SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default trans check, fingers crossed please

Well, I am needing lots of positive, or negative, depending on how you think about it, thoughts for my transmission. I am due to take it in Thursday morning to a really good dealership about 40 miles away, through the mountains. This is going to be my last chance to get the trans fixed for free. I had a long discussion with Chevy Customer service yesterday, as the dealership has already told me that they won't be able to get to it for several weeks. However, per my conversation with the Customer Service folks as Chevy, if the problem is diagnosed and a work order put in, and kept open, prior to 20Nov, I am covered. That is the key thing.... the work order can not be closed out. Or I have to leave the vehicle there and they would need to give me a loaner. Which I am okay with that as long is it has some ground clearance and is AWD.
Now, to make this even more fun, I have gotten myself an AllDatadiy account for this car. In that, it says that to rebuild the trans you have to drop the front cradle. IF... there is that HUGE two letter word again, the trans is eligible for the rebuild, they will need to drop the cradle. So, that means I should be able to get them to change out the timing chains, tensioners, and guides while it is down and easy to get to, for only an hour or two worth of labor and parts.... unless I supply them.
Assuming that the trans is bad enough to get them to rebuild it, and I can get them to do the chains for me, I may actually end up with a decent little car..... BOY do I need this to happen. I am going to be doing A LOT of driving over the next few months, and I can not take my wife's truck for all of this. I NEED my car reliable. So prayers, good thoughts, wished of the appropriate luck, etc., are needed.

Thanks all,

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: trans check, fingers crossed please

Wishing you the best John.
Please come back and share hopefully good news they will support your trans repair.
Good Luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Yeah,
That didn't work. The old school tech who took it for a test drive, and I was with him, insists that the trans feels rock solid. So maybe I am going to get lucky on that one. He did state that it didn't feel like the torque converter was locking and unlocking like it was supposed to, but other than that, it felt fine. And he hammered on the car pretty hard to try and get it to act up.... nothing... just rock solid shifts and performance.
He did tell me something that backs up what I see for myself in Alldatadiy and what Satlite440 says..... the cradle does not need to be dropped to replace the timing chains. According to the tech, the engine guy in the shop does the chain replacement all the time with the engine in the car. I have to go back to that area on Monday... I may double check that with the engine guy as I was on a bit of a time crunch when I was in there.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

I thought you had a shifting issue with your trans and why you were going for a replacement. In your shoes, for the trans if 'no codes' and shifting is rock solid, I would do a trans oil drain and refill and call it good. I am coming up on my second trans drain/refill in the next few months. FWIW 5 qts of Dextron VI. 11mm drain nut. Careful about torque...'tapered thread'.

As to the timing chains...yes...great videos on youtube showing the engine and cradle in the car unmoved. So it has been done...probably a lot that way.
Easier to drop the cradle but not essential. Most of us don't have a $30K vehicle lift in our garage and so we make do with what we have.

Keep us posted John if you dig in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote