SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
laji
laji is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission issue possibly fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?

Could my saturn 97 SC-2 's transmission issue also be fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?
The problem happend first as a reverse slam. One day, I started my car in my garage and tried to back out, I can not feel any force, then suddly there is lound noise and transmission gear seems engaged and I can back the car out ok. After it happened just for 2 days, I even can not hear that lound noise and the reverse becomes very weak (sees gear is not engaged), I must push down the gas pedal to increase the engine to very high speed, then I can just barely managed to back out. The situation becomes worse if the car is hot.
I have two transimission shops to check the issue. Both initially said it could be an easy fix. One later said the problem must inside the transmission, not the outside. So they need to remove the whole transmission out to have a detailed check. They charge $800 just for the labor part. (I even do not know what they will charge later). Also he mentioned Check Engine Light is on, the code is related to forward Gear 3 (maybe, I can not remember clearly).
I mentioned this forum, and asked is it possible the loose input shaft nuts, or bad valve body. He said it is possible but must remove the whole transmission out to have a check as all these are inside the transmission.

The second shop said I must rebuild the transmission, which cost >$2000. I asked them also whether it is valve body or input shaft nut, he said it should affect both forward and revese if these thing goes bad.

I forget to mention forward gear change seems not so smooth after that reverse slam. Could just be my bad feeling:-).

I seldom did car maintainace by myself. If I try Wolfman's reverse slam cure method, I need to change transmission fluid. Do I have to raise the car or I can do it with the car on the road?

Thanks for any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laji's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laji reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laji is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Transmission issue possibly fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?

Its a great place to start...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
laji

Default Re: Transmission issue possibly fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?

Thanks,
I'm aware of this procedure. But when I put in reverse, I can not feel any force. I even do not need to chock the wheels and or back it up against a firm immovable object. It just stays there like in Neutral.
Will it still help if I let it runs in about 30min with transmission in reverse?
Or I must replace the valve body or input shaft nuts? (which one it is?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazhere View Post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laji's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laji reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Transmission issue possibly fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laji View Post
Thanks,
I'm aware of this procedure. But when I put in reverse, I can not feel any force. I even do not need to chock the wheels and or back it up against a firm immovable object. It just stays there like in Neutral.
Will it still help if I let it runs in about 30min with transmission in reverse?
Or I must replace the valve body or input shaft nuts? (which one it is?)
wow, so you are saying you have NO reverse at all?

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
laji

Almost, as I said in the first post "The problem happend first as a reverse slam. One day, I started my car in my garage and tried to back out, I can not feel any force, then suddly there is lound noise and transmission gear seems engaged and I can back the car out ok. After it happened just for 2 days, I even can not hear that lound noise and the reverse becomes very weak (sees gear is not engaged), I must push down the gas pedal to increase the engine to very high speed, then I can just barely manage to back out."
will that procedure help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Saturn View Post
wow, so you are saying you have NO reverse at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laji's Reputation
Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Transmission issue possibly fixed by Wolfman's reverse slam cure method?

I think you have have more then a reverse slam problem.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
laji

Does it need rebuild or only need to replace the valve body or input shaft nuts?
saturn dealer say worse case may replace both, cost about $1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Saturn View Post
I think you have have more then a reverse slam problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laji's Reputation
Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

The automatic transmission is very hard to diagnose. Analzing equipment is expensive and afforded by dealership and specialty transmission shops. It is difficult to give you an analysis over the internet or generally by even looking under the hood. Most DIYers will ensure fuses are good in the under the hood fuse panel and the alternator is running to specs. From there do a reverse slam procedure. If there is no cure, a valve body is done. If there is more than average mechanical DIYer expertise, solenoids affected can be tested and replaced. The connection at the buss plate for contamination can short out the solenoids and give the transmission fits. If a valve body internal repair or buss plate is not the problem, a input shaft nut is suspect. Usually the shaft nut comes loose from long periods of the gears hard shifting and slamming. The input shaft nut procedure is in the How-To Library. Most of the above procedures are above average mechanical tasks that needs someone who has the proper setting to work in, tools and skills to complete.

Good Luck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote