SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default More parts or just trash.

Just curious to those who go to salvage yards and pick out parts and replace them on their cars. After you are done do you toss the part that you pulled off your car and replaced or do you save it so that you can use parts of it to make other parts better? For example when I purchased my most recent car it had a cargo cover that was dinged up on the outside and had the handle ripped off cleanly. It was so beat up I just thought it would be better just to replace it which is what I did. But if the actual cover of someone else's rips and they just need that part then I have it so I'm wondering is it worth saving or just tossing cuz there's a finite amount of parts and as time goes by I'm wondering if more people would be interested in the minutiae on broken parts. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: More parts or just trash.

I suppose it depends on the item;

I went to a junkyard for those push pins that go on the sides of the radio and hold the rock guard in, it doesn't make sense for me to keep the broken ones so those get tossed. Mechanic parts are something I don't find myself in short supply of, solenoids, tubing, or fuses get tossed.

Saturn branded accessories are something I usually keep despite the ones I have are worn / broken, things like mats. I purchased essentially a brand new pair of mats for my car but decided to keep the old ones for the winter, things like original car mats are hard to find.

So it really depends on the availability of the part, though if I had infinite space I suppose I'd keep most of it. That, however, is just the hoarder speaking in me.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
aygc271
aygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura about

Usually the part I'm replacing is crusty and 18 years old, so the decision to pitch it is an easy one. Sometimes I'll go back inside (as I often do work in the parking lot) and toss it in the driver seat of the car I poached from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aygc271's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aygc271 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aygc271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I keep everything from my car. Any part that is replaced is kept, even the burned out A/C and RECIRC bulbs. Eventually I can find the bulb to replace in the little holder, but I keep it just for the holder. The only things I do not keep are broken sensors, but if I replace it and it still functions, it becomes a spare.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote