what Japanese calls their own country.

San, means manufacturing or producing.

So, together, Nissan means Japan made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

I read the report as Penske selling cars made by Nissan or Renault or another maker in the US using Saturn's existing distribution network and support network.

Hmmm.... the thought of Penske selling Japanese cars under the guise of Saturn is intriguing. How would Penske promote Saturnsan? Wonder if that means we'll see Japanese cars in NASCAR? Imagine Nissan GT-R in Talladega!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelfliw View Post
I read the report as Penske selling cars made by Nissan or Renault or another maker in the US using Saturn's existing distribution network and support network.

Hmmm.... the thought of Penske selling Japanese cars under the guise of Saturn is intriguing. How would Penske promote Saturnsan? Wonder if that means we'll see Japanese cars in NASCAR? Imagine Nissan GT-R in Talladega!!!
Doubtful...look at how long it was before Toyota entered into Nascar..just a mere 2 years ago...and along with the COT (car of tomorrow/car of today)...there is just too much testing that would need to be done before a Japanese car would be entered into NASCAR (Aside from Toyota)...but even then, a few years ago when the announcement was made that Toyota was going to enter NASCAR...alot of people were doing a double take....Toyota in NASCAR?? Look at how long it took them to get Toyota into the Truck series before the Sprint Series.

Prior to Toyota getting into NASCAR...NASCAR has been predominated by the Big 3; using various nameplates. Pontiac exited NASCAR a few years ago.

This is my 3300th post

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 05-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: 3300 post!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelfliw View Post
"Nissan", by the way, means made-in-Japan, in Japanese.

Ni, in Japanese, means the sun. And is the same Ni as in Nippon, what Japanese calls their own country.

San, means manufacturing or producing.

So, together, Nissan means Japan made.

not sure where you put that together from, but Nissan translated actually means "Product of the Rising Sun". The Datsun name was originated for the American market and the Nissan name replaced it in 1982.

I can tell you guys that long before I was a SaturnFan, I was a strong Datsun/Nissan Fan. As I said, and with correction somebody said about the Versa, most ALL of the Nissans sold today in the US are US built.

US built Nissans are made in Smyrna Tennessee, Canton, Mississippi, Jacksonville, Florida (350Z was) and Decherd, Tennessee. (the Versa, not US made).

I can't wait to add the upcoming NISMO performance parts to my Astra, LOL.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Report: Nissan-Renault Said to Be Possible Partner with Penske in Saturn Venture

My beloved L300 had a lot of German (Opel) DNA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post

I didn't mind that as much, because they re-engineered it to be a Saturn and Opel was still part of a US based company. And man, I do miss the dent resistant panels, which the L Series had.

My parents just got their first ding on their '08 Honda Accord. Actually, I don't know when it happened, but I just noticed it at their house. There was some paint left on the body from whatever hit it, which came off, but I can still see the ding from some angles. It's not real bad, but annoying. Of course, it's on the rear quarter panel, so I guess the L Series wouldn't have been any better in this particular case!

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Renault CEO Says GM Hasn't Asked Him To Discuss Saturn

It's so fun watching all of this play out. Talk about a fluid situation and using the media to help negotiate a deal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...06-715707.html

Rethink your Saturn. Accessorize.
http://www.saturnaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
stevedj_98
stevedj_98 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

"Almost ALL of the Nissans sold today in the US are US built.
US built Nissans are made in Smyrna Tennessee, Canton, Mississippi, Jacksonville, Florida (350Z was) and Decherd, Tennessee. (the Versa, not US made). "

Also, remember that Nissan USA's headquarters is in Franklin, TN only about 15 miles away from the old Saturn plant in Spring Hill, TN. What a great opportunity to get that plant back from GM and start building Saturns there again!

PLUS, Nissan is on a big electric car kick. Tennessee Governor Bredesen wants to build charging stations in major Tennessee cities, including right here in Chattanooga. I think it would be a great idea to have Nissan build an all-electric Saturn in Tennessee and the USA.

2008 Saturn Aura XE
1995 Ford Contour ALL ELECTRIC CONVERSION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevedj_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevedj_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
PLUS, Nissan is on a big electric car kick. Tennessee Governor Bredesen wants to build charging stations in major Tennessee cities, including right here in Chattanooga. I think it would be a great idea to have Nissan build an all-electric Saturn in Tennessee and the USA.
I think EVERYONE'S starting to hop on the electric car bandwagon.

even Ford is converting an old truck plant in Michigan to build electric focuses. IIRC there is/was supposed to be an electric Dodge something (forget if it's shadow or charger or something else) and a Jeep Wrangler hybrid.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post

So does the Aura and Sky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UONAI View Post
I've owned 2 Infiniti's. They were great cars. If Nissan USA makes Saturns, I'll give them a try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I mean designed as well as built in the US by a US based company.
That's a hard one to accomplish in today's world...

I'd buy another Saturn if they go back to US designed and built.

Here's another Renault, and a Renault concept coupe...

2010 Saturn VUE ?

2010 Saturn SKY ?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
btrexler
btrexler is on a distinguished road

I would be so happy to see Saturn's go on, even if owned by another company. My main question would be if the Saturn people would continue to design or would the Nissan people take over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btrexler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btrexler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
btrexler is offline   Reply With Quote