SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
sl2gold
sl2gold is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Am I missing something here ??

Ok, so I've been searching on the other posts around here as far as airbox mods and so I removed the resonator,and drilled holes in the bottom of the box and in the tube that goes inside. From what I've been reading, alot of folks have said to have noticed increased throttle response, but all it seemed to do for me was lose some low end. It sounded better, but I don't care about that if I'm losing bottom end so I taped up the holes and got my torque back. I thought that you only lose bottom end with a CAI. Did I do something wrong or were my expectaions just incorrect. I was still thinking about getting a short ram intake later this year, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'll get similar results and be disappointed. I like my power down at low and mid range where I can use it in traffic and climbing hills so I don't know if I want to trade that off so that I can feel it at 80mph or whenever. BTW , it's a 99 DOHC 5-speed. So any other DOHC stick shift folks out there, could you tell me what your experience has been with an SRI ? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2gold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2gold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2gold is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
aperseghin
aperseghin is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Re: Am I missing something here ??

you need to reset your computer, unhook your ground wire from your negative battery terminal for about 15-30 min... that may help.

~~~~~~~~~~http://www.yourlastrites.com/saturn~~~~~~~~~~~~
1999 SC2 3- Door Coupe.
DIY Custom Short Ram Intake.
69,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aperseghin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aperseghin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aperseghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
MrSaturnPart2
MrSaturnPart2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1993 SL2

As the former owner of a 93 SL2 I would rather stick with a CAI. Saturns are lightweight vehicles who dont need much torque to get them off the line so torque down low would really just cause more wheelspin. As for passing I think saturns are up to the task and would benefit from more torque down low but like I said I think they have enough potential as it is. Its real simple a CAI is the way to go, I'm tired of people debating if an SRI or a CAI is better. In fact, check out qksltwo.com, these guys just revamped the CAI that they produce for S-series saturns. There CAI's wreak of quality, and are dyno proven to provide maximum performance. Dont settle for anything less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrSaturnPart2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrSaturnPart2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrSaturnPart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

If there is a loss an opened up stock box wouldn't cause a large loss. Even the loss that could occur with a CAI would be so small you couldn't "feel" it. The increase of power up high is slightly feelable and that may have you think that you have lost power down low.

Open the box back up and reset your computer.

I wouldn't do a SRI and would go CAI instead. I'm running an AEM, I like it an think it was worth the price. Many people get scared over the idea of possibly hydrolocking their engine, but it is largely unfounded. I have had a CAI for over 4 years and haven't had a single time where my engine was in danger. You don't want to be stupid with a CAI, but don't let people make you think that they are all that dangous. I say go CAI and watch where you drive.

Also AEM sells a bypass valve for their CAI. They suck. They are prone to craking and from all accounts I've seen can steal as much as 2HP.

Last edited by cloud819; 03-19-2007 at 04:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
If there is a loss an opened up stock box wouldn't cause a large loss. Even the loss that could occur with a CAI would be so small you couldn't "feel" it. The increase of power up high is slightly feelable and that may have you think that you have lost power down low.

Open the box back up and reset your computer.

I wouldn't do a SRI and would go CAI instead. I'm running an AEM, I like it an think it was worth the price. Many people get scared over the idea of possibly hydrolocking their engine, but it is largely unfounded. I have had a CAI for over 4 years and haven't had a single time where my engine was in danger. You don't want to be stupid with a CAI, but don't let people make you think that they are all that dangous. I say go CAI and watch where you drive.

Also AEM sells a bypass valve for their CAI. They suck. They are prone to craking and from all accounts I've seen can steal as much as 2HP.
yeah well i live in florida, not the desert in new mexico.

so i personally know people who have blown their engine hydro locking.

if u are worried about loosing low end then get a sri and not a cai cuz even AEM's dyno will show u that when the cai is bellow 4500 rpm u have less power than stock, and that power only goes up when u are above that. the sri gives u more power though the entire band.

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

I just installed a SRI on my car last week and i have noticed just a little bit of a loss in low end, but a gain in mid and high end. I also has a nice agressive sound to it

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

stop fooling around with the airbox and resonator and get a short ram instead. here are some dyno results from the AEM SRS
http://www.aempower.com/images/products/22631_hp.pdf
http://www.aempower.com/images/products/22631_tq.pdf

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60 View Post
yeah well i live in florida, not the desert in new mexico.

so i personally know people who have blown their engine hydro locking.

if u are worried about loosing low end then get a sri and not a cai cuz even AEM's dyno will show u that when the cai is bellow 4500 rpm u have less power than stock, and that power only goes up when u are above that. the sri gives u more power though the entire band.
Haven't spent much time in the desert have we?

We have a thing called monsoon season and our soil doesn't hold water well, both of those add up to streets that become rivers. I plan my route on those days to insure I stay away from flooded intersections and I've even posponed my trips home from work to be safe. We don't get a lot of water year round but to use a common saying, when it rains it pours. New Mexico is technicly a desert, but we aren't Arizona.

I have known people who have hydrolocked an engine too, but in all fairness they aren't too bright. I've yet to hear of any Saturn owner hydrolock an engine, it is so uncommon it isn't worth worrying about.

The intake is still quiet a ways above the ground. You are talking deap water. You would have to submerge the better half of your bumper to get the thing underwater.

AEMs dyno sheet shows a loss, Ok. But you have no information about that dyno. You don't know if that is an average or if it is staticly significant. You don't know if it was repeatable. All you have is a graph. One graph without information on how the data was captured isn't enough to make a call. I've seen the same car run multiple tests at running tempature and produce number that were 2 to 3 off. We aren't talking about much more than that on the AEM graph. In fact their graph for the 2000+ showed no loss at lower RPMs if I remember right.

My main point is that the loss (if it happens) is so small you won't really miss it unless you are trying to miss it. A butt dyno is a bad gauge. If you are expecting at loss you will feel one. The increase of power on the high end can make you feel like you lost on the low end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
sl2gold
sl2gold is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1997 SL2

Thanks for all of your input, I think I'm going to reset the computer on my next day off and see how it goes. Also, Mrs Saturn was mentioning the wheelspin which I know to be common with other Saturns, but for some reason, my car just doesn't do it. On one hand, maybe it means it's not making as much power but on a good note, I probably don't have to worry about the diff pin as much. But then again, I read where LoSaturn had 3 different Saturns blow it just driving in traffic so go figure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2gold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2gold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2gold View Post
Thanks for all of your input, I think I'm going to reset the computer on my next day off and see how it goes. Also, Mrs Saturn was mentioning the wheelspin which I know to be common with other Saturns, but for some reason, my car just doesn't do it. On one hand, maybe it means it's not making as much power but on a good note, I probably don't have to worry about the diff pin as much. But then again, I read where LoSaturn had 3 different Saturns blow it just driving in traffic so go figure.
well if ur not getting wheel spin then i bet ur cars an auto? right? if so then u dont have to worry about the diff pin either lol

btw cloud....

river streets whatever, every time it rains in tampa people are trapped in their office buildings lol. and thats not an exaggeration... tampa blows!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2gold View Post
Ok, so I've been searching on the other posts around here as far as airbox mods and so I removed the resonator,and drilled holes in the bottom of the box and in the tube that goes inside. From what I've been reading, alot of folks have said to have noticed increased throttle response, but all it seemed to do for me was lose some low end. It sounded better, but I don't care about that if I'm losing bottom end so I taped up the holes and got my torque back. I thought that you only lose bottom end with a CAI. Did I do something wrong or were my expectaions just incorrect. I was still thinking about getting a short ram intake later this year, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'll get similar results and be disappointed. I like my power down at low and mid range where I can use it in traffic and climbing hills so I don't know if I want to trade that off so that I can feel it at 80mph or whenever. BTW , it's a 99 DOHC 5-speed. So any other DOHC stick shift folks out there, could you tell me what your experience has been with an SRI ? Thanks.
i feel you're gonna have this problem with anything but the stock intake. you lose a little low end torque when you increase the air flow. the engine will come alive once you get over 4000 rpm, tho...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i feel you're gonna have this problem with anything but the stock intake. you lose a little low end torque when you increase the air flow. the engine will come alive once you get over 4000 rpm, tho...

s3aturnr
polly engine mounts ftw!!!

(if u have a manual, they will make ur teeth rattle if u have an auto)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60 View Post
well if ur not getting wheel spin then i bet ur cars an auto? right? if so then u dont have to worry about the diff pin either lol

btw cloud....

river streets whatever, every time it rains in tampa people are trapped in their office buildings lol. and thats not an exaggeration... tampa blows!
Most people doen't live in Tampa. If that is what happens where you live then yeah, use a SRI. But if you don't deal with that, then don't sweat it. I would bet that only a very small portion of the US has weather that would cause issues for a person with a CAI and a brain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
Most people doen't live in Tampa. If that is what happens where you live then yeah, use a SRI. But if you don't deal with that, then don't sweat it. I would bet that only a very small portion of the US has weather that would cause issues for a person with a CAI and a brain.
im about an hour from tampa so its not quite that bad but its still pretty bad, florida as a hole has a water table of 0 meaning that the ground is already saturated with water and cant take anymore. for that reason we cant even have basements for 2 reasons, one is that water would just seep through the walls, and the other (i **** u not) the pressure will literally push the house up out of the ground.

but still when it rains heavy we have standing watter on the roads where i am, a couple years ago we had 4 huricanes have their eye pass over us and most the lakes (there 100 in our city limits) had swallowed the roads surrounding them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!